• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sidewall Planing: Dedicated Cutter vs Steep Side-Edge Angle

Best method for sidewall removal:

• Total voters

Cork7 Belly Flop

Booting up
Skier
Curious to see what people use. Also I had a couple questions regarding sidewall
removal:

- Is it possible to remove less sidewall material with a dedicated cutter than a
steep file guide?

- For the file guide option, why is the angle almost always 7°? Could I use a
mellower angle if I know for a fact I'll never go past 3° for my side-edges or
is it some kind of magic number?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Both. There are so many variables depending on ski construction.

I would say it's more probable to remove more with the sidewall cutter. Of course that all depends on a lot of variables.

You could use 5-7 degrees. I just use an 87° edge file guide with a 3° shim and a panzer - so 5°

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I had a sidewall planer that was a joy to use when it was adjusted perfectly, but it was a PITA to adjust, so I switched to a hand held panzer. Then I found an adjustable file guide and modified it for 7 degrees. That’s the perfect solution. It’s faster and more comfortable than freehand and easier than fooling around with shims.

dm

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As usual, flawed poll.

I used both.
Side wall cutter early season so the sidewall will be cleared for several tunes.
A couple light passes with a panzer before the RazorTune to will keep the grinding wheel clean.
I use the same edge guide set up as @Scruffy but somehow my set up comes out to 6°. We must be using different edge guide angle measuring tool or different version of new math.

The panzer is real nice for cutting towards the tips and tails. Rolling the guide over slightly will allow easing of the top sheet edge to get rid of the sharp bits there.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use the same edge guide set up as @Scruffy but somehow my set up comes out to 6°. We must be using different edge guide angle measuring tool or different version of new math.
:doh: haha Yeah, That's me before coffee :rolleyes:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I prefer the dedicated cutter, I think it does a cleaner job. In my opinion it is akin to using quality cutlery verses a hatchet.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are different types of sidewall material; they are mainly made from either thermoset or thermoplastic materials. Thermoset sidewall material is made from layers of kraft paper that are soaked in either melamine or phenolic resin and then hot pressed into sheets; it is a type of high-pressure laminate (HPL). Thermoplastic sidewall material is mainly made from extruded ABS or UHMWPE; this type of material is softer than the thermoset materials.

Most of the sidewall cutters with tungsten carbide blades are primarily intended for cutting back thermoset sidewalls and/or the titanal layer; if you use them on thermoplastic sidewalls you might get chatter marks; a panzer file is less likely to chatter. Sidewalls often have a 70° or 80° angle, hence the 70° or 80° angle guides.

Some sidewall cutters work better on the middle of the ski than on the tip and tail, so it's often advantageous to have several cutters.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Some sidewall cutters work better on the middle of the ski than on the tip and tail, so it's often advantageous to have several cutters.
I guess I need another quiver.

dm

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
You guys and your sidewall cutter quivers!!!!
(Ooops). I still “need” the FK-SKS version Scottskier likes. Seems to be out of stock everywhere.
B7502C56-E220-4203-8F3C-349032BC44A9.jpeg

Btw I have seen the old school race coaches knock the sidewall down with the sharp end of a file….using it like a chisel….impressive.
0248B014-6FF4-420B-A9A6-485E85DF736B.jpeg

Chenzo

Putting on skis
Skier
Not intending to derail the topic, but check out heads new factory sidewall finishing for ‘23/‘24. Both skis are 151cm SL, one is ‘22/‘23. I’ve also seen some rossis this year with a new sidewall finish as well, although I recall just the fis tech skis received that treatment. Wish they did this decades ago, my shoulder/elbow would be in better health.

Attachments

• 64B87102-A474-4426-9ADD-690D608D3CE3.jpeg
    64B87102-A474-4426-9ADD-690D608D3CE3.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 89
  • C36F0DBD-F644-4F3F-81F7-8D0DA09AD840.jpeg
    C36F0DBD-F644-4F3F-81F7-8D0DA09AD840.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 90

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
You guys and your sidewall cutter quivers!!!!
(Ooops). I still “need” the FK-SKS version Scottskier likes. Seems to be out of stock everywhere.
View attachment 188393
Btw I have seen the old school race coaches knock the sidewall down with the sharp end of a file….using it like a chisel….impressive. View attachment 188394
The old little BEAST is what I used for a long time. Then they came out with a stainless plate to apply to it. It had adhesive backing. That was better. They got smarter, and now produce a 7 degree plate for the Side Of The BEAST Pro. It's way better again!
I like the pansar, because it works with any construction, and part cap part sandwich construction all at the same time.
Like any tool, it's still in the hands of the wielder.
I have improved my BEAST a long time ago. See this short video. You can see the build up on the aluminum before I had the stainless plate. I just left it there then, even though it was ugly, it still worked.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use the Beast with a 7 degree shim.

Perfect.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I use the Beast with a 7 degree shim.

Perfect.
Yes, it's all about having a sharp pansar section. The ones I use seem to dull pretty quickly. No worries, the sections are cheap!
Be sharp, keep a sharp tool!

Sponsor