• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Single lens ski goggles.

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
I am using a pair of single lens Carrera Kimerik goggles from the Hermann Maier days. I am looking for a current pair of single lens goggles from any manufacturer to replace them. I heard Shred makes them but they are not on their website. I was considering using mountain bike goggles but don't know if there will be any unforseen consequences to that. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I believe Poc does.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I am using a pair of single lens Carrera Kimerik goggles from the Hermann Maier days. I am looking for a current pair of single lens goggles from any manufacturer to replace them. I heard Shred makes them but they are not on their website. I was considering using mountain bike goggles but don't know if there will be any unforseen consequences to that. Any suggestions are appreciated.
While most shred goggles *come* with a double lens, they do have single lenses available.

I use mostly shred monocle frames (https://shredoptics.com/products/monocle?variant=31874741502025) - 5 at the moment (why change lenses when you can just change frames?)

If you look at the replacement lenses, you'll find there are several monocle single lenses available: https://shredoptics.com/collections/spare_lenses

clear: https://shredoptics.com/collections/spare_lenses/products/monocle-single-lens-clear
yellow: https://shredoptics.com/collections/spare_lenses/products/monocle-single-lens-yellow
rose: https://shredoptics.com/collections/spare_lenses/products/monocle-single-lens-rose
silver mirror: https://shredoptics.com/collections/spare_lenses/products/monocle-single-lens-silver-mirror

there are also single lenses available for nastify/soaza frames and wonderfly frames (and maybe more, I just did a brief scroll through the lenses page).

James

Out There
Instructor
Poc definitely used to. So did Zeal. They might have gotten away from them. Look at Sierra Trading Post, ebay. They’re definitely out there.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Many/most brands offer single lenses that fit their "race" oriented frames, but I don't know if any goggles that you can buy (i.e., not being handed to you by a race rep) come with a single lens.

James

Out There
Instructor
Has “cylindrical” lens, which is usually 1 layer, but don’t know if it is.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, POC do single lenses on the Iris Comp. Also the spare lenses that come with the retina big are single but they are clear.

I think I actually may have a good pair of Carrera Kimerik and some lenses in the closet! I'm on the road this week but can check when i get back

TS
Speeder

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
Is there any difference between men bike goggles and skiing goggles? I'd bet the man bike ones are singles.

Nord

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I bought a POC iris Comp last fall and it came with 3 clear lens. Lens are Brown, smokey yellow and clear. I bought it just for using with the the Dark/Brown lens on sunny days at high elevation so single lens shouldn't be an issue.
Just waiting for a sunny high elevation day.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The classic Scott goggle is still around, I think. Like this one:

IMG_20210215_224531506.jpg
It allows great peripheral vision and works with any helmet I've used.

Why? Single lenses conform to your face shape. Double lens are rigid; no bend to fit your face.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Speeder i have a couple of new Kimerik single lenses and a new double lens here if you want them. Just cover shipping. Thought i had a frame but it must have gone somewhere else :huh:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 124677

Why? Single lenses conform to your face shape. Double lens are rigid; no bend to fit your face.

I'm with you Doug, I hadn't thought of the con forming part but that makes sense. I prefer single lenses because I find with most double lens i cn se a bit of distortion that you I dont get with a single. I also find as my eyes get older I am using lighter color lenses

Nord

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

View attachment 124677

I think the Classic Scott goggle isn't being sold as a ski goggle. The frame can still be bought as a snowmobile or motocross goggle.

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier
Atomic FDL (fused double lens) lenses have the benefits of both single and double lenses. There no air gap between the PC and PE lenses, so the refraction distortion is minimized. The hardness of the Polycarbonate outer lens and the ability to apply antifog coating to the Polyethylene lens. The airgap between lenses is not what gives a lens antifog, it's the coatings and the venting.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Level 9 Sports usually has a good assortment of single lens goggles available.

Sponsor

Staff online