• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sizes within Brands: Can I order online based on my Current size?

bsotmountain

Best Skier on the Mountain
Skier
With deference to Mr Harvey…here is the rest of the story..

I purchased a pair of Cochise 130s in 30.5 (the largest they make) but waited to have them properly fitted. The shop I went to for my fitting the last time refused a fiiting because I did not buy the boots from them. I asked to be put on a wait list in case they changed their mind. They didn’t until I called back in the fall and they found a spot before Thanksgiving.

I went and immediately felt like they weren’t interested in anything but selling me a different boot. I paid them for their time and went on my way.

I contacted another shop, in Michigan, 4 hours away. I was leery so using the online appt tool stated i needed new boots and quite frankly was willing to do so if that would be the right call.

I took a day off work, drove through a lake effect storm to Sun and Snow in Ann Arbor. My fitter was a young woman who was very attentive and professional. She used a brannock device, measured my feet. Asked me to remove my socks. Examined my feet. Measured my heel width, forefoot and ankle. She manipulated my foot to see how it responded to different pressure angles.

She said I had a problem in that my right foot was a size bigger than my left. I knew this though it used to be a half size. She went into the back and brought out a few different models; a speed machine 130, a salomon and a dalbello. I put my ski socks on and did the empty shell etc.

She finally said based on what you told me I have a thought but want to check with the head guy so she got on the phone and made a call. She came back and said my recommendation is a Tecnica Cochise in a 130 at 30.5 and our head fitter concurred, but we don’t have it in stock at either location and might not be able to get one.

I said thank you what do I owe you and she said nothing you already paid for the consult. I asked if she could hold a minute and went out to my truck and got my boots and said can you fit these? She smiled and said you were testing me. I said I was and you passed. After another hour of work, I have the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. She punched some room to accommodate an extended middle toe and bony midfoot. She ground the shell and liner to address the pressure points on the side of both feet. Total time and effort gladly paid for. A one year period to come back for tweaks if needed.

The moral of the story is a good fitter is worth every penny of what they charge, and Casey has a customer for life. I will make that drive without thinking going forward.
Allow me to ask, you say your feet are a size apart, mine are as well, did you go with boots that matched your bigger foot or smaller foot? Easier to expand the toe box, or to reduce room in a boot too big?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Allow me to ask, you say your feet are a size apart, mine are as well, did you go with boots that matched your bigger foot or smaller foot? Easier to expand the toe box, or to reduce room in a boot too big?
Depends on the goal. a recreational fit, match to the big foot. Performance fit, to the small foot. In an ideal situation, I try to find a large version of the smaller boot.

TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The largest size they come in is the size of my smaller foot. The adjustments to the shell and liner accommodated my larger foot.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January