• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Vans seem to be all the rage these days, and we have been talking about them on the Toyota thread. I try to keep up with the latest in car fashion, so to go with the beat up '97 Tacoma we picked up one of these:
revelsnow.JPG

That's not ours..We just drove out to Colorado to pick it up at the end a of May, and we spent a week and half getting back via dirt roads.

snipid.JPG

It is a Winnebago Revel, a new model based on the 4X4 Mercedes Sprinter.

It is already paying off---I did a four day fishing tour with hail, thunderstorms, mosquitoes and horseflies. The van gave me a great place hang out when I needed a refuge, I knew one great creek-side spot where the evening fly fishing ought to be stellar. The track in was all mud, but the van slopped right on through. The evening fishing was horrible, but at 6:45 AM a mayfly blizzard erupted, and I caught 15-20" rainbows as fast as I could cast. By 8:00 they were full, and I kept one for my dinner as well. Would not have driven in or a spent the night without the new rig.
IMG_5840.JPG
IMG_5841.JPG
IMG_5847.JPG
IMG_5848.jpg

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
OK, that's pretty frickin' cool. Is that blister on the side a poppet, or just a little bit of a blister?

Last edited:
TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They put little permanent pop-outs on the sides so that there is room to sleep sideways. The bed is on a power lift and goes right up flush with the ceiling when not in use, and has room for someone 6'6" to stretch out when lowered.

bed.JPG
Capture.JPG

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Newfy,

Looks awesome! So, when the bed is flush against the roof, that back area looks like a great “garage” or big storage area to transport a lot of sports "stuff"....bikes, fishing gear, ski gear, climbing gear.......and other camping gear. Is that the basic layout? we have friends with an RV that has the "garage". Incredible functional.

OK.....I'm jealous. Congratulations!

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Newfy,

Looks awesome! So, when the bed is flush against the roof, that back area looks like a great “garage”

Yep, they call it the "gear garage" There are some tie down rings on the floor, and I added some rafting glue on d-rings on the sides, so everything can be secured to the sides. This leaves a perfect dog house down the mididle under the bed.

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is that a Pflueger Medalist? I knew I liked you.

Helps that I'm left handed----those reels are all over ebay, and you know, they just work. Same with the Fenwick classic glass---the fly fishing world is seeing a renaissance in glass rods.. You won't see me on old straight skis, but I'm loving collecting and casting all the classic glass rods I could not afford as a kid.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The target market for Newfydog's van are skiers, hikers, bikers, etc who often end up in non-level remote parking spots. So it would be nice to have that power bed with an ability to raise/lower each corner of the bed independently. Then park at on a slope and level the bed instead of the RV.

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, one of the big attractions in the set-up is the fact there is no propane. The solar power runs the fridge, and induction cooktop. It can recharge ebike batteries no problem. The hot water and heater run off the diesel fuel tank, so you can heat it at the base of a ski area weeks without needing fuel.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Solar is going to be limited in winter so is there a generator or auto engine start and big ass alternator?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They put little permanent pop-outs on the sides so that there is room to sleep sideways. The bed is on a power lift and goes right up flush with the ceiling when not in use, and has room for someone 6'6" to stretch out when lowered.

View attachment 48396 View attachment 48397

oh so sweet ...

but hey, what are the tires? you do comment on these so I'm curious if they're stock, optional or Winnebago just lets you pick off a Cart.

What's the clearance on this beast? Diesel?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Winnebago does a pretty nice job on most of the stuff they build. What is unique is the really do build it and don't just assemble parts.

Good choice.

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Solar is going to be limited in winter so is there a generator or auto engine start and big ass alternator?

The word from the full timers is that the solar (200 watts) does very well charging things up during most days, even cloudy days it chips in a faIr bit. In short winter days with snow on the panels they run the engine, with its 220 amp alternator every few days. We have not used half the battery power yet.

oh so sweet ...

but hey, what are the tires? you do comment on these so I'm curious if they're stock, optional or Winnebago just lets you pick off a Cart.

What's the clearance on this beast? Diesel?

"bago has a stock wheel/ tire set with 245 75 r16s, and an option for snazzy Method Wheels with a burly 265 75 R16 tire. The upgrade is $2400, but the Method wheels and BF Goodrich tires (about 80 psi) can be bought for 1600, and you would have a stock set to sell. Mine came with the upgrade, no option.

Clearance is 8" The offroad capabilities are more than you would think,(there is a low range). By the time all the tanks and camping gear have been added, you have some relatively fragile things you don't want to high-center.

Last edited:

Sponsor