should I cancel florida trip this week?

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
Joined
Sep 13, 2017
Posts
565
Location
Michigan
Ya, Cuba will knock it down a couple levels before it gets to FL But, still TONS AND TONS of rain and wind Tuesday through Thursday in S Florida for sure.
Western Cuba isn't nearly as mountainous as Eastern, and after it crosses there's a lot of warm water to spool the engine back up. That can happen pretty quickly.

My grandfather and his brother were among the last people to leave Key Largo before the Labor Day 1935 storm hit, and they were the first ones to head back down after it passed. Fifty years later he still didn't want to talk about it much.
 
Thread Starter
TS
noobski

noobski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Joined
Dec 29, 2020
Posts
409
Location
Midwest
Better safe than sorry- no amount of $$ can change Stress and the what if's!! Find something to do with the family- go to a fancy hotel- movies dinner out all that pocket $$ you have, spend it with them..
OR Book a ski trip :)
Thanks. We'll see. Unwinding things today and then will reassess. Might try staycation. Key is I have to put my work files away or I'll turn to them out of habit or when bored. That's why staycations are hard for me. I like my work a lot sometimes without knowing it's actually wearing on me.
@noobski are you potentially able to resell your lodging at a significant discount? Or could you make a deal with them to exchange for a future reservation in their low season at a good incremental price that makes the rebooking a win win for both parties
No. It's an owner we known for years. She's really awesome. Might be willing to help, but we knew and agree going in she's not on the line. That's also why we bought the insurance. The insurance should pay though if that storm creates a no travel warning this week...fingers crossed.

We have a really good relationship with her and their management company. That said, they will likely do a rebook and if they do they will likely co-share it or knock our rate down a bit. But not planning on it.
 

Jerez

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Joined
Nov 25, 2015
Posts
2,344
Location
New Mexico
You made the right decision for you and your family. I see you have been through this before so it would not have been an adventure, just a drag.
 

Spnole

Putting on skis
Skier
Joined
Nov 4, 2017
Posts
73
Location
Florida
I live in Florida. Have been through several hurricanes in the last 20 years. Rule of thumb, 2 or under it's a toss up. 3,4,or 5 with a direct strike within 200 miles either way, it's going to be bad. I saw the devastation of Andrew, Charley, and Wilma first hand. Not something to joke about. Watch the animals, if you don't see birds where you usually see birds, that's a premonition that something bad is going to happen. If you don't have to come, don't. You made the right decision.
 

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Joined
Nov 9, 2017
Posts
1,671
Location
Wasatch and NZ
I live in Florida. Have been through several hurricanes in the last 20 years. Rule of thumb, 2 or under it's a toss up. 3,4,or 5 with a direct strike within 200 miles either way, it's going to be bad. I saw the devastation of Andrew, Charley, and Wilma first hand. Not something to joke about. Watch the animals, if you don't see birds where you usually see birds, that's a premonition that something bad is going to happen. If you don't have to come, don't. You made the right decision.
Especially given mitigating circumstances like possible insurance payout and the owner possibly helping him out toward another rebooking. I also think he did the right thing.
 

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Joined
Jan 6, 2016
Posts
1,699
Location
Southern Adirondacks NY
Thanks. We'll see. Unwinding things today and then will reassess. Might try staycation. Key is I have to put my work files away or I'll turn to them out of habit or when bored. That's why staycations are hard for me. I like my work a lot sometimes without knowing it's actually wearing on me.

No. It's an owner we known for years. She's really awesome. Might be willing to help, but we knew and agree going in she's not on the line. That's also why we bought the insurance. The insurance should pay though if that storm creates a no travel warning this week...fingers crossed.

We have a really good relationship with her and their management company. That said, they will likely do a rebook and if they do they will likely co-share it or knock our rate down a bit. But not planning on it.

Lock up the work in a room or the trunk of your car, unplug the phone, it's hard but betting you can do it, although I totally get it, I'm a workaholic too. I work every day-

Side note, I lived in Fla for 20yrs so went thru several. Like @Spnole said 1,2 ok. but 3+ are not fun, you have to be ready to evacuate at a moments notice and the WINDS, flying coconuts and palm fronds and other debris is bad, during one the intercoastal was so high the water was lapping at my front door I lived 2 blocks from it! IMO- You made the right choice. I Hope you find some fun adventures with your family.
 
Thread Starter
TS
noobski

noobski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Joined
Dec 29, 2020
Posts
409
Location
Midwest
Thanks everyone for your feedback and support! Appreciate you taking this journey. If we do something else, I'll post a trip report.

And @Dwight - yep, that's on the list. We'll have to share a beer sometime when the snow flies. Cheers!
 

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Joined
Nov 17, 2015
Posts
6,222
Location
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Thanks. We'll see. Unwinding things today and then will reassess. Might try staycation. Key is I have to put my work files away or I'll turn to them out of habit or when bored. That's why staycations are hard for me. I like my work a lot sometimes without knowing it's actually wearing on me.

No. It's an owner we known for years. She's really awesome. Might be willing to help, but we knew and agree going in she's not on the line. That's also why we bought the insurance. The insurance should pay though if that storm creates a no travel warning this week...fingers crossed.

We have a really good relationship with her and their management company. That said, they will likely do a rebook and if they do they will likely co-share it or knock our rate down a bit. But not planning on it.
In that case, you can always change your mind and go at the last minute if things don't happen the way they are currently predicted to.
 

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Joined
Nov 12, 2015
Posts
13,487
Location
The Bull City
Fiona is going to run over Nova Scotia. Looks like worst storm on record for them..
Be careful what you ask for! Do we need a "Should I cancel my trip to Greenland" thread?
 

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Joined
Jan 6, 2016
Posts
1,699
Location
Southern Adirondacks NY
Hope it calms down for all the floridians
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/234542.shtml?gm_track#contents

1663982477267.png
 

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Joined
Feb 18, 2016
Posts
1,171
Location
Whitefish or Florida
Thanks everyone for your feedback and support! Appreciate you taking this journey. If we do something else, I'll post a trip report.

And @Dwight - yep, that's on the list. We'll have to share a beer sometime when the snow flies. Cheers!
I'm late to the party here but you made the right choice. I live across the bay (St Pete) from @Spnole and we will start moving the downstairs contents of the house up on saw horses, blocks, etc this morning. We have a friend's house to go to that is 30' above sea level, ours is at 4' . If you had seen the damage Hurricane Charley did to Sanibel / Ft Meyers back in 2004 you would not be asking any questions. That one was supposed to go directly over my house but it juked right and whacked Ft Meyers instead. You never know.

Every road out of Florida will be in gridlock by Sunday, you will likely run out of gas, have no place to stay and have to camp by the side of the road. Better to shelter in place if you can or move close by to higher ground and to a sturdy structure.

A cat 4 storm just offshore will bring a 10' plus storm surge to Tampa Bay or Boca Grande and even if it goes westward and clears peninsular FL by 100 miles that surge can be significant to any barrier island. I've been through this many times and we are prepared for storm surge as much as possible. The upstairs however has never seen 100+ mph winds and is likely to end up in the bay. It has hurricane clips and is pretty sturdy but I have a roof the looks like it was designed to reach altitude in a storm.

I've lived here in the swamp for more than 50 years but this one may drive me out.
elswampo.jpg
 
Top