• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski footbed for beginners

peepo

Booting up
Skier
Newbie question: Are you supposed to take out the original insole in the ski boots, then put the footbed into the boots? or should the footbed sit on top of the original insole?

thanks!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just to make sure...

We're just talking about the insole/footbed inside the liner. Inside your boot shell under the liner will also be a a boot board - stiff flat wood or plastic that give a flat base for the liner to sit on.

So inside each boot shell you'll have one boot board, then the liner, and then one footbed/insole inside the liner.

TS
P

peepo

Booting up
Skier
Just to make sure...

We're just talking about the insole/footbed inside the liner. Inside your boot shell under the liner will also be a a boot board - stiff flat wood or plastic that give a flat base for the liner to sit on.

So inside each boot shell you'll have one boot board, then the liner, and then one footbed/insole inside the liner.
Yup, inside the liner!

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Hard to find one that does not recommend an additional purchase.
I imagine it depends on how the rest of your body performs with the flat feet. For me, flat feet mean my knee does not track straight up and down when it is flexed and extended. So the correction of the footbed is very helpful. I think that is by far the most common situation.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm extremely flat footed and my very reputable and capable boot fitter recommended against a custom foot bed for me based on a number of reasons. Get thee to a good boot fitter.
I have a low arch and have gone with a semi custom footbed that features a low arch support in the right spot with no other mods needed. My point is that stock footbeds are very low quality and even a minimally modded or unmodded aftermarket footbed is an upgrade in comfort, fit (being the mirror image of the bottom of your foot, it tends to lock your foot in place), and possibly warmth over what comes with the boot.

I used to work at a ski shop and every manufacturer's rep at the Product Knowledge sessions would remove the stock footbed and state that they are garbage and should be thrown away. The only function of a stock footbed is to allow a customer to try on a boot in the store without having to bring his or her own custom footbed with them.

Last edited:

ikou

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I would like to ask if there are any requirements for the selection of ski insoles? I always have a little problem with the arch of my foot. Would it be more comfortable to switch to a more shock-resistant insole?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would like to ask if there are any requirements for the selection of ski insoles? I always have a little problem with the arch of my foot. Would it be more comfortable to switch to a more shock-resistant insole?
A lot depends on how mobile your foot is and how flexible. A proper footbed will accommodate, not correct.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used to work at a ski shop and every manufacturer's rep at the Product Knowledge sessions would remove the stock footbed and state that they are garbage and should be thrown away. The only function of a stock footbed is to allow a customer to try on a boot in the store without having to bring his or her own custom footbed with them.
You didn't ask how many of their contracted athletes keep the stock footbeds then?

KinPer

Skier
I have a low arch and have gone with a semi custom footbed that features a low arch support in the right spot with no other mods needed. My point is that stock footbeds are very low quality and even a minimally modded or unmodded aftermarket footbed is an upgrade in comfort, fit (being the mirror image of the bottom of your foot, it tends to lock your foot in place), and possibly warmth over what comes with the boot.

Read this thread. And now I understand why I'm uncomfortable with the standard footbed. Indeed, it's better to spend the money and get a custom footbed than go through the hassle of a standard one.
Or is that not a big deal for a beginner?

Hi all!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Read this thread. And now I understand why I'm uncomfortable with the standard footbed. Indeed, it's better to spend the money and get a custom footbed than go through the hassle of a standard one.
Or is that not a big deal for a beginner?

Hi all!

It is hard to overstate the importance of having your foot be stable so that you can easily balance on it.

If your foot is wobbling around in the boot essentially "searching" for some kind of support, then you won't be able to balance on it, and if you can't balance on it, you can't ski.

You can "correct" it (to some degree) by using muscular strength to just "will" your foot into a fixed position, but that's exhausting. If your foot is just being cradled in a nice relaxed supported position... everything else becomes easy.

As has been stated elsewhere in this thread -- the degree of customization your foot requires is very much a custom process. Some people get lucky and can utilize stock footbeds; others need some work done.

KinPer

Skier
It is hard to overstate the importance of having your foot be stable so that you can easily balance on it.

If your foot is wobbling around in the boot essentially "searching" for some kind of support, then you won't be able to balance on it, and if you can't balance on it, you can't ski.

You can "correct" it (to some degree) by using muscular strength to just "will" your foot into a fixed position, but that's exhausting. If your foot is just being cradled in a nice relaxed supported position... everything else becomes easy.

As has been stated elsewhere in this thread -- the degree of customization your foot requires is very much a custom process. Some people get lucky and can utilize stock footbeds; others need some work done.
Thank you. I have noticed that it is impossible to last long on muscular exertion.
I'll be thinking about a new footbed.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
A good custom footbed, although pricey, will outlast your ski boots and can thus be transferred to the next pair of boots and maybe the next boots after that.

puckbeeoutlander

Skier
when it comes to ski boots, it's usually best to take out the original insole That way, you can rock your footbed directly in the boots for a more customized fit and killer comfort on the slopes!

Sponsor

Staff online