• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Should we practice falling?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So how do you practice going over the knuckle area of a jump, only to find out they shaved a lot of the snow away from the last time you did it? :)

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Over the years whenever I’ve got hurt it was on slow speed falls, probably because of fighting it. The falls at speed go much better, generally end up on one hip or other just going with the flow.
Think best advice is to just roll with it and pay attention to what your new path is.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So how do you practice going over the knuckle area of a jump, only to find out they shaved a lot of the snow away from the last time you did it? :)
Back in the day it was you ski patrol folks who wrecked all our good jumps.. Serious answer.. Hands forward and pop UP and you should be able to manage regardless of any minor changes in the lip of the jump.. Major changes you will see on approach and know to be a little more conservative on the approach speed and pop..

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
In my two season-ending falls, there was no warning and no way I could have done anything to soften the impact. They happened fast.

One was a very low-speed fall in spring bumps when one ski penetrated the bump and the other didn't. I tipped over and landed on my shoulder at zero miles per hour. Crack! the humerus broke. OH well.

The other, I was making nice round turns near the trail's edge in wonderful spring cream cheese and who-knows-what happened. I went down onto my back, sliding head first at speed into the woods. I took out two saplings on the way to the huge boulder that stopped me. Crack! shattered scapula and broken clavicle. Thank goodness it wasn't my neck, head, or spine that impacted the boulder. It could have been the end, but it wasn't.

No amount of practice falling could have made either of those accidents less damaging. I no longer ski near the trail edge. I think about heading into the woods at the speed of my turns now, so I don't go fast as often as I used to. I still ski bumps as frequently as I can, but I ask them kindly not to do to what that bump did to my ski that day.

I rarely fall now. Sometimes I drop while just standing still. How does that happen? It can be humiliating, or funny, depending on who is watching. But I do remember those two significant falls almost every time I'm out.

Last edited:
TS
D

D. Trenker

Putting on skis
Skier
I used to demo falling to beginners to show them it’s no big deal. Then I’d demo getting up. No way I’d do that now.

I do however still tell people if they get out of control- get low by grabbing knees, try to turn uphill, if unsuccessful, jump to the side. I used to demo it, but I agree with Danny Glover.

But, panic usually sets in and they ignore it, do the natural - throw the arms up in the air, gyrate the body, and explode awkwardly.

I did have a kid once who was really good at falling. The problem was, in the middle of a turn she’d basically throw herself to the ground. It was one of the oddest things I’ve seen, but she was really good at it. When I commented, “wow, you’re really good at falling”, she said she did some sort of marshall art.
What would happen is she’d start a turn, get scared as she accelerated, then activate the “get to ground” sequence I guess she practiced.
I think for people who learned to ski at a young age, we gradually wiped out and grew taller and learned how to mitigate. I suspect that getting into a crouch or ball shape is then done instinctively, along with easing down on the uphill side.
I have seen people who are trained in gymnastics automatically go into a front roll if they are running and trip forwards, (not with skis) it must feel natural to them and happens very fast almost as a reflex.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of my actions are pretty much automatic when a fall is inevitable. In a forward fall, I tuck my head in and go into a shoulder roll. In a backward fall, I try to roll over to my side so the knees are protected. Star fish down a steep incline? I just bend over and kiss my a$$ goodbye.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Falling on, or rather off, a mountain bike is scarier than falling on skis. Tucking and rolling is a learned, non instinctual move that has saved me more than once. Now that I am approaching my mid-sixties I tend to mtb more carefully. Rocks and trees are not soft.

Come to think of it, I ski more carefully as well. Still fall at least once most days though.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Should we practice falling?

No.

when I try to hold my edges on a steep and icy patch and I am not strong enough, my skis wash out in the downhill direction and I end up sliding on my hip.

That doesn't sound like a strength issue - sounds more like an issue not maintaining an appropriate platform angle.

TS
D

D. Trenker

Putting on skis
Skier
That doesn't sound like a strength issue - sounds more like an issue not maintaining an appropriate platform angle.
[/QUOTE]
You may have a valid point.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I think this was the article I remember? https://vermontskisafety.com/research/tips/
(from Vermont Safety Research)
  • Keep arms forward
  • Keep feet together
  • Keep hands over skis
  • Do not try to fully straighten your legs during a fall
  • Do not try to sit down after losing control
  • Do not try get up until you have stopped sliding (unless it is to avoid obstacle)
  • Land jumps on both skis with knees flexed
When I worked in the ski biz, ACL injury prevention was a big deal. All on snow staff were required to view a video on it. Part of that video was dedicated to how to fall.
Here is one I found with a quick search...

Ski racers are instructed to slide to a stop & NOT dig their skis in even it means hitting the netting.
Or you could just do like Max did a couple weeks ago...

During my teaching years I always demonstrated falling (emergency stop) & getting up with first-timers as well as having students practice it at least once. My reasoning was that in a panic situation it could save them from injury.

I have seen people who are trained in gymnastics automatically go into a front roll if they are running and trip forwards, (not with skis) it must feel natural to them and happens very fast almost as a reflex.
I spent a few years coaching a group of aspiring aerialists who where former gymnasts. One day while out skiing powder one of them dug their tips in & was on their way to a major head plant! She instinctively tucked, rolled & was back on her feet without missing a beat :).
Kangaroos.JPG

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Nowadays when I wipe out it is typically when I try to hold my edges on a steep and icy patch and I am not strong enough,

Is it really a strength thing?

Like with whitewater kayaking, everyone is fasinated with learning how to roll. A roll is the easiest thing that you will learn in boating. I prefer to teach people to first stay upright.

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
I still demonstrate getting up to beginners who have fallen and can't get up.
Yesterday, I watched a fellow slide on his belly slowly all the way down a pitch. By the time he came to a stop he had his pants full of snow but was somehow still smiling.
The OP mentioned skis straying on ice. For me staying upright on ice requires strength, balance, and technique. It ain't always pretty, but it beats falling.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seems like every fall is from being tok far forward or back.back.

A tip over happens now and then. This year i've had two rock clip faceplants that were ugly but noninjurious. Blame it in the thin cover and skiing downhill

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Practice? Probably not.

Learn from falling. For sure. The tuck and roll technique can be a life saver. Better to be a wheel on the snow than a plank.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was going to start a thread about self arrest to get ideas of what I could have done differently.
I fell two days ago on a pretty steep bump run. Snow was actually very nice, not icy or even hard packed but I fell on my back with my head downhill. I felt like a flipped over turtle sliding off on the shell. It took only 12 seconds for me to self arrest. But that 12 seconds felt like eternity yet it got out of hand so quickly. My husband was only 2 feet from me and all he could do was watch me slide off helplessly. First few seconds was spent on finding my bearings since I was spinning around, another few seconds to attempt to self arrest. When that didn’t slow me down, I started panicking. I was very lucky to be able to walk off the mountain without any injuries and continue to ski.
I can’t believe someone upthread said advanced skiers don’t fall, as if only beginners can fall. Accidents happen even to the most skilled skiers. Skiing is a humbling sport and being cocky about it will only get you in trouble. No one goes on the slope expecting to fall and you certainly don’t get to pick how you fall, regardless of your skill level.
I spoke to two of my instructors afterwards and showed them my video and they both said there really isn’t any good way to practice self arrest. You just have to fight for your life in situations that calls for it.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online