• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Would it make too much sense to build the same ski in a continuum of sizes from very short for children up to something that would handle the biggest and burliest adult skier? There wouldn't be men's, women's and children's designations. Everyone could be fitted to the ski that best suits their height and weight and skiing style. It wouldn't be hard to imagine a family where everyone is on the same ski, but Mom is on the longest ones, the teens in the middle and Dad is on the shortest ones.

There is considerable overlap in sizes between adults and kids and between men and women. The special designations of men's, women's and kid's skis seems more of a marketing gimmick than a practical solution.
Actually there are a couple manufacturers who have same construction but scaled different sizes for their unisex/women's line up.
In some cases it works okay but in other cases it difficult. This year the Rossignol line has HD construction on the mens side but not the women's. Next year it will be on both sides of the wall. (this is just one example)
Rossignol's freeride skis are basically the same except for graphics and a "W" added to the name. That's all just fine, but I do have an issue when a manufacturer thinks the consumer isn’t paying attention. The Rossignol Sky 7 for men is a 164; for women, it is a 162. Yet not only is it the same ski, it is exactly the same length; does Rossignol assume that a man cannot ski a 162 or a woman cannot ski a 164? Is it marketing? Either way, there is no reason the same ski shouldn't be described the same. The Experience (men) and Temptation (women) lines are mostly the same except for graphics and a slight difference in construction: the women's collection does not incorporate the HD construction.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I came across this today: http://www.girlsdoshred.com/blog/gear-for-hard-charging-women-skis

may be relevant to the conversation depending on the skier type.
From that link...
Your typical buyers guide has about two hearty pages of gear. But the fact of reality is we usually have no idea who tested them, if they skied them more than a couple runs, what type of skier they are, and (get this), if they were actually tested by a girl. But we realize the need for quality women’s gear these days, which is why we summoned the crowds to bring you some of the best gear in the industry.

Reading through the reviews they've posted and the bios of the testers, I'm guessing we'll never see a review on that site that's under 100, and most likely ^105. It looks like its a blog aimed at a very specific core group of women. I'll be interested to see if they do more reviews.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Reading through the reviews they've posted and the bios of the testers, I'm guessing we'll never see a review on that site that's under 100, and most likely ^105. It looks like its a blog aimed at a very specific core group of women. I'll be interested to see if they do more reviews.

A review site after my own heart :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
John Oates, of Hall & Oates, has been known to ski women's skis because they do have the performance characteristics he needs. Fairly, I am probably a giant compared to him. :roflmao:
http://www.skinet.com/skiing/2008/11/haulin-oates-a-rock-star-starts-shredding

This paragraph...
In no time, we’re traversing up and out Headwall, the double-black gateway to Snowmass’s steepest runs. Trees clog most exits. Commencing a steep pitch, Oates shouts back, “I’m only five-foot-five, so beware of low branches when following!” (Hence his fondness for K2 Phat Luvs.) Then he genuflects deep into the snowpack and disappears.

And he says that he likes skis shorter than 167? He's my size. I tend to like skis in the mid to high 160's. My Santa Ana's are 169.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This paragraph...
In no time, we’re traversing up and out Headwall, the double-black gateway to Snowmass’s steepest runs. Trees clog most exits. Commencing a steep pitch, Oates shouts back, “I’m only five-foot-five, so beware of low branches when following!” (Hence his fondness for K2 Phat Luvs.) Then he genuflects deep into the snowpack and disappears.

And he says that he likes skis shorter than 167? He's my size. I tend to like skis in the mid to high 160's. My Santa Ana's are 169.

He teles, so take that into consideration.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I can, however, attest that when tall people follow short people into the trees, those tall people best be paying attention!

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had a bit of a conundrum with women's skis.....at 5'10" and 165 lb, I can ski unisex skis. But...there are times when I've felt that some of those skis are too much work for the whole day. I owned the iRally, which was a fantastically fun ski, but a bit too stiff for me in the bumps (probably due more to my lack of technique than my size) and I decided to sell it when someone expressed interest in buying it. I seem to have good luck with women's Volkls like the Kenja and I'm hoping my new Stoeckli SR's (women's) fall into that sweet spot, too.

Once, when demoing at Snowbird, I attempted to get on the (then) new Aura. It was taken out by a guy with back problems who preferred the women's over the Mantra and could care less about the hot pink topsheet. The Volkl guy put me on the Mantra, said I'd be just fine, and I set off from the tram. The Mantra was way too stiff for me...I felt like I was on 2 x 4's, and I was terrified. However, when I finally got on the Aura, the flex was perfect.

When I'm noodling along, playing around, women's skis are fun, but when I want to charge, sometimes I find the top end. I enjoy skis that let me do both fairly well. I live in PA where demo opportunities are rare so I have made my share of purchase mistakes. I *think* I've figured things out a bit more.

Unisex skis in my length resell much more easily around here whereas a women's ski in a 170 won't. (It's like women of my size who are skiers are a freak of nature around here, go figure). So, if I purchase a women's ski, I need to make sure it is the right one for me.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm only an inch shorter than FTM ... actually, maybe taller, depending on which leg he's using ...

Yes, you qualify as a tall person :)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I've had a bit of a conundrum with women's skis.....at 5'10" and 165 lb, I can ski unisex skis. But...there are times when I've felt that some of those skis are too much work for the whole day. I owned the iRally, which was a fantastically fun ski, but a bit too stiff for me in the bumps (probably due more to my lack of technique than my size) and I decided to sell it when someone expressed interest in buying it. I seem to have good luck with women's Volkls like the Kenja and I'm hoping my new Stoeckli SR's (women's) fall into that sweet spot, too.

Once, when demoing at Snowbird, I attempted to get on the (then) new Aura. It was taken out by a guy with back problems who preferred the women's over the Mantra and could care less about the hot pink topsheet. The Volkl guy put me on the Mantra, said I'd be just fine, and I set off from the tram. The Mantra was way too stiff for me...I felt like I was on 2 x 4's, and I was terrified. However, when I finally got on the Aura, the flex was perfect.

When I'm noodling along, playing around, women's skis are fun, but when I want to charge, sometimes I find the top end. I enjoy skis that let me do both fairly well. I live in PA where demo opportunities are rare so I have made my share of purchase mistakes. I *think* I've figured things out a bit more.

Unisex skis in my length resell much more easily around here whereas a women's ski in a 170 won't. (It's like women of my size who are skiers are a freak of nature around here, go figure). So, if I purchase a women's ski, I need to make sure it is the right one for me.

To me, this gets back to the idea that the women's vs men's labels aren't always super helpful. I've never played with a Mantra, but I'm pretty sure it's known as a burly ski. On the flip side, there's the Sick Day 110, is a men's/unisex ski that was just floppier than I wanted.

I would guess that you'd do well looking at either stiffer women's skis, or medium-stiffness men's skis. And it's always amazing to me at demo tents or even stores that a guy takes one look at you and thinks he (or she!) knows what you can or can't handle.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm only an inch shorter than FTM ... actually, maybe taller, depending on which leg he's using ...
You're also the smart one & don't follow me into the trees.... :cool:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To me, this gets back to the idea that the women's vs men's labels aren't always super helpful. I've never played with a Mantra, but I'm pretty sure it's known as a burly ski. On the flip side, there's the Sick Day 110, is a men's/unisex ski that was just floppier than I wanted.

I would guess that you'd do well looking at either stiffer women's skis, or medium-stiffness men's skis. And it's always amazing to me at demo tents or even stores that a guy takes one look at you and thinks he (or she!) knows what you can or can't handle.

Well, I am not one of those women who have had shop guys recommend short women's skis, ever, as some women complain about. A lot of them want to put me on a unisex ski. I guess I was flattered that Volkl guy put me on the Mantra, insisting it was no stiffer than the Aura, but I knew I was in for trouble. (He refused to put me on the Volkl Yumi).

I guess I looked like a much better skier than I was, ha. I expressed my misgivings about the Mantra but he was insistent.

You're right...I just have to find the *right* unisex ski when I go that route, and stick with the stiffer women's skis.

Sponsor

Staff online