• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Should You Tip Your Ski Instructor? If So, How Much?"

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
So what are y'all recommendations for the warmest handshoes?

I'm thinking of buying some as dragonfodder.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

This convo all reminds me of this comic that I really like:

1685888007836.png

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Oddly enough, our little area is well known for its snow surfaces (grooming). The cat operators are amazing. We communicate with them daily including many thank yous. I don't think any of them have a moment of desire to teach skiing, nor do they resent the tips instructors or wait staff receive... hmmmm. Stockholm syndrome? ogsmile

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Let me think of it while I ponder the notion of bust warts. Sexy? You decide.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, if you had been tipping 20% all along

Why? food cost had gone up because of inflation. So tips should go up too. Otherwise, the waiter got money that is worth less. Keep the percentage, the amount go up with the price.

In the event you think food cost in a particular restaurant gone up more than it should, perhaps eat elsewhere?

My position is probably a bit unusual on this. If the food is below standard, I tell the server and expect a new dish made, or a discount to match the quality of the food.

On decent restaurants, servers would do that. I tip as usual if the new dish is up to standard. If it's a discount, I still tip according to the original (undiscounted) cost.

I've been in a few situation that, after I pointed out the food had problem (this could happen by mistake), I got a new dish AND a discount as an apology for the mistake. In this case, I add the discount amount on top of the usual tip. After all, I got the food I expected, I had planned to pay a certain amount. The restaurant gave me a discount to make me happy. I'm free to give that money to the server to make him/her happy.

But if the server did nothing, I lower the tip amount depending on how unsatisfied I was with the whole meal.

Waiters are the face/representative of the restaurant. They should know if they work for a shitty outfit, they'll get shitty tips.
I'd generally agree.

I also think some of this points to part of the reason that front-of-house restaurant staff want to keep getting tips: while part of the system sucks (you effectively have as many bosses as you have customers, and your pay will vary depending on their individual outlook on tipping and potentially their economic situation), someone who does a kick-ass job will generally walk out the door with more money than someone who "just works here." Yes, in theory better employees may get better compensated through a wage/review system over time, too, but it's a lot more immediate when you walk out the door a small pile of cash. The same is true of a busy night—working a busy shift (or an understaffed one) is a lot more rewarding when you're getting tipped versus making a straight hourly wage. I waited tables for a couple of years, and the owner of the restaurant made the point during an annual staff party that in a good year, he'd make 1-2% profit on gross sales; servers made 14-17% or so (after tipping out BOH staff). It was more in our interest than in his to sell that app, dessert, or expensive drink.

I'm unconvinced, though, that eliminating the tip credit (which allows tipped employees in most states to be paid less than minimum wage as base pay) would actually make a difference in tips received (an argument that the restaurant industry in Maine convinced servers of years back when the state passed legislation that would've required full minimum wage be paid to everyone, including tipped employees). It does adversely affect back-of-house employees, as the restaurant operator has less cash available to pay them and still maintain the same profit margin (or pricing structure). I think there are currently six states that don't do a tip credit, and I don't think FOH staff there are tipped any less as a result (not that minimum wage is a living wage, but $9.95 plus tips in Montana is better than $2.13 plus tips in Wyoming; I'll admit I don't know what the actual base wages paid in Wyoming are).

I'd also argue that when it comes to dining out, adding a couple of percent to provide a good tip rather than just an okay one makes a lot more of a difference to the server than it does to you. If I have a $40 dinner tab and leave $10 instead of $8, I'm out two bucks but, particularly if a few other people have done similarly, the server is looking at a handful of tips above 20%, which is both a good feeling and can add up. That seems to be a bit harder when tipping on a multi-hundred-dollar lesson.

Sponsor

Staff online