• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski gimmick with the most potential?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
heschung ski boots.jpeg

These are Heschung 'Racer' boots from early 70's. The used a lightweight leather that was plastic-coated for stiffness. They had a funky cable and buckle system to get the good tightness. All the cool racer kids had these. ( I wasn't one of them!)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I owned D. above replaced it with these.

Those Dolomites were comfy, especially after owning Scott Super Hots which permanently tenderized my shins.
Do you remember the ski shop that you purchased the Dolomites from?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tecnica Phoenix Air Shell - I have the impression others did it too but nothing comes to immediate mind.
Nordica Trident - the pump idea worked OK, but I also added padding over my forefoot to help with the fit.

Uncle-A

Skier
I can picture it in my mind but not the name. It was in Buffalo when I was at UB.
Thanks, I thought you might have purchased them here in NJ. The shop I worked at was one of the largest Dolomite dealer in NJ and if you got them here it might have been in the shop I worked. Oh well I was just wondering.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm ready for a gadget that turns you ski poles in to a pop up folding seat. Back in the day we'd stick our skis in the snow tails down and tips up about 18" apart and lay the poles across the bindings and sit on the poles.. Stuff like that pre turned up tails is fine for kicking back out on the side of the trials..

I'm looking for something you can pop out and take a seat while shimmying through a long and slow lift line...

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
D. I owned a pair of Nordica Polaris back in the day and loved them. If I could get some in the 100-120 flex range and 102 mm wide, I would buy them.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 154052
These are Heschung 'Racer' boots from early 70's. The used a lightweight leather that was plastic-coated for stiffness. They had a funky cable and buckle system to get the good tightness. All the ,, cool racer kids had these. ( I wasn't one of them!)
Those Heschungs were something a lot of racers held on to long after better boots came out . It was a bit of a cult thing among certain higher caliber racers. They also came in blue if I recall.

Uncle-A

Skier
Those Heschungs were something a lot of racers held on to long after better boots came out . It was a bit of a cult thing among certain higher caliber racers. They also came in blue if I recall.
They remind me of the Molitar boots of the past with the zig zag cable. You can go to the All Things Molitar page for pictures.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 154052
These are Heschung 'Racer' boots from early 70's. The used a lightweight leather that was plastic-coated for stiffness. They had a funky cable and buckle system to get the good tightness. All the cool racer kids had these. ( I wasn't one of them!)
I was one of them. I found they really didn't have the stiffness I wanted, and after about two weeks I hit a bump sitting back and the plastic crimped and broke. I traded in the warrantee pair for Langes. Friends who were stuck with them were envious. I didn't see the cult that liked them, but I heard about some race stock boots that were beefier.

One fatal flaw---they were designed to put your foot really low to the ski, "for better feel". Later of course we learned the advantage riser plates and thick soles.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
All gimmicks have potential but most are exercises in vanity and/or marketing. The ski industry being plagued by the latter as much as anything. The only gimmick that I think ever really made it was the rear entry boot and that was at the price of reducing skiability and ski skills for a decade or more. Having basically used rear entries in my teen years, about 18 years ago I tried my Dad's for one run, coming off a very low end overlap boot (I was mainly snowboarding at the time). Basically unskiable. All credit to @mdf for persisting and yes I recognise the niche for those with low ankle mobility still.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Gripwalk is a gimmick that's just accelerated obsolescence into everyone's existing kit - surprised people are such mugs

Sponsor

Staff online