• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Show us your old ski pics!

James

Out There
Instructor
He didn't finish the war with the 10th, but I have no idea why. Turns out he "liberated the Philippines," according to my husband who he did talk to, a little. His discharge papers verified that.
There’s an interesting episode of “Dinner with Five” by John Favreau. Early 2000’s I think. )It’s a series where actors, directors, writers sit around talking at a restaurant.) Burt Reynolds and Charles Durning are in this one. Reynolds tells the story of bringing Durning to meet his dad. Both were in WW2, invasion at Normandy iirc. At some point Reynolds’ dad tells Burt to get get lost, he wants to talk to Charles about the war. When Burt asks why he can’t stay, his dad says “Because you weren’t there!”

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
At some point Reynolds’ dad tells Burt to get get lost, he wants to talk to Charles about the war. When Burt asks why he can’t stay, his dad says “Because you weren’t there!”

I can only imagine what he felt with his two little girls asking about those funny skis.

My father never skied again, to my knowledge. We never skied as a family. I learned to ski at 62.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
My father had the "joys" of being a guest of the Japanese Emperor for 3½ years after the fall of Singapore. He told us about his capture, his liberation, and a story about how the starving POWs in his hut survived (one would "escape" at night on a weekly rota, kill something in the jungle, drain its blood into billycans, and "unescape" before dawn with the congealed blood that they would share, ugh, ugh, ugh). Other than that, pretty much silence except on one occasion: he talked to his cousin who had been in submarines in the Pacific one weekend. My brothers and I were all little boys at the time - it is a regret we all feel that we went off to play, and therefore have no recollection as to what was said. Both he, and his cousin, are long dead so we have no way of knowing ...

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
When Burt asks why he can’t stay, his dad says “Because you weren’t there!”

I understand this from another viewpoint: talking to Vietnam veterans in therapy years ago. It's important not to react with too much horror; they are afraid they will injure you as they were injured by the dreadful experiences.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
1635298305204.png

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I wish I had those goggles now!
I remember goggles like that in our family, along with lots of Army Surplus stuff. I still have a pair of the skis in the shed waiting to be mounted on the wall or somewhere.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great photos!

I found this old drawing by my now 26 year old daughter. She must have been 9 or so when she drew it.
5CFDF23B-AB26-442E-86DF-B05890C5E9A8.jpeg
It gave me a good laugh. Now I’m the one saying “wait!” when we ski together. It’s also evident she grew up skiing in Tahoe, with the bright sun (most of the time).

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great photos!

I found this old drawing by my now 26 year old daughter. She must have been 9 or so when she drew it. View attachment 146560 It gave me a good laugh. Now I’m the one saying “wait!” when we ski together. It’s also evident she grew up skiing in Tahoe, with the bright sun (most of the time).
My granddaughter is 9 years old and it is I who is yelling "wait!" or "Turn!"