• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Silverton Plans Addition of 2nd Lift

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Quite like the by now mature successful minimalist Silverton experiment. Could be duplicated in some other regions opening up amazing fresh snow terrain including the southeastern Sierra Nevada if the industry can beat back usual legal personal injury lawyers with effective state legislations.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Lots of strife and controversy in Silverton. Some want more visitors and commerce. Some want it to go back to being a backwater. Huge controversy’s over ORV use in town and the surrounding area. In general, in summer, the area is a shitshow.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Worth noting from the link above:

"The county asked for public input into the chairlift plan and residents joined the Silverton Area Chamber of Commerce in unanimous support."

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Think they had 3 lifts in total approved in their master plan years ago. I've skied there several times...its one of the few bright spots in CO skiing in my opinion. Nearly everything else is overloaded with people. I wish they did this type of thing in other parts of the state. I love the fact that you can ski great expert/extreme terrain that isn't bumped up like a resort.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love the fact that you can ski great expert/extreme terrain that isn't bumped up like a resort.

Agreed. I'm past the extreme part of life, but the idea of ungroomed, expert terrain without bumps is like a siren song!

I wish these guys nothing but the best.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Quite like the by now mature successful minimalist Silverton experiment. Could be duplicated in some other regions opening up amazing fresh snow terrain including the southeastern Sierra Nevada if the industry can beat back usual legal personal injury lawyers with effective state legislations.
The Sierra Club ain’t gonna let new ski areas be developed in California

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Sierra Club ain’t gonna let new ski areas be developed in California

SC: Yup, if you've got a plan, we're against it.

We'll get back to you later on the why!

Sad.