• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Choice for Tahoe Area

GRedlawsk10

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey folks,

I've been trying to wade through the numerous options for a daily-driver all mountain ski (essentially a quiver of one for the moment, with potential to grow down the road) and am not sure where to go at this point. I just moved to Truckee last month and have been skiing regularly since I got here - I grew up skiing on the East Coast and in the Midwest, and as recently as when I first got here this season was still on a pair of Elan SCX-Rs from... way too long ago. Now that I actually live around skiing, I know I should move over to something more modern that can handle the terrain around here. I was a pretty good skier as a kid and I still know vaguely what I'm doing, especially on groomed runs, but I want to improve my off piste skills. I've done a boot fitting and have demod a few pairs of skis (the Mantra M6 at 170 and the Unleashed 98 at 174), but I'm actually having a hard time actually deciding. I'm 34, 5'6" and 135lbs, and the Nordica's felt wildly different than anything I was used to, it was actually a pretty hard day out for me, while the Mantra's felt way more manageable and consistent at higher speeds, but I felt like I struggled on both when it came to moguls and maneuverability through the trees.

Honestly struggling to figure out where to go from here, since both skis were quite different - the Nordica's more exciting probably, but tough for me, while the Mantra's were great and consistent... but maybe I just need a smaller width to be more able to handle the moguls and trees? There are so many options out there that it's a bit hard to navigate. I've been considering trying out the Kendos or something different like the Stance 90 or 96... but really I'm just spitballing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Demo some more skis. Do you ski inbounds? off piste? Like groomers? Steeps? Ski fast? You mention moguls and trees, so maybe a shorter ski like the lengths you tried, the width sounds good. But these two skis just didn't click with you. Keep trying, you'll find something that will click.

TS
G

GRedlawsk10

Skier
Demo some more skis. Do you ski inbounds? off piste? Like groomers? Steeps? Ski fast? You mention moguls and trees, so maybe a shorter ski like the lengths you tried, the width sounds good. But these two skis just didn't click with you. Keep trying, you'll find something that will click.
Yeah that's fair, for at least the next season I expect to mix it up pretty regularly on the same day, so roaming from the steep groomers to off piste areas through trees as I get acclimated to the area, I want to broaden my skill base as much as I can.

And maybe it's just been bad luck, but so far several of the places I've went to get demos didn't have a ton of inventory in lengths short enough for me to try, which has added to struggle a little.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I demo- I do love to carve, so I will always hit the same trials for the first couple runs and let them rip, then try some moguls. I will do about 3 maybe 4 runs and then go try another pair of skis and repeat. Sometimes you get on some that just don't work for you, and when this happens with me I head right in a get another pair.

Yeah- you do need to find a shop at the mountain that has good inventory, or a couple shops. I have always called ahead to see what they do carry and go from there- so not all shops carry what you want to try and need to hit up multiple shops. Maybe on different days....

Have fun....

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As you probably already know, at Tahoe area resorts, it tends to dump for days and then have days to weeks of sunny skies. For storm and 1-2 day post dump skiing something stronger mid100s to mid110s to handle the Sierra cement would probably be best. For in between storms something 80-90mm for carving and off piste would work well. A two (or more) ski quiver would be ideal. More skis are always better. If you can't get more than one pair of skis, you have a couple of options. Get the 80-90mm ski since that's what you're probably going to ski most of the time and rent/demo something wider for deeper snow. Or compromise and get something 90-100mm that will be a jack of all trades, master of nothing. For length, 165-175cm is appropriate for your height and weight.

Last edited:

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah that's fair, for at least the next season I expect to mix it up pretty regularly on the same day, so roaming from the steep groomers to off piste areas through trees as I get acclimated to the area, I want to broaden my skill base as much as I can.

And maybe it's just been bad luck, but so far several of the places I've went to get demos didn't have a ton of inventory in lengths short enough for me to try, which has added to struggle a little.

If you ski Palisades, Sports Basement is having a demo day there on March 18 with lots of 23/24 options.

Jeff P

Booting up
Skier
Hey folks,

I've been trying to wade through the numerous options for a daily-driver all mountain ski (essentially a quiver of one for the moment, with potential to grow down the road) and am not sure where to go at this point. I just moved to Truckee last month and have been skiing regularly since I got here - I grew up skiing on the East Coast and in the Midwest, and as recently as when I first got here this season was still on a pair of Elan SCX-Rs from... way too long ago. Now that I actually live around skiing, I know I should move over to something more modern that can handle the terrain around here. I was a pretty good skier as a kid and I still know vaguely what I'm doing, especially on groomed runs, but I want to improve my off piste skills. I've done a boot fitting and have demod a few pairs of skis (the Mantra M6 at 170 and the Unleashed 98 at 174), but I'm actually having a hard time actually deciding. I'm 34, 5'6" and 135lbs, and the Nordica's felt wildly different than anything I was used to, it was actually a pretty hard day out for me, while the Mantra's felt way more manageable and consistent at higher speeds, but I felt like I struggled on both when it came to moguls and maneuverability through the trees.

Honestly struggling to figure out where to go from here, since both skis were quite different - the Nordica's more exciting probably, but tough for me, while the Mantra's were great and consistent... but maybe I just need a smaller width to be more able to handle the moguls and trees? There are so many options out there that it's a bit hard to navigate. I've been considering trying out the Kendos or something different like the Stance 90 or 96... but really I'm just spitballing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
After most of a day on the M6, I think it’s an incredible all around ski. That’s not to say you should not try more options, but for Tahoe conditions, it seems pretty great. I bought a set on the spot.

TS
G

GRedlawsk10

Skier
As you probably already know, at Tahoe area resorts, it tends to dump for days and then have days to weeks of sunny skies. For storm and 1-2 day post dump skiing something stronger mid100s to mid110s to handle the Sierra cement would probably be best. For in between storms something 80-90mm for carving and off piste would work well. A two (or more) ski quiver would be ideal. More skis are always better. If you can't get more than one pair of skis, you have a couple of options. Get the 80-90mm ski since that's what you're probably going to ski most of the time and rent/demo something wider for deeper snow. Or compromise and get something 90-100mm that will be a jack of all trades, master of nothing. For length, 165-175cm is appropriate for your height and weight.

Yeah I think that's honestly a good approach now, maybe just buying the 80-90mm for now with the intent to add a second ski to the quiver soon after. I appreciate the help.

If you ski Palisades, Sports Basement is having a demo day there on March 18 with lots of 23/24 options.

Oh cool, I live close enough and have a pass, so that seems like a great option.

While it matters a wee bit, are you a male or female?

Male!

After most of a day on the M6, I think it’s an incredible all around ski. That’s not to say you should not try more options, but for Tahoe conditions, it seems pretty great. I bought a set on the spot.

Yeah I mean I had a great time on it, if I had had a slightly better time off in the woods I think I wouldn't be second guessing them at all, but maybe that's just my weakness as a skier coming through.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Paging @Tony S to the SkiTalk Courtesy Phone for some ski selections.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I want to improve my off piste skills. I've done a boot fitting and have demod a few pairs of skis (the Mantra M6 at 170 and the Unleashed 98 at 174), but I'm actually having a hard time actually deciding. I'm 34, 5'6" and 135lbs, and the Nordica's felt wildly different than anything I was used to, it was actually a pretty hard day out for me, while the Mantra's felt way more manageable and consistent at higher speeds, but I felt like I struggled on both when it came to moguls and maneuverability through the trees.

Paging @Tony S to the SkiTalk Courtesy Phone for some ski selections.

Well crud. My ski testing is getting a little out of date. I'm not sure I'm going to be a big help with super specific recommendations.

I will say that your account of skiing the Mantra off piste is exactly what I'd expect most people your size to say. You're way down there on the weight to height ratio for American males. (I used to be, too, which is no doubt why Phil paged me.) Many of the most ballyhooed skis that are otherwise "the right length" for you are going to be stiffer than might be ideal, especially for bumps and trees. They're just built for someone 40 - 50 lbs heavier. Even the latest M6 "kinder and gentler" Mantra probably falls into that category.

One thing you can always do is just try a size down and see how you like it. For example, definitely try the 168cm Unleashed rather than the 174. In bumps and trees there's essentially no downside to this, and a notable upside. If you're also making high speed runs through crud, it becomes more of a trade-off. But then EVERYTHING is a trade-off. Buy for what you're actually going to ski most of the time.

It's important to understand that with many models flex becomes significantly softer as you go shorter. Others, not so much. A recent example that we noticed was the Fischer RC One 82 GT, that was very mellow @166 and quite burly @173.

The other angle is to work with a shop - and your own research and hand flexing skills - to identify models that are softer flexing than the norm. They're probably not skis that will get the very top magazine reviews, so to speak, but will be happy also-rans. That's okay. The Blizzard Rustler 9 is kind of "moderate" in flex and does a lot of things well. It's easier to ski than the Brahma/Bonafide brothers and splits the difference in width. Try that one in both the 164 and the 172. The 88mm and 94mm Ripsticks from Elan are good candidates. Same deal with the Volkl 86 and 94mm Blaze. The Ripsticks are a bit better on groomed; the Blaze in powder.

There are CERTAINLY others out there like this that I haven't gotten my hot hands on. The point is that if you get a slightly softer model your may not have to go short.

Also @Tricia is about our size and tries a lot more skis than I do. Look up her take on things.

TS
G

GRedlawsk10

Skier
Well crud. My ski testing is getting a little out of date. I'm not sure I'm going to be a big help with super specific recommendations.

I will say that your account of skiing the Mantra off piste is exactly what I'd expect most people your size to say. You're way down there on the weight to height ratio for American males. (I used to be, too, which is no doubt why Phil paged me.) Many of the most ballyhooed skis that are otherwise "the right length" for you are going to be stiffer than might be ideal, especially for bumps and trees. They're just built for someone 40 - 50 lbs heavier. Even the latest M6 "kinder and gentler" Mantra probably falls into that category.

One thing you can always do is just try a size down and see how you like it. For example, definitely try the 168cm Unleashed rather than the 174. In bumps and trees there's essentially no downside to this, and a notable upside. If you're also making high speed runs through crud, it becomes more of a trade-off. But then EVERYTHING is a trade-off. Buy for what you're actually going to ski most of the time.

It's important to understand that with many models flex becomes significantly softer as you go shorter. Others, not so much. A recent example that we noticed was the Fischer RC One 82 GT, that was very mellow @166 and quite burly @173.

The other angle is to work with a shop - and your own research and hand flexing skills - to identify models that are softer flexing than the norm. They're probably not skis that will get the very top magazine reviews, so to speak, but will be happy also-rans. That's okay. The Blizzard Rustler 9 is kind of "moderate" in flex and does a lot of things well. It's easier to ski than the Brahma/Bonafide brothers and splits the difference in width. Try that one in both the 164 and the 172. The 88mm and 94mm Ripsticks from Elan are good candidates. Same deal with the Volkl 86 and 94mm Blaze. The Ripsticks are a bit better on groomed; the Blaze in powder.

There are CERTAINLY others out there like this that I haven't gotten my hot hands on. The point is that if you get a slightly softer model your may not have to go short.

Also @Tricia is about our size and tries a lot more skis than I do. Look up her take on things.

Thanks for this, it's really helpful and jives with some of what I'd been reading - I was reading a lot of reviews and typically realized the person riding wasn't my size in any way. I'd been looking into the blaze as well, so it's interesting to see them here. I'd been looking at the Kendo as I think I mentioned too, but it seems like that could have some similar issues as the Mantra since it's a similar construction. I hadn't really thought about the Rustler but it seems like a potentially good balance. The idea of testing the flex of various sizes is also really interesting, I hadn't thought about that in this context.

I really appreciate this perspective so thanks s lot, it gives me a good direction to try out next as I try to hopefully demo a few more skis in various sizes. And I'll look up Tricia's takes for sure!

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
We are in the same weight height range. Trust what the similar women are relating in the other current ski advice thread.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just adding on that new in Rustler release for 2024 adds on new "Trueblend" construction which adjusts flex to sizes, so will result in less drastic change in flex feeling when switching different lengths. This scaling is already in the current gen of Bonafides.