• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski camps: best bang for the improver's buck?

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
It looks like a very cool camp. Also consider Core Ski Camps, Extremely Canadian, and Momentum Camps which all look very good. Best value for your money is Taos though. Going back this year again to do their ski week with the wife. They have a ski-off which will put you in a group with similar skiers and the snow quality is devine when they get it. If it hasn't snowed in the last few days, expect a lot of bump skiing.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
It looks like a very cool camp. Also consider Core Ski Camps, Extremely Canadian, and Momentum Camps which all look very good. Best value for your money is Taos though. Going back this year again to do their ski week with the wife. They have a ski-off which will put you in a group with similar skiers and the snow quality is devine when they get it. If it hasn't snowed in the last few days, expect a lot of bump skiing.

Value does have to take into account total cost of the trip (air fare, accommodations, etc) tho :)

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
my ski club is big on the Mammoth Ski-Ride-Race Camp in early December.

The old-heads in the club love the ski camp, since each year, they learn something new to improve upon during the season.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are no camps exactly like this at Sunshine/LL AFAIK, except maybe a warren jobbit thing, but I'm not good enough for those, I think. Maybe it's suck it up at $300/2h block of privates at sunshine with a L3/4? At least I know there is zero rain, it's close...
If it's not all about skiing with a particular coach you've heard great things about, why not stick the money into a few full-day private sessions spread over the season on terrain you get to choose? Or get someone to film a few runs and pay considerably less for online coaching with a coach of your choice?

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's hard NOT to improve with that much instruction!

And it isn't a huge amount of money for that much instruction. As long as the instruction is the kind that's suitable for your skill level, that is. So, find out what's the skill level expected of incoming students and what the target level the instructors are aiming. Assuming there're several groups of different level, and you're not at one end of the other of that spread, you will have the chance to move up or down as needed. I would go for it if I were in your position.

Rain. What's wrong with rain??? 1st, rainy days tend to have silky smooth snow surface. Enjoyable ski days. 2nd, skiing refrozen rain the day after is an opportunity to learn how to deal with rock hard snow. As the saying goes, there're good snow, then there're snow that are good for you. When you're taking instruction, the more varied, or even extreme conditions, will show you what you're lacking or need to work on. All good training.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
It's hard NOT to improve with that much instruction!
That sounds like a challenge!

And it isn't a huge amount of money for that much instruction. As long as the instruction is the kind that's suitable for your skill level, that is. So, find out what's the skill level expected of incoming students and what the target level the instructors are aiming. Assuming there're several groups of different level, and you're not at one end of the other of that spread, you will have the chance to move up or down as needed. I would go for it if I were in your position.

Awesome, this is a good perspective too :)

Rain. What's wrong with rain??? 1st, rainy days tend to have silky smooth snow surface. Enjoyable ski days. 2nd, skiing refrozen rain the day after is an opportunity to learn how to deal with rock hard snow. As the saying goes, there're good snow, then there're snow that are good for you. When you're taking instruction, the more varied, or even extreme conditions, will show you what you're lacking or need to work on. All good training.
Yeah, maybe I'll get good at all of it! Bring on the monsoons!!! I know about a few things I need to work on; need help with how to most effectively work on it to get better!

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looks like a pretty reasonable deal to me. And something would have to go very wrong NOT to become a better skier when skiing several days with some L3/L4s. Overload? Yeah, nah - there's a thing called guided mileage.

If this co have been doing it for many years they can't suck too badly.

twa2w

Putting on skis
Skier
The other option is a couple of shorter camps, spaced further apart.
Panorama offers a "ski with the Pros' camp early in Dec. Three days of skiing, with 6 distinct lessons, each with a different level 4 pro. Each lesson works on an aspect of skiing performance. I.e. stance and balance, edging control, etc.
You are placed in a group of similar ability and they may change you to another group if you are not at the correct level group. All groups work on the same skill, at the same time but at different levels.
Because it is early Dec, you won't do a lot of steep and deep but I found the skill development translated pretty well if you work on the drills after the camp.
They now offer a second camp in Feb or March, a similar setup but conditions should be more suited to your needs. I think they also offer a women's only exclusive camp.

There is a hostel in the town of Invermere. Rather rustic and you have to drive up to Pano each day, but pretty cheap.

This camp was originally started by the Bilodeaus - a husband and wife team of Level 4 CSIA demo team members. It was initially aimed at mostly L2&3 instructors to get them tuned up and ready for the season. It opened to the general public quite a few years ago.

I agree with the others on the Fernie camp. Fernie is hit or miss for the weather. I know someone who took this a few years ago. I don't see that it improved his skiing in a major way but that may be for other reasons. When you take a camp like that you have to practice those skills and drills to retain them even though you may look silly doing them on the hill.

Warren Jobbit camps are supposed to be good and he often has one at Louise or Revelstoke.

The danger with some of these longer-running camps is they can become social. Decent skiers signup year after year as a way to ski with other skiers at their same level and get lead around the mountain. They don't really improve much year to year but they get some great skiing in.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
The other option is a couple of shorter camps, spaced further apart.
Panorama offers a "ski with the Pros' camp early in Dec. Three days of skiing, with 6 distinct lessons, each with a different level 4 pro. Each lesson works on an aspect of skiing performance. I.e. stance and balance, edging control, etc.
You are placed in a group of similar ability and they may change you to another group if you are not at the correct level group. All groups work on the same skill, at the same time but at different levels.
Because it is early Dec, you won't do a lot of steep and deep but I found the skill development translated pretty well if you work on the drills after the camp.
They now offer a second camp in Feb or March, a similar setup but conditions should be more suited to your needs. I think they also offer a women's only exclusive camp.

There is a hostel in the town of Invermere. Rather rustic and you have to drive up to Pano each day, but pretty cheap.

This camp was originally started by the Bilodeaus - a husband and wife team of Level 4 CSIA demo team members. It was initially aimed at mostly L2&3 instructors to get them tuned up and ready for the season. It opened to the general public quite a few years ago.

I agree with the others on the Fernie camp. Fernie is hit or miss for the weather. I know someone who took this a few years ago. I don't see that it improved his skiing in a major way but that may be for other reasons. When you take a camp like that you have to practice those skills and drills to retain them even though you may look silly doing them on the hill.

Warren Jobbit camps are supposed to be good and he often has one at Louise or Revelstoke.

The danger with some of these longer-running camps is they can become social. Decent skiers signup year after year as a way to ski with other skiers at their same level and get lead around the mountain. They don't really improve much year to year but they get some great skiing in.
Pano used to be cheap on the hill 5-6 years ago (it's not THAT much further from to drive, Fernie-esque, 10 hours) but I don't think it is anymore. Does NOT need to be steep and deep; needs to be good at getting me to be a better skier :) Fernie I think about because my boys love it there, we go for a week in winter, and I have a place to stay, but its terrain honestly is not great for skills development on green groomers.

I don't believe I'm good enough for a Warren Jobbitt camp--I think those are sort of CSIA L2 standard for their lower camp and 3/4 for upper? Otherwise might be ideal.

I have very little interest in skiing with other skiers at the same level just for social purposes--I have a pair of skiers somewhat better/more adventurous than me (my boys) who I am desperate to enjoy time with before they fly the coop :) So thanks for that warning, don't want to spend a ton of money just to hangoutskies. I'm interested in getting better :)

Early in Dec is also interesting--get some stuff going early in the season!

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Note that Panorama is primarily a groomer/intermediate hill so great if you want to learn to carve but not so much for off piste

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ask about the group composition and placement strategy and what the focus of the clinic will be.

A common theme in threads here is that the poster frequently feels that some of the other group members should have been in a class or two of lower ability level. Others are more objective and maybe don’t mind being at the top of their class (in their mind at least), or they really were out to learn not just get a tour.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Note that Panorama is primarily a groomer/intermediate hill so great if you want to learn to carve but not so much for off piste
I remember Sun Bowl being fun even as a weaker intermediate, and Taynton Bowl is of course great for stronger skiers than me, but a little gnarly in places :) And not likely to be snowy or maybe even open in December :)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A common theme in threads here is that the poster frequently feels that some of the other group members should have been in a class or two of lower ability level. Others are more objective and maybe don’t mind being at the top of their class (in their mind at least), or they really were out to learn not just get a tour.

The actual number of students present for the camp will affect grouping by ability level. Higher attendance will often yield more even grouping.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
If you really want to improve as a skier, the best instruction camps I know are these:

Harb Ski Systems one-week camps at Arapahoe Basin offered throughout the year. Harald Harb and his wife, Diana Rogers, employ five high-level coaches from around the country to immerse you in the PMTS system of skiing. Groups are usually about 6, split by ability as shown in a skioff. If you're not familiar with Harald, look him up on Google. Very structured, very focused instruction. Video every day. (harbskisystems.com).

Rookie Academy camps in New Zealand. Offered from the end of June through the beginning of September, a number of options are available from three-week Advanced Camps for high-level skiers to one week and half day offerings. The coaches are the some of the best from around the world (JF Ballou, Tom Gellie, Reilly McGlashan, Sebastian Michel, JF Beaulieu, Jamie Kagan, etc.). One perk is that the exchange rate is phenomenal because everything is listed in New Zealand dollars. A course advertised as $1,000 will only cost you $600 US (rookieacademy.com).

I attend both every year.

Good luck!
Mike

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
If you really want to improve as a skier, the best instruction camps I know are these:

Harb Ski Systems one-week camps at Arapahoe Basin offered throughout the year. Harald Harb and his wife, Diana Rogers, employ five high-level coaches from around the country to immerse you in the PMTS system of skiing. Groups are usually about 6, split by ability as shown in a skioff. If you're not familiar with Harald, look him up on Google. Very structured, very focused instruction. Video every day. (harbskisystems.com).

Rookie Academy camps in New Zealand. Offered from the end of June through the beginning of September, a number of options are available from three-week Advanced Camps for high-level skiers to one week and half day offerings. The coaches are the some of the best from around the world (JF Ballou, Tom Gellie, Reilly McGlashan, Sebastian Michel, JF Beaulieu, Jamie Kagan, etc.). One perk is that the exchange rate is phenomenal because everything is listed in New Zealand dollars. A course advertised as $1,000 will only cost you $600 US (rookieacademy.com).

I attend both every year.

Good luck!
Mike

Exchange rate will kill him. Us Canucks have it bad when it comes to travelling anymore.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
I mean, TBH, the cost of transoceanic flights and lodging seem to be bigger than the neglible-in-comparison-camp-costs? :)

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
The Rookies will help with lodging (included in some of the camps). The things you are responsible for are airfare to Queenstown airport and food while you are there. They pick you up from the airport and transport you to the mountain every day. If interested, I suggest you inquire via their website. If you can make it work financially, it will be an experience you will never forget.

Best!
Mike

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Another option -- online coaching from Tom Gellie at Big Picture Skiing (bigpictureskiing.com). The academy is a half season or full season coaching program. You need to be able to get video of your skiing often. You post it to the website, then you will get a video back with comments on your skiing. There are 3 online classes a week covering a topic. In the early part of the season, the discussion is about a series of drills to improve some aspect of a common problem folk in the academy are having.

I've done a fair amount of camps. Tom's academy has made very significant impacts on the skiing of everyone who's participated, from people trying to get onto the demo team (two made it), passing their next certification exam, or just improving their skiing.

Sponsor