• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Should have gotten the Enforcer 94 over the 88

I'm listening

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
OK. I bought skis online, as demo options in Europe are very limited, especially over 80 mm. After a lot of reading I chose the Salomon Stance 90 but they were already out of stock. So I went for the Enforcer 88 @ 179 (me: 5'9'', 190 lbs, 48 years old, skiing since age 5). I was reluctant to go over 90 mm as I really ski mostly on piste. Also, was attracted to the turned up tails, as in the last year have dealt with some back issues, so a ski that doesn't lock me in a turn should fit.
First impression was: tips are too short! Mounted on the line, but the rocker and a higher delta on the binding did that.
Second impression - not heavy or stiff. Not really carving skis. Somewhat reminded me of the straight skis. The first 2 days were ice with death cookies in the morning and slushy bumps in the afternoon. Afterwards, it started snowing so the conditions were very varied.
On ice they really hold well. Really nice bump ski for me. Fresh snow, crud, slush - on piste really nice and easy. Last day there was fresh snow above the boot, but also bad visibility (and my legs were already tired) so wider would have been nicer.
On the second day there was a Nordica test tent on the mountain (I knew that they MIGHT be there, with no way yto know in advance what they'll have available) and I tried the 94. It was still icy and hard. I didn't feel that there was anything the 94 did less well, rather that they were more stable, even on the hard snow. My guess is that the Enforcer profile negates the benefits of a slimmer waist, and a ski with less tail rocker (Brahma or Stance) would feel "carvier" and the waist difference more pronounced. I like the feel of a carved high angle turn and that's not easy at all to achieve on the Enforcers (other than that they were good).
Overall I'm quite happy: I had a good ski trip, and had no back issues whatsoever (thanks to my Pilates instructor, too). OTOH If I had gone a bit wider it might have been better, especially if I'd rented some Atomic GS ski for the first 2 days.
Maybe if I put a 97 bevel on them (instead of 98 from the factory)?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Folks I know who got the Enforcer 88 and kept it as a main ski, liked that it was primarily an off piste and all mountain bump ski for them, although a compromise as a carver on piste: just like @anders_nor said. I skied with those guys, and what I noticed is they were not truly carving or laying that ski over: they were side-slipping/slarving on smooth groomers - a controlled high speed skid - rather than really carving on edge. And they liked it that way (having skis with a frontside/on piste bias that carved much better, but were not as easy in bumps or off piste uneven). To me, the 94 carved slightly better (or more) than the 88, on the particular days I demoed their tunes!

The 100 and 104, on the other hand, handle some powder and crud more optimally. (And the 115 Enforcer would probably be called a top but easy carving ski in the powder/crud category by a lot of people.)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Take a look at the SoothSki report for these skis. What we see again and again, is that when there are skis in the same model series, the narrower models are often "dumbed down"; they're softer both longitudinally and torsionally. For whatever reason, they want to equate the desire for a narrower ski with less-skilled skiers. Of course this isn't always the case, so for giggles I also included the 2021 versions of these skis. Lo and behold, Nordica didn't do that in 2021, but clearly did with the 2022 skis.

The only conclusion I've come to is that you cannot make any conclusion unless you've actually skied the ski in question in the exact length and model year of your intended purchase. It's either that or trust the SoothSki data and cross your fingers that the exact skis you're interested in are in their database.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
the 88 is a good bumpski, good grip, but just to soft for carving and other stuff, so imho it doesnt make that much sense.
Agree, it's good for bumps and tight Eastern trees. Kind of "works" everywhere else.
On the second day there was a Nordica test tent on the mountain (I knew that they MIGHT be there, with no way yto know in advance what they'll have available) and I tried the 94. It was still icy and hard. I didn't feel that there was anything the 94 did less well, rather that they were more stable, even on the hard snow. My guess is that the Enforcer profile negates the benefits of a slimmer waist, and a ski with less tail rocker (Brahma or Stance) would feel "carvier" and the waist difference more pronounced. I like the feel of a carved high angle turn and that's not easy at all to achieve on the Enforcers (other than that they were good).

I'd take the 88 over the 94 for bumps and tight trees (I have an 88, demoed the 93 in 2019). If I wanted a better carving ~90mm ski, there are definitely better options; but the Enforcers are great choice for a more off-piste oriented ~90mm ski.
Maybe if I put a 97 bevel on them (instead of 98 from the factory)?
Have not tried this but I have thought about it. For icy days I reach for my carvers with a more aggressive tune. I think the Enforcer 88 works best on softer snow and I find myself not fully committing to a pure carve on this ski when conditions get icy. I'll desperately look for snow on the sides of the trail or try to find some piles to turn in.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
My guess is that the Enforcer profile negates the benefits of a slimmer waist, and a ski with less tail rocker (Brahma or Stance) would feel "carvier" and the waist difference more pronounced.
I think it's the shape of the tip more than the tail profile. That Nordica tip just does not engage and pull through a turn. I actually owned the Navigator 90-something? The green ones. Same tip with a square flatish tail. Really under-capable ski in the same way that the Enforcer/Santa Ana is.
With the negative comments out of the way, I will say that they don't get grabby in weird snow.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it's the shape of the tip more than the tail profile. That Nordica tip just does not engage and pull through a turn.

Yup. But they DO carve -- just not until you get them "up there" on a pretty high edge angle.

I've been more than a bit of an Enforcer fanboi since V.1, and I have to say that my new Experience 86 tis do everything better and more exhuberantly than my Enf 88s. Including off-piste and bumps -- don't know about pow, because I've got Enf 100s, a width where the Enf design is a near-perfect compromise IMO.

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
Yup. But they DO carve -- just not until you get them "up there" on a pretty high edge angle.

I have the Enforcer 94 and would say you have to get them up on a moderate edge angle to carve. The tip is not designed to engage a turn quickly but the tail is fine for pulling you through the turn. For those looking to primarily rail turns on piste there are better options. But for those who want to ski all over the mountain on the same day the Enforcer is a great option.

Last edited:

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
My take on the Enforcer 88's 1st gen:

As a lifelong skier and one who is still in an adult race league, I like to think I know how to carve. I have SL & GS Volkl Racetigers, Deacon 80's (172), Enforcer 88's (179) and Kore 105 (180) and ski primarily in the Mid Atlantic with 1-2 trips out west every year. My race skis are primarily used on race days or race clinics. My Deacons are my designated local hill ski. They replaced my RTM 81 2nd gen with camber. My Enoforcer 88's replaced my Bonafides 2nd gen. I went narrower as I don't seem to have much luck with freshies when I go west. Turns out I love them!! Not only out west as a daily driver, but as a fun all around ski for the 750' hills I ski.

The Deacon series of skis are more carve and front side focused than the RTM series it replaced. Feels like a wider racer ski where you have to be on edge and forward all the time. The Enforcers are way more forgiving while still giving me the stability I need for the speed I like to ski. On soft snow I am able to lay down big tracks on the 88's almost effortlessly. On firmer snow there might be a bit of skid if I don't set the edge enough but very predictable. I have found I like skiing the E88's as much if not more than my Deacons. My friends tell me I rip on the 88's!

Which brings me to the Kore 105's which I bought on a whim after swearing off 100+ skis. I was going to be driving to Colorado with a top box and room to take multiple skis and the price of the Kores were too good to pass up. The Enforcers were my first choice except for 2 days when we got fresh and took the 105's. Also skied the Deacons a couple of days before letting my nephew use. Hands down my best days were on the 88's.

The 88's have become one of my favorite skis of all time! Very happy with the purchase. They were exactly what I was looking for. Of course, that is subjective, and you may have been looking for something else. To me they are a winner!!
1647612687017.png

Rick G

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
can I ask what you weigh? I liked the ski, but felt they were just to unsupportive when you got the angles high, and speed, like an adult (fat) man on a childrens GS

I was 230'ish when I owned them, and just felt they would always give in, in front, or behind binding/boot.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
can I ask what you weigh? I liked the ski, but felt they were just to unsupportive when you got the angles high, and speed, like an adult (fat) man on a childrens GS

I was 230'ish when I owned them, and just felt they would always give in, in front, or behind binding/boot.

I am a relatively fit 185-190 at 5'9". Relatively fit is a relative term! LOL

Rick G

TS
I

I'm listening

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Just to reiterate: the Enforcer 88 are nice, and I had a lot of fun. I will be playing with the tune/edges. However they are often described as stiff and heavy. Not so IMHO. I don't know if on a more carving orientated ski my back would have been trouble free
My second takeaway, for this profile of ski, the wider waist is much more appropriate.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January