• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Country Coffee

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I had espressos last January at Irwin, but I was a virgin and wasn't sure if it was good or great. I did enjoy them except for the tiny cups, those were bullshit.

Was there lots of foam on top? Was the foam brown or yellow-ochre-brown? Did the espresso smell of anything other than generic coffee? Was there a strong flavour other than acidic?

There are physical limit reasons for the tiny cups.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
6? 6 espressos here would have set you back $20+taxes. They do sound like they were at least half-decent and not pulled through one of the after-the-fact foamers.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
31ynR6ShEOL.jpg

My setup is pretty minimalist. Like my skis.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
image.jpeg
I don't think I have had a truly good cup of coffee in my life. Always crap I make, Kurig stuff and gas station brew. I had espressos last January at Irwin, but I was a virgin and wasn't sure if it was good or great. I did enjoy them except for the tiny cups, those were bullshit.

Good coffee is like good wine, you drink what you like. I'll be happy make you a properly pulled shot or latte. You may find that you just don't like it.

Here's my new baby. S1 Dream La Spaziele.
It's pretty much the Stockli or kastle of espresso machines. :beercheer:(Imagine coffee cups here)

Last edited:

kimmyt

Skier
Well, once you have kids, you don't have anything else.

True, but at the same time, an aeropress + hand ceramic grinder makes an exceptional cup of coffee. The big fancy machines are nice, but if you just want a good cup of joe it's one of the simplest ways to go!

Reactions: Ron

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
That Aeropress looks really interesting.
Does it make a better cup than one of these?
2013_bodum_acrylic_travel_press_0.jpg

kimmyt

Skier
If thats a plain old french press, then yes! I used a french press (the Bodum glass traditional kind) for a while. The aeropress makes a smoother cup of coffee, to me. Some of that is getting a better grinder too (the grinding process I find really makes a difference in the taste of the brew!)

I'm not sure if an aeropress makes a better cup than, say, a Chemex, but it's pretty darn close.

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Never seen one before, but it looks like a french press that's easier to clean.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
It's a French press travel mug, which I used to use while traveling. But it is a pain in the a$$ to clean and doesn't make any better coffee than Starbucks, whereas I use Starbucks French Roast beans in my Delonghi Perfecta, and it makes magic with those beans.
That Aeropress looks very interesting, and it looks like it would be easier to clean.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I also have a cheap but really nice pour over setup. For really good coffee, spend your money on the beans and the grinder. What @kimmyt has is great!

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
A simple cone and filter works for a pour-over. But, as you obviously know (witness your selection of machines), nothing compares to the brew extracted from good beans under pressure.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think I have had a truly good cup of coffee in my life. Always crap I make, Kurig stuff and gas station brew. I had espressos last January at Irwin, but I was a virgin and wasn't sure if it was good or great. I did enjoy them except for the tiny cups, those were bullshit.

I have a photo of this. Pinky finger out and all. :0

kimmyt

Skier
That Aeropress looks very interesting, and it looks like it would be easier to clean.

When I had a french press, even when I did a course grind, I still had sediment. The aeropress is like a french press but it also adds in a filter. Cleaning is as simple as dissassembling and rinsing. You can get reusable filters, but I haven't tried them. There are a few different methods of brewing (I think there are some easy to follow youtubes out there), I use the upside down method. Basically assemble the unit sans screw on top/filter, add grinds, water and wet the filter onto the cap, then let sit for about 3-4 minutes, then screw the cap on and flip, press out. It makes about the amount of an espresso cup, but for black coffee you just dilute with hot water to your desired strength. I also like that its plastic, because the number of glass french presses I've broken is too damned high.

Cons are that it only brews one cup at a time. I believe there might be 2-cup models out there, but I'm not sure.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January