• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Show us your old ski pics!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
1638998387238.png

1638998337111.png

1638998359647.png

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Can't really see me much with this horrible picture but 1989 Purgatory is as far back as I can go. 2nd pic is a day off we took to go snowmobiling (i'm in the middle of the 3 people pictured. And lastly is Town of Telluride as we were leaving after skiing that day (my only time to visit Telluride)

purgatory.JPG

snowmobiling.JPG

telluride.JPG

newsheridan.JPG

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler Bowl probably May 77 - accessed by tucking from top of the t-bar down Saddle area, then hiking above Shale Slope. The usual rest spot then on to valley floor
img010.jpg
. Always last run in spring
- believe it was the girl friends second day actually on skis (bad loaners from another friend) the relationship survived it.
img008.jpg
img009.jpg

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
this could be come addictive, dusted off an old scanner so a few more from 74 Whistler's original base, McConkeys is on the left. 4 passenger silver gondola ran to mid, Looking down at mid station gondi off load and the base of original Red from the Orange chair (which ran up Goats Gully) and skiing in July with the towers of the old Blue (ran up Chunkys) and Blackcomb's 7th heaven side in the background.

The ugly clear cut valley has recovered, all those chairs are long gone. and Blackcomb looks a lot different. .
s si
img032.jpg
img041.jpg
img038.jpg
img039.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
May of 1974 was the first time I skied Whistler. Stayed in the UBC Ski Club cabin which several years later was bought by a friend who ran it as a B&B for a while. Unfortunately I lost touch with the friend decades ago.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
still a good friend although suspect its easier to remain friends with an old lover when you have 7500 km of separation.

one of my favorite photos, then time to give it a rest.
came to watch their buddy Ingamar go for the Gold in GS at Innsbruck (I was pulling for Jungle Jim) when a kid climbed the tower below us for a better view.
seems I scanned it in reverse imagine but you get the idea.
img017.jpg
img016.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Jim Kenney, I can't get quote to work right, but......winner, winner, chicken dinner: St. Paul, MN ~1962.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I saw a couple of posting with the year "1974"...so, this is me and my mother in Livigno (Italy) , that same year :
1974 Livigno 2.jpg
It is not really viewable, but that jacket had a patch (near my left hand), I loved that jacket but ripped it somehow and my grandmother patched it with a Native American's head patch (cartoonized), maybe now-a-days it would be un-PC, but back then it made me love that jacket all the more.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 151214
20 years ago this month. 70 feet to a hard, wind packed landing. I back slapped but popped back up with all my gear making turns. I think my body would explode now at this age on an impact like that. Oh to be young!
Now, if I meet you at long last at Snowbowl, I will bow my head and body in obeisance. A/k/a jehesus!!!!! I can do 3 feet to a hard wind packed landing if I'm lucky ...

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Now, if I meet you at long last at Snowbowl, I will bow my head and body in obeisance. A/k/a jehesus!!!!! I can do 3 feet to a hard wind packed landing if I'm lucky ...
More balls than brains or even skills back then honestly. I skied yesterday Rob. It was actually really good. The 1 to 4, Sunday afternoon shift is decent.

edit: I’m pretty certain I became a half inch shorter from that landing. I’m actually being serious and not joking.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
View attachment 151214
20 years ago this month. 70 feet to a hard, wind packed landing. I back slapped but popped back up with all my gear making turns. I think my body would explode now at this age on an impact like that. Oh to be young!
Dude, get that enhanced and printed, pretty sick. Enhanced just to make you stand out some from the cliff background. Thou must not wear top that matches cliff.
I wouldn’t go near that cliff without a belay.

There was a guy on epic some years ago who talked about wanting to drop a 50 footer for his 50th birthday. Tyrone Shoelaces talked him out if it. It seemed.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
More balls than brains or even skills back then honestly. I skied yesterday Rob. It was actually really good. The 1 to 4, Sunday afternoon shift is decent.

edit: I’m pretty certain I became a half inch shorter from that landing. I’m actually being serious and not joking.
Yeah, well this is a still from a video of me "nailing" the landing at Purgatory when I unexpectedly took to the air last year. Ham, @kimberlin's husband, was taking the GoPro video. Check out the style, the panache, the cool suavity of it all .... (or NOT!). [Explanatory note for those who might otherwise criticize: we were on an empty groomer and going quickly without anyone in sight ahead, and yes, catching air was a complete surprise to me at that stage]
1639453300235.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, well this is a still from a video of me "nailing" the landing at Purgatory when I unexpectedly took to the air last year. Ham, @kimberlin's husband, was taking the GoPro video. Check out the style, the panache, the cool suavity of it all .... (or NOT!). [Explanatory note for those who might otherwise criticize: we were on an empty groomer and going quickly without anyone in sight ahead]
View attachment 151232
Need to see the “I’ve fallen and can’t get up” aftermath.

Sponsor