• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shop Recommendations in Eastern PA

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does anyone have experience with Pelican in Quakertown? I've bought pants there and looked at the ski rack but never dealt with anyone. Are they more of just a retailer or do they have anyone with knowledge?
Nope.

The two shops by Elk Mountain are pretty good, Idlewild and Guenther's.

I'd also encourage you to give REI a shot. Our two area locations, (Chonchy and KoP,) have so so in store stock but you can order any of the vast ski gear options from the website shipped to the store or your house (shop early season for best selection, when stuff sells out it disappears from the website altogether, 'till next season).
I've found significant shop service improvement from one year to the next, and we are fortunate to have them in our very limited market region ... all the more reason to patronize. The shop guys do the Masterfit academy thing and some go to the Industry Demo event in New England. You may even find the occasional transplant employee from "real" mountain towns with years of ski experience.

IME, the few local ski shops tend to stock more of the gear suited to our local PA and New England conditions.

Good luck.

WildBillD

Booting up
Skier
Try Guenther's on the way to Elk mountain. Scott has a montana, and many resident PSIA examiners, race kids, and instructors at Elk use him. Elk advertises itself as Vermont skiing without the drive.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
The only time I've been in the Quakertown Pelican, I was basically ignored for 20 minutes, at which point I left. The Pelican stores are all individually owned and operated (from what I have read) and that contracted starkly to the one in Morris Plains NJ, which was my go-to store when I lived in that area

ihocky2

Putting on skis
Skier
I guess it depends on what you are looking for also. With boots it’s very hard for me to not recommend Billy. But I have giant calfs (feet aren’t too crazy) that makes even ski socks be tight enough to impact circulation until I stretch them.

For skis Alpina is another recommendation but I usually l prefer the advice I get here myself because you have more options/choices.

So what are you looking for?
At this point nothing really, but it is always nice to know who is decent and who is just going to sell you what you think looks cool. Plus you never know who is going to have a good end of season sale.