• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Country Coffee

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anything better than average is ok after a day of skiing. The place in Lincoln NH is good.

The cafe area at Killington was fun because it was busy so we were just talking with a guy from MA and some girls from VT who ended up at our table. Of course later the same girls randomly offered my kid some mj on the lift which was funny and not funny.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Met in North Conway, Dark Horse or Wild Cherries in Truckee, Kaffe Mercantile in Ogden. I like a nice full bodied but not bitter cup of coffee or espresso drinks like a mocha or if I want something smaller, a cappuccino. I rarely drink espresso straight unless I happen to be in Europe.

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Roaster: Vermont Artisan Coffee in Waterbury http://www.vtartisan.com/

I like these guys because they a) keep varietal flavors the way they're supposed to be so Bulo Batak will taste plummy, the Yergacheffe will taste flowery, the Brazilian Santos will be the smoothest caramel b) their prices are extremely reasonable for a small-batch roaster c) there is something for everyone, for example if someone you know considers DD coffee 'strong' (ha!) the Brazilian Santos in a city roast will be light enough for them and full, rich both.

4 years late to comment, but I did try these guys based on tuna's post. They were very good. I dodged the pothole (actually a stream in a deep ditch across the driveway) on the way in, but forgot on the way out. I was afraid I had broken my axle, but all was good.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
5 years later, I still have the same aeropress and use it once (and occasionally twice) a day without fail. I did buy reusable filters but find that they are not as fine sieve as the disposables and anyway the disposable ones happily go into my compost. I have, however, resorted to pre-ground beans (gasp!) mostly because the mornings are rough enough with two kids under 6 and no caffeine in my body, and now homeschooling to boot. It still makes a pretty great cup of coffee. We take shortcuts where we must to survive.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I'm still using the same setup too, I just use BIG IRON coffee since the owners are fantastic people and they are a sponsor of the Tour De Steamboat that I'm involved with. I recently moved to triple shots 21grams in, 42 grams out over 30 seconds. Not sure why I hadn't done this years ago. Its the same ratio but more coffee so they last longer :).

Powder High

Getting off the lift
Skier
Don't pour boiling water over coffee, bring to a boil and count to 10 or so.

I didn't know this. I'd always thought you need to pour the water as soon as it reaches full boil directly into the french press. So I'll try the 10-second method.

And probably get a ceramic burr grinder to replace my old faithful blade grinder/chopper.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Roaster: Vermont Artisan Coffee in Waterbury http://www.vtartisan.com/

I like these guys because they a) keep varietal flavors the way they're supposed to be so Bulo Batak will taste plummy, the Yergacheffe will taste flowery, the Brazilian Santos will be the smoothest caramel b) their prices are extremely reasonable for a small-batch roaster c) there is something for everyone, for example if someone you know considers DD coffee 'strong' (ha!) the Brazilian Santos in a city roast will be light enough for them and full, rich both.

Coffee Shop/roaster: Speeder and Earls in Burlington. http://www.speederandearls.com/

These guys do dark roasts really, really well. The house blend ( Speeder's blend ) is an in-your-face morning jolt that can wake up the taste buds of two pack a day smokers (we have tested this). Without being the burnt off-tasting acidic mess that something like Starbucks Pike Place is.
Seven years late, but thanks for this post. I plan to be at MRG and Stowe in few weeks, and will absolutely stop in to VAC.

We used to have a brilliant specialty roaster where I live. It's a dry well around me now, so I have to make do with Gevalia.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't know this. I'd always thought you need to pour the water as soon as it reaches full boil directly into the french press. So I'll try the 10-second method.

And probably get a ceramic burr grinder to replace my old faithful blade grinder/chopper.
caveat, you are trying to hit around 201-203 for water temp so if you water boils at lower temps, dont worry.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Roundtop area skiers got a new roaster since the pandemic. New Freedom roasting. Recommended for fans of sweet-finish medium roasts.

IMG_20230806_150042.jpg

Seems to be a blend of Brazilian and Colombian. Very mild finish. Disregard the cedar note, they don't mean cut cedar. They mean cedar plank smoked like on salmon.

Low acids. If a coffee creamer addict is staying at your house, and you're out of creamer, make them a cup of this blend . Not recommended for iced coffee - their straight Colombian is perfect for that.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Roundtop area skiers got a new roaster since the pandemic. New Freedom roasting. Recommended for fans of sweet-finish medium roasts.
That seems to be up my alley, so to speak. Will have to try to remember if I get to Roundtop this coming season.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The coffee shops in Logan, UT are IMO far superior to Davis County / Ogden area. UT State is an Ag school so maybe that makes sense? Two of the best are Cafe Ibis and Crumb Bro's Bakery.

Madeline recommends Grounds for Coffee if you are in The Ogden / Davis County area.

Another recommendation is Black Sheep Coffee in Duchesne, UT. Well worth a stop for those traveling Rt. 40 from SLC to Steamboat.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The coffee shops in Logan, UT are IMO far superior to Davis County / Ogden area. UT State is an Ag school so maybe that makes sense? Two of the best are Cafe Ibis and Crumb Bro's Bakery.

Madeline recommends Grounds for Coffee if you are in The Ogden / Davis County area.

Another recommendation is Black Sheep Coffee in Duchesne, UT. Well worth a stop for those traveling Rt. 40 from SLC to Steamboat.
When we're in town we go to Park City Roasters if we are getting coffee out. Mostly we bring our own pourover set up to make coffee.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When we're in town we go to Park City Roasters if we are getting coffee out. Mostly we bring our own pourover set up to make coffee.
THANKS. Will give them a look hext time im in PC.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
THANKS. Will give them a look hext time im in PC.
They have a location at Kimble Junction.
The first time we stopped there, one of our ski industry connections wanted to meet there.
That place is crazy busy and very good.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That seems to be up my alley, so to speak.

Based on the taste profile? If yes, have you been to Caffe Amouri ?

At least half their 'adventure' roasts could be something you could enjoy.