• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

silly question: Hawaii?

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Headed to Hawaii in a few days, has anyone "skied" there? Obviously for the novelty value, and my understanding is it's culturally...questionable at best, stiiiill, if the opportunity presents itself, it might be tough to say no.....

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I dunno. People take a truck up Mauna Loa so the can coast down on their bikes. It's skiing any worse?? Go for it.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Headed to Hawaii in a few days, has anyone "skied" there? Obviously for the novelty value, and my understanding is it's culturally...questionable at best, stiiiill, if the opportunity presents itself, it might be tough to say no.....
People do ski there however I don't know who. The snow is unreliable. I saw a trip reports on tv about actual skiing and it was interesting.

Would you fly with equipment. It might be hard to find rentals.

13,000 feet??

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
People do ski there however I don't know who. The snow is unreliable. I saw a trip reports on tv about actual skiing and it was interesting.

Would you fly with equipment. It might be hard to find rentals.

13,000 feet??

I've traveled with snowblades that have touring/walk mode boot bindings.

Having been to other volcanoes I strongly suspect it will be crusty reefy windslab - the ideal ski being a damp carver and NOT a snowblade, but we take what we can.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just me, but I'd rather spend a day doing this in Hawaii than making a few crummy runs. :ogbiggrin:

PXL_20221015_191037916 (1).jpg

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I took a van tour up Mauna Kea years ago and they had saucer sleds for a couple of sled runs down a prob 200 foot pitch adjacent to the road near the observatories. Good fun, but certainly wouldn't take my gear there. Did buy a "Ski Hawaii" fridge magnet at Uncles though.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My friend did a 20-mile downhill mtb ride there which sounds more fun to me.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I wouldn't say I'd be interested in more than a run (or two) based on the reports I've heard, but I figure it'll likely be my last trip there and my only opportunity so..... And I gotta believe it would put me in a pretty rare subcategory, heh.
Midwestskier.com is there skiing Hawaii now. :) Looks pretty decent too.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe you can combine it with some sort of tour or astronomical observing experience.

Sponsor

Staff online