• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shorter Radius Carving Ski

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How does she feel about GS skis?
I find I can't really enjoy GS skis on a small hill, so I like to get on them when I have a chance on a larger hill. The SL skis's super power requires you to give up some of what makes a GS ski so good on a large hill, a 12-m radius 156 cm long ski requires giving up a little more than the 13-m 165, too much more imho, but that don't matter if our on a small hill anyway.
what is small hills? our favorite runs is 313, yes I'd like longer, but its 10mins, I like to ski cheater GS there (and FIS masters for masters)

she prefers SL ... but! last year I replaced her 25M rossi with 21M atomic (FIS masters, so we can do whatever), and she is now warming up to them, she was also borrowed some 27M head, which she loved. she generally prefers softer spec skis (when talking FIS) she can flex in a way she can ski that ski "shorter than intended" if I can explain it correctly.

She did also ride my laser GS cheater 185s (19? something radius) so much she even got her own pair of laser GS 180cm! which she loves and are able to flex well.

Our local mountain (can see from window) is 400-500? meters something total, but our normal run is 313 meters vert, we can choose black/red/blue, but usually go black/black or red/black. (the black is not that black, only rated black because of brief 42 degrees at times)

I cant do 12m radius for long, and prefer not to on bigger mountains, just to old and out of shape it feels, its hilarious when you see guys that do though, its rare and far apart. I met 2 last year, talked with both, 1 of them was a park rat in his 20s (ex ski racer) with his gf that wanted to do turny skiiing. he was visibly tired after doing hip scrapers for 3-400 vert. the other one was doing a doctorate on alpine/slalom/, really pushing it and his shape before nationals, awesome sight when on lift (the steep run is below lift)

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I tend to ski my SL's in the morning work on technique both for SL for fun and GS style turns (though smaller radius but not SL radius) at ultra slow speed. Shows errors very quickly as it brings you to a stop. Speed hides errors, lack of it brings errors to the frnt. When done right its the neatest feeling to feel like a high speed GS turn, only a ultra slow speeds. Too be fair it takes a moment for your brain to adjust to faster relaxes required on GS and higher speeds, so careful that first run or two after transition.

GS the rest of the day, some at higher speed (conditions ie lack of skiers on the slope allows) stuff. For me because I spent so much of my life on straight skis, when I get tired go back to old straight ski technique and play, GS let me do that too, but I don't recommend it to others because they do bite you if you fail to ski them with authority.

My ski of choice GS, daily drive, SL the consist pop when they are pushed.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
what is small hills? our favorite runs is 313

Vertical drop for some small hill in Eastern Canada can be a whopping 61 meter (200 feet).

1700663057180.png

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Small is small... but if you ski close to the speed of light, everything slows down... maybe FP is on to something....

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Small is small... but if you ski close to the speed of light, everything slows down... maybe FP is on to something....

Raise you're hand if you've ever actually skied through all the way through the base area and out into the parking lot (unintentionally). I have. I won't say how old I was when it happened.

If you have, it shows that - among other things - you really understand what a small area is.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Skied from Timberline lodge to Government Camp,Oregon on the road 6 miles. Does that count.

TS
M

Mr Boombastic

Booting up
Skier
Alright so here's my summary.

I really appreciate the input. I hope it helps others too. I really want a new 165 but at 7-900 it's kinda silly if I can wait to get a great used ski for half that.

Now, because I'm 150 pounds and ski a 300 foot vert hill most of my 50 days/year I'm seriously considering getting a 156 or 158 full FIS WC ski, which can be found brand new pretty reasonably. My understanding is these are the women's versions. Then I can have fun with that while watching for a deal (used or new) on a 165 or something else, depending on how I like the 158.

Those ants in my pants are getting the best of me .

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
remember, women are pretty darn good skiers, that 155/156/157/158 is no joke and plenty ski, even for men much heavier than you.

any FIS SL sounds like the most fun with that danish sized mountain

weird there are no 2nd hand or cheap avail? here I can get 50+ FIS SL within 30 minutes of driving, just checking local marketplace/misc

TS
M

Mr Boombastic

Booting up
Skier
remember, women are pretty darn good skiers, that 155/156/157/158 is no joke and plenty ski, even for men much heavier than you.

any FIS SL sounds like the most fun with that danish sized mountain

weird there are no 2nd hand or cheap avail? here I can get 50+ FIS SL within 30 minutes of driving, just checking local marketplace/misc
I've been watching diligently to no avail. Yeah I'm guessing that I'd love a 158 full FIS WC sl ski. That'll give me more money to get some new zipfits ☺.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now, because I'm 150 pounds and ski a 300 foot vert hill most of my 50 days/year I'm seriously considering getting a 156 or 158 full FIS WC ski

In all honesty I just cannot see how you can go wrong here. On such a small hill such ski is the only way to really enjoy skiing. Anything longer-you blink twice and it is over.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My understanding is these are the women's versions. Then I can have fun with that while watching for a deal (used or new) on a 165 or something else, depending on how I like the 158.

Be cognizant that women's 157/159 and men's 165 are FIS minimum length requirements. Not maximum.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Grabbed these out of the shed this morning for the WROD, dusted them off, ran a file, coat of wax & off to
Heavenly’s one narrow beginner run of machine made ice & sugar. They are 160cm (not FIS, probably a Master’s version) at least 10 or 15 yrs old & I don’t think I’ve been on them in a few years. What a kick :) & the perfect ski to make me grin on an otherwise boring run for 3 solid hours!
IMG_8076.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online