• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Short radius carver for light skier?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking for a new short radius carving ski for my youngest. She is 5’8”, 122lbs, and still growing.
She is not afraid of speed, but doesn’t have much technical skiing training.

Our local hill (Spirit) is not very big or steep, so we need something that will bend into a short radius turn at moderate speeds. At the same time, want something with some stability and edge hold at speed, for when we visit Lutsen.

Looking for something in the 68-76mm waist I think, for quick edge changes and good edge bite.
She has a Ripstick 94W, 163cm for out west, and skied that all over Solitude and Brighton last year.
She had a kids allround basic race ski in 145 cm last year.
This year she is about 2” taller and 20lbs heavier.

Looking at Volkl, Salomon, Fischer, Blizzard, Atomic, Nordica.

The Ski match function gives the following skis:

@Tricia , thanks for your help steering me away from the other ski, were these the ones you were thinking of?

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Use the Rips at Spirit, my daughter uses mine at times and loves them. Especially the weight.

Get whatever carver on your list for the best price. Do you still get shop deals?

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Use the Rips at Spirit, my daughter uses mine at times and loves them. Especially the weight.

Get whatever carver on your list for the best price. Do you still get shop deals?
Yeah, she enjoys the Ripsticks, but they are pretty wide and long, so I want a narrower, dedicated carving ski to help her develop that skill and enjoyment and keep her knees in good shape.

Indeed, I work at a shop. We don’t have anything on the shop floor that’s suitable size/model for her, so I will have the shop order something, and then I get a decent discount off the list price, even for brand new models.
Availability is limited right now, so that’s why I want to get a short list. Our guy had made me a list of stuff that was available, but they were on the beefy side (he coaches kids race program), so I wanted to get some input from (female/smaller) testers for more recreational skiers.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ADKmel you skied some of these skis it sounds like?
And @AmyPJ you skied at least the Cloud 11?

The Blizzard R14 Pro are avaible in her size, but @Tricia’s reviews suggest the R13Ca at her weight/skill. Also, Ski mags review mentioned that they don’t like short radius turns untill you get them up to speed, which is the opposite of what we need at Spirit.

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dwight , I don’t think I’ll make it out to Madison (any time soon).
Hoping to order some soon to give her for Christmas.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
@ADKmel you skied some of these skis it sounds like?
And @AmyPJ you skied at least the Cloud 11?

The Blizzard R14 Pro are avaible in her size, but @Tricia’s reviews suggest the R13Ca at her weight/skill. Also, Ski mags review mentioned that they don’t like short radius turns untill you get them up to speed, which is the opposite of what we need at Spirit.
yes I demo'd or owned all the skis I mentioned. I owned the prior cloud models think they were 2018-2020 Cloud 11's (I had all the heaven gates series for years and a couple yrs of cloud 11's )
I still demo All the atomics 'just to see" and they are still a great carving ski, IMO-
the 2023 11's my notes say :fun stable need longer (the demo was 153cm (i'm on 163-165's)
the 2023 Cloud 14's were more like a race ski- smaller sweet spot-

Blizzards- I demo'd them, I love to make short turns.. my notes say the R13 was a bit more tame- I ski aggressively so I liked the R14- since I do ski fast. My notes say "Fun" but not aggressive- so still not racey in my terms (I have race background but now trying lol to slow down)

My 2023 demo ski winner was the Stockli CX- in a 163- it was like having roller blades on.. If I didn't have 2 pair of liberty 76w's (i bought a back up pair because I love them) I would get the CX's I still may-- Liberty's reward good technique and are very nice carvers- I demo'd all the stockli's and thought I'd not be happy on my 76w's - but I was still happy why I bought a back up pair when I saw them on sale for 300$!

Another great ski was Salomon Sons of a blast- I demo'd them a couple yrs ago at Mt tremblant- OMG another ski that loves to be on edge and had no speed limit. not sure what the newest model would be but they also were awesome SL ski. I added a photo of them.

Hope this helps..

Attachments

• 88997205_10218601399977644_8419490786248228864_n.jpg
    88997205_10218601399977644_8419490786248228864_n.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 12

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
But for a person who, "...doesn't have much technical ski training...." would the Power Joy be too demanding?

"Who is it not for? Intermediates need not apply. The skier who can’t control a carving ski; it will throw the inexperienced."

I sure like my Head Supershape e-Original carvers, 66 mm waist, turn radius of 10 or 11 meters. No matter what bloopers I make the skis never complain nor throw me. Corbetts has these at a good price (convert from Canadian dollars) and no tax or shipping charge. The 156 cm might be just right for her. What binding does she need for her weight and boots, adult or junior?
https://www.head.com/en_US/supershape-e-original-313391-set.html

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Adult Gripwalk boot, 25.5

Staying away from Head. We might be able to order them, but we din’t normally carry their skis, so I just want to stick with one of ur stock brands, to make it easy for our buyer and not have the shop eat big shipping chargers for a one off order:

Atomic, K2, Blizzard, Salomon, Fischer, Völkl

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But for a person who, "...doesn't have much technical ski training...." would the Power Joy be too demanding?

"Who is it not for? Intermediates need not apply. The skier who can’t control a carving ski; it will throw the inexperienced."

I sure like my Head Supershape e-Original carvers, 66 mm waist, turn radius of 10 or 11 meters. No matter what bloopers I make the skis never complain nor throw me. Corbetts has these at a good price (convert from Canadian dollars) and no tax or shipping charge. The 156 cm might be just right for her. What binding does she need for her weight and boots, adult or junior?
https://www.head.com/en_US/supershape-e-original-313391-set.html
The e-Original is a stronger ski than the PowerJoy. Since she is getting stronger and not afraid of speed is why I suggested the PJ.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
just listen to @Philpug suggestion…with ur connections, you’ll be able to find one at a good price..

Last edited:

Sponsor