• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

should I cancel florida trip this week?

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
one of the issues for me that I just realized when reading @dbostedo post is that I, too, know kind of what it's like to be in or near a storm there. We went through a 90mph+TD to low Cat 1 10 years ago. It was fine. but we were in the condo for 3 days straight locked in and I said after ward: that was cool, but never want to do that again and then about 5 years ago, East coast had a Hurricane and it missed us, but it was still impactful to the area. Ocean, barometric, everything changed and became unfun and weird/eerie. I think that's part of the reason I'm looking for confirmation. I've been there and didn't like it and in both cases realize that no matter where that hurricane may be it's a downer for the entire area 100+-200 miles wide.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Paging @Fuller to the Ski Talk courtesy phone (FL resident, when he isn't skiing in MT).

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
and most of them wouldn't leave Captiva/Sanibel unless it was a 3.
True, but even so to me it appears unlikely to hit the SW FL coast. For sure though, if it clears the Yucatan Channel as an organized storm it'll set up some nasty surf there.

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
and most of them wouldn't leave Captiva/Sanibel unless it was a 3.

would this get them to move out of Sanibel?

1663901611861.png

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
You obviously don't understand S. Florida oldtimers! I've been in Michigan for thirty years, but if I could move to Homosassa next week I'd have my house packed up by Monday.
I agree with this by the way :)

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
FYI - NOAA has finally started projecting a cone...I would say FL is now reasonably in play now.

1663930278832.png

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife will be very happy to hear that I have another opportunity to say that I WAS WRONG!

If I lived on the SW coast I'd be stocking up on water and canned goods today.
Yeah, unfortunately we're pulling the plug this morning.

It sucks, because still not sure I can get insurance out of this. This problem is relatively small compared to being down there.

I'll pray the region gets missed and everyone is safe.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah, unfortunately we're pulling the plug this morning.

It sucks, because still not sure I can get insurance out of this. This problem is relatively small compared to being down there.

I'll pray the region gets missed and everyone is safe.

Better safe than sorry- no amount of $$ can change Stress and the what if's!! Find something to do with the family- go to a fancy hotel- movies dinner out all that pocket $$ you have, spend it with them..
OR Book a ski trip :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, Cuba will knock it down a couple levels before it gets to FL But, still TONS AND TONS of rain and wind Tuesday through Thursday in S Florida for sure.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Unfortunately, Atlantic Canada is going to get whacked this weekend. This will be a memorable, dangerous storm for those folks. Fingers crossed for all my relatives out that way...:(

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
@noobski are you potentially able to resell your lodging at a significant discount? Or could you make a deal with them to exchange for a future reservation in their low season at a good incremental price that makes the rebooking a win win for both parties

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Unfortunately, Atlantic Canada is going to get whacked this weekend. This will be a memorable, dangerous storm for those folks. Fingers crossed for all my relatives out that way...:(

I was just looking at the GFS for that - looks like some serious snow converting to 10c rain, from ME to the QC/NL border.

Sponsor

Staff online