• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shiffrin free skiing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
I think it belongs in ski school as an example of perfection. MA anyone? What should we mortals do to ski like this (other than 100 days on snow, coaches, and natural talent cause we don’t have that:) ).

edit: can mods edit Shiffrin name in the title please?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I think it belongs in ski school as an example of perfection. MA anyone? What should we mortals do to ski like this (other than 100 days on snow, coaches, and natural talent cause we don’t have that:) ).

edit: can mods edit Shiffrin name in the title please?
That is a beautiful thing to watch. Imagine being the camera person that has to keep up and hold a camera steady.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That is a beautiful thing to watch. Imagine being the camera person that has to keep up and hold a camera steady.
Looks like a drone cam following her. Hands so relaxed at her sides. Used to be frowned upon but clearly effective and modern.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Looks like a drone cam following her. Hands so relaxed at her sides. Used to be frowned upon but clearly effective and modern.
I thought I saw a guy with a camera skiing behind her. I did notice how little arm movement she was making, it's almost like she isn't using her poles.

TS
Pasha

Pasha

Skier
No poles but the hands/arms are moving like shadow boxing, don’t you think?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I thought I saw a guy with a camera skiing behind her. I did notice how little arm movement she was making, it's almost like she isn't using her poles.
You're right, I see the shadow at the very beginning.

TS
Pasha

Pasha

Skier
I can’t believe no one mentioned the red boots and skis as the reasons for such good skiing. Or may be it’s the black parka? I don’t have a parka like that. I can’t ski like that. Conciseness? I think not!

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's incredible. Look at the float through transition. The skis are in the air (no tracks on fresh groomer). So much power from the ski. Truly a thing of beauty, and something I aspire to.
Tom Gellie just posted a video analysis focusing on her transitions:

I think the title is a bit off, big takeaway from his commentary is that there is no early pressure.

Last edited:

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Tom Gellie just posted a video analysis focusing on her transitions:

I think the title is a bit off, big takeaway from his commentary is that there is no early pressure.
That's really neat. There's also something demonstrated there that ties into a conversation we were having in another thread. You can see that the beginning of the new tracks are at an angle compared to the end of the old tracks. Also, you can see the angle of the skis changing before the location of the beginning of the new tracks. What this shows is rotation of the skis in the air. Since there is no connection to the ground it proves that the skier is providing rotary input through transition. It's called a steering angle. I think many people aren't aware of it, because it's just part of their motion to tip the skis. As the slope gets steeper the steering angle increases. There's not a whole lot of steering angle for these turns, but it's on very mellow terrain.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

The moment a skier starts pushing on the outside stance ski, almost all tipping stops. So it's important to understand that the pressure will come to you, it doesn't need to be created by pushing on our skis. The one minor exception is when you're on a flat and you want to "juice" the skis a bit to build some momentum.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
That's really neat. There's also something demonstrated there that ties into a conversation we were having in another thread. You can see that the beginning of the new tracks are at an angle compared to the end of the old tracks. Also, you can see the angle of the skis changing before the location of the beginning of the new tracks. What this shows is rotation of the skis in the air. Since there is no connection to the ground it proves that the skier is providing rotary input through transition. It's called a steering angle. I think many people aren't aware of it, because it's just part of their motion to tip the skis. As the slope gets steeper the steering angle increases. There's not a whole lot of steering angle for these turns, but it's on very mellow terrain.

Keep on thinking that there's active rotary going on in these turns. MS is not using any active pivoting motion generated from the hip sockets. This is the passive "pivot" that I mentioned elsewhere. Your skiing will suffer if you believe that you must actively "steer" your skis.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is also very obvious why big bulky clothes are a bad idea if you want to see what is going on (not the intention in MS video, but kids in clubs and academies--please wear speed suits when technique training outside gates).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor