• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Ballet - The last session of the season

SkiBalletLives

Booting up
Skier
My apologies for the ski ballet experts. I recovered from a month long ski injury. I thought that I may hang my skis up forever.
I kept the moves to a familiar path, form and only a third of the moves that I knew. I renewed for next season so hopefully I can
can show my many other moves. It is a shame that the olympic committee decided to end ski ballet. It takes an incredible amount of
athleticism to perform the rare art. I will continue to try my best to keep it going and sharing the beautiful art of ski ballet.
I have nothing but respect for the professionals that participated in the art.

TS
SkiBalletLives

SkiBalletLives

Booting up
Skier
Another side note. The skis are 170 Olin ballets. They are long for ballet, however, after 43 years., it is remarkable that they are still on the slopes rocking. Olin really invented an incredible ski. If anyone has Olin 150, 160's ballet skis, let me know if your interesting in selling.

Last edited:

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Much kudos to you for keeping ski ballet alive and for having an activity you enjoy.
I do, however, agree with the olympic committee in ending it as an olympic event.

TS
SkiBalletLives

SkiBalletLives

Booting up
Skier
Much kudos to you for keeping ski ballet alive and for having an activity you enjoy.
I do, however, agree with the olympic committee in ending it as an olympic event.
Thanks AtleB!, I appreciate the input. Maybe, I am biased from watching the events when I was a kid.
I was always amazed at the skill level of the Ballet skiers that was demonstrated in the Olympics.

James

Out There
Instructor
Nice!
I think when it got into costumes and streamers they jumped the shark and that was the poison pill. Too bad.

Used to be there was a combo of moguls, aerials, ballet. Which is why people like Plake and Mosely can do ballet. Had that stayed, it would’ve been very interesting.

TS
SkiBalletLives

SkiBalletLives

Booting up
Skier
I absolutely agree James with the costumes and streamers. In my opinion, I think that it took away from the technical aspect of the skiing and damaged the sport.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I love to watch ballet skiers doing their thing. Actually, I even like the costumes. There's a guy who did Elvis back then. It's technically challenging, and fun. What's wrong with a little fun?

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
A year or two ago there was a guy I saw from the chair a few times at Wachusett looking like he was practicing ski ballet. I referred to him as the ballet cowboy as he always wore a cowboy hat and what looked to be a fringed leather jacket.

TS
SkiBalletLives

SkiBalletLives

Booting up
Skier
That is a good point LiquidFeet. Life is short. Might as well have fun.
Maybe, I need to think out of the box with the costume skiki. My costume is a old guy that is trying to live in the past. Thanks for all the inspiration everyone!. I almost gave it up this year. Ski Ballet is so intense that it conflicted with my other sports.
I did not ski for thirty five years and came back a few years ago. It was like riding a bike. My skiing came back.
I had shoulder dislocations and some back injuries due to getting back in this sport. I am at a point where I can fall gracefully.
That is one of the reasons that I have so much respect for people that try to ski ballet and the professionals. It is an intense sport.

James

Out There
Instructor
I love to watch ballet skiers doing their thing. Actually, I even like the costumes. There's a guy who did Elvis back then. It's technically challenging, and fun. What's wrong with a little fun?
Nothing, but it moved so far to the ice skating and “rhythmic” gymnastics model that it got unbearable. Ceased to be mostly about the moves and athletics. The moves and routine should be the fun.

TS
SkiBalletLives

SkiBalletLives

Booting up
Skier
Wow James, you understand. The moves and routine is how I get down the mountain. It is coming to the point where I am approaching the point of not being able to ski ballet. Skiing at that point will be boring for me. I will retire from skiing when I can no longer ski ballet. However, I do disagree with the gymnastics. Never underestimate the gymnastics. I am working up to the flips over the poles. I purchased old ski ballet poles and want to do the flips over the poles. I am just not sure that I will be able to accomplish it at my age. I am hoping to inspire the younger generation. It is great with all the different opinions about ski ballet. All your input keeps it alive.

Last edited:
TS
SkiBalletLives

SkiBalletLives

Booting up
Skier
James, I know that you are good enough. Cross over and swing into a 360 then check your skis and do a 360 tip roll. You will be addicted for life. Warning, you can get seriously hurt. Your skiing will never be the same ;:)

Sponsor

Staff online