• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski boot covers

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW, None of these iems are a silver bullet, they will not make your feet warm...just less cold.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I use Boot Gloves when I know it's going to be really cold or if I'm going to try and ski all day. They do make difference, especially in conjunction with boot heaters. As I've noted in other threads Head Raptors are not exactly warm boots so having the heaters and gloves makes them tolerable on all but the most frigid days.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
One cold trip to Whistler the Boot Gloves were sold out at all the shops, but SureFoot had the same neoprene covers with their own label on them. Worked great. I never had cold feet until I got Nordica Dobermans. Boot Gloves worked for me. The Dobies are gone, and the Boot Gloves come out only on the coldest days. As stated above, they're not as good as electric heaters, and they're much better than nothing.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd agree on Boot Gloves working for certain folks.

My spouse and oldest kid use these and swear the help them quite a bit.

They both noted it seemed to keep snow from building up directly on the boot that if melting, or in contact packed, steals heat away. The liner provides some distance, reduction, and insulation from packed snow.

I never used them, same as others noted ... one more thing to mess with. My spouse always uses hers and I've bought her a back up pair

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
My feet get cold easily, and they do make a difference. Between trapping heat, and keeping snow out of leaky boots.

With boot covers and heated socks, my toes are fine on really cold days, but my heels start to go...

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Can anyone who has tried insulating ski boot covers share their experiences?
I have been considering these for my kids to wear on the colder days, but do they actually help?

I have frostbit toes. Boot Gloves work great! I still sometimes put stick on toe heaters on the top of my toes and the boot gloves for sub zero days. they definitely work for me!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
We just skied in -25 temps at Big Sky and our approach was as follows:
  1. Warm boots before putting them on - this could be a boot heater, heated boot bag, heated floor ... does not matter just get them warm
  2. Dry Guy Boot Gloves go on the warm boot - this makes a huge difference
  3. Every time we went inside to warm up, Boot Gloves came off and we cleaned off the snow and ice that had built up underneath them
  4. Even with all this two of us ended up buying Hotronics from Lone Mountain Sports in Big Sky - they sell them pre-charged
There is no magic bullet but everything helps.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
I tried boot gloves for the first time last week in Utah and thought they helped a lot. I didn't use them the first day of my trip and my feet were cold... I used the for the remainder of the trip and my feet were comfortable.

Last edited:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Boot gloves makes the biggest difference for me when it is cold (0-15 F) AND I expect to be skiing in a lot of cold snow. The gloves keep snow off the boots and provide some insulation.

I'd say they make my feet feel like it is about 20 deg F warmer. So 6 deg F feels more like 26 deg F on my feet.

I don't think I have ever skied when temp is below 0F, so I've never needed a solution for that. I typically ski CO, UT, NV. Sometimes Canada, but only in spring.

The other thing that helps is layering more on at the core and putting chemical packs in the gloves. The warmer you keep the rest of the body, the more you keep blood and circulation going to warm the feet.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Just ordered some Dry Guy Boot Gloves - tried some rando brand 19-20 season after removing the Hotronics - never could get a good cable route, they had to go. The rando brand made it worse, basically attracted and trapped snow against the boot under the glove. Hoping these work better!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
My wires come out of the liner at the back of the heel. Then they are gorilla taped to the back of the liner and go slightly off center to the outside edge. That way the batteries mount on the outside of the boot on the power strap.

So no wires inside the liner. The mounting is similar to KG's video, but not as extreme. I only have measly Atomic Hawk liners.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
My wires come out of the liner at the back of the heel. Then they are gorilla taped to the back of the liner and go slightly off center to the outside edge. That way the batteries mount on the outside of the boot on the power strap.

So no wires inside the liner. The mounting is similar to KG's video, but not as extreme. I only have measly Atomic Hawk liners.
My boot guy ran them through the toe and up the side of the liner - I questioned it but, he insisted best way. Turns out, heel and up the back was probably better. That's the only quibble I had.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dang it. I know y'all know best and have tried both. I'll order some of these too and return the lesser. Should have asked first but this thread seemed conclusive on Dry Guy.
You can go through our SkiTalk.com store.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you go back to the store, the junior has been added!

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
One trick is the place one or two foot warmers between the neoprene boot glove and boot shell, near the toes. The extra heat takes the edge off your toes and does not negatively affect a PU boot. Useful when centigrade approaches fahrenheit.

Sponsor