• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shiffrin free skiing

Status
Not open for further replies.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you'll remember, we did meet there and couldn't find much off-piste. The assassin dude skis nice zipper lines. And decent on-piste skiing tbh (why do you put him in the off piste only category?). He obviously spends significant time skiing and training on piste. Good opportunities to improve that, too ;). I would say he's definitely working hard at it and has 2 of the 3 ingredients - I wonder about a coach or a model...

It is interesting to hear him describe his bumps technique as "setting the ski on edge and zip it" and "keeping the ski carving". Don't tell Sanity that or he'll blow a fuse - he/she seems to think off-piste is incompatible with carving somehow... or that carving skills don't apply.

Hey, is that Blake Saunders?

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s a black hole. No one’s ever come back from measuring it. Only endless theories.

Excited to see what the next rabbit hole will be! Is Marcel Hirscher good at snowboarding? Can Mikaela do a backflip? How is she at tennis? ;)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Hey l’m going to play golf this afternoon for the first time this season. Hope I don’t injure myself severely ogwink
62712E8C-F767-429D-9984-EAF991B5BC32.jpeg
l wonder what’s Mikaela’s handicap?

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
If you'll remember, we did meet there and couldn't find much off-piste. The assassin dude skis nice zipper lines. And decent on-piste skiing tbh (why do you put him in the off piste only category?). He obviously spends significant time skiing and training on piste. Good opportunities to improve that, too ;). I would say he's definitely working hard at it and has 2 of the 3 ingredients - I wonder about a coach or a model...

It is interesting to hear him describe his bumps technique as "setting the ski on edge and zip it" and "keeping the ski carving". Don't tell Sanity that or he'll blow a fuse - he/she seems to think off-piste is incompatible with carving somehow... or that carving skills don't apply.

Hey, is that Blake Saunders?

Likewise, where did I say that? Carving is great, but that's different than perfecting arc to arc carving. Being able to carve is very useful, but the time invested in perfect arc to arc carving on the groomed runs has diminishing returns for improving difficult off piste skiing.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Carving is great, but that's different than perfecting arc to arc carving.

Uhh. Well, that's an interesting point of view.

Being able to carve is very useful, but the time invested in perfect arc to arc carving on the groomed runs has diminishing returns for improving difficult off piste skiing.

So... what do you call good carving? Someone engaging the edge for how long? 5% of the turn? 50% of the turn? Is there a number you stop at?

Standing on an edge for some time is available to anyone. That's not what I or many others would recognize as "carving".

Last edited:

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Uhh. Well, that's an interesting point of view.

So... what do you call good carving? Someone engaging the edge for how long? 5% of the turn? 50% of the turn? Is there a number you stop at?

Standing on an edge for some time is available to anyone. That's not what I or many others would recognize as "carving".
It's a complicated spectrum. 100% is good for groomed runs.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I still think we need some video of MS skiing bumps to make sure she's good. I looked and can't find any.

“It's not that you can't ski bumps. You can't ski. Bumps prove it.” :ogbiggrin:

I'm guessing if her parents had been bumpers, and the $$$ was anything like alpine racing, she'd have been a bumper and probably 'good'.... most likely 'very good'. I think we often find something that we don't see in someone's skiing, assume they can't, and use it as a means to cheer ourselves (not something I think you're doing) on.... some of the race crowd often does this to other ski disciplines. FWIW, almost everyone I grew up racing with pretty much ripped in the bumps. Several still do, but that was before FIS bumps.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Depends on what definition of monotone you use. In mathematics monotonic simply means constantly increasing or decreasing.

My point was simply that when I work as a FIS TD I need some simple metrics to take.

Well clearly you should be telling me how this all works! :beercheer:

So will try to rephrase it as an explicit question: With the comment re Head what shape of side cut did you have mind (where the radius is tighter towards the center)? Having trouble visualising this without gradient discontinuities. A graph would help.
This means that you can manipulate the turn radiues by e.g. having a tighter radius towards the center of the skis.
I wonder if this is what Head utilized when they had 35m skis that appeared to turn more than competitors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.