• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sidecut on Nordic skis?

TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
That just proves you've never seen any skis that bridge those two ends of the spectrum. If I show you a super short Fischer that has steel edges and twice the camber of your skin skis, which marketing category will it sit in?
Experimental.

Akin to breaking out FIS SLs and saying they are not 'alpine' skis since no one freerides on them.
Why is "alpine" ski now freeride skis?

No amount of "bridging" makes a fat ski a snowboard. Go ahead and put a snowboard binding on it!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A bit of side cut goes a long way to keeping the tip and tail engaged in a skidded turn, or even on a side hill.

Yes! My wife's classic crown Rossi's have a bit of actual sidecut, and they make lovely slarved turns out of the tracks.

I've jumped on them briefly, and it is a great feature. Not one that I'd use a lot, but it seems to have no downside if you aren't racing for FIS WC podiums.

You couldn't tear them out of her hands using any conventional method.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Silly?

There's nothing in common between single and double camber skis, apart from they being "skis".

I get that in theory you can mountain tele binding on either. But in practice, tele skis are (almost) never "Nordic" skis.

I'm not sure what XCD stands for.
Hmmm... Fischer has been making their crown* series of skis for decades now and calling them Nordic skis. Maybe you should give em a call and have a word with them.

*Their Crown series are XCD ( Cross County Downhill ) skis have metal edges and side cut.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any reason why they shouldn't be called nordic skis? How often do they get tele bindings put on them?
Why do you think tele isn't nordic?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Someone tell Steve Barnett.
1675043064174.png

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
It's all nordic. At least three of us have been contending that from the beginning.
Perfect! We have the proper context:

The current categorical breaks between 'XC' and tele are already silly enough :)
Now that we all seem to be calling tele skis as "nordic" skis. How many of these "tele" skis are double cambered?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Can you do tele turns on skis without sidecut?

Are you asking for my own personal skill level? I can keep up with the better-and-younger people in that video about 40% of the time, so long as I remember that the straighter the ski, the deeper I need to go.

Now that we all seem to be calling tele skis as "nordic" skis. How many of these "tele" skis are double cambered?

Atomic and Fischer both used to be pretty good at putting high levels of camber - camber and a half - into their XCD offerings. If you want I can try to remember to take pics of the camber of my RT:10s and TM:9s and Fischer Revolutions.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January