• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski injury taking member out of Aspen Gathering

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
So sorry to hear about this situation. My prayers are with Lucia and you. The medical care sound exceptional. Please keep us informed.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
  1. @dbostedo - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  2. @David Chaus - Feb 26- Mar 5
  3. @PisteOff - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  4. @ChunderBlunder - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  5. @TheArchitect and Mrs. TheArchitect (non-skier) - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  6. @Unpiste - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  7. @Flying Dutchess - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  8. @Phelmut -Feb 26 - Mar 5 open for roomie(s)
  9. @Philpug
  10. @Tricia
  11. @lone pine 2/26 - 3/5
  12. @bbinder
  13. @margaritamarcia
  14. @KevinF - February 26th - March 5th
  15. @SkiDB - February 26th - March 5th
  16. @MattSmith - February 26th - March 5th
  17. @Garyskr (aka @Gary Stolt) - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  18. @theNitza - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  19. @Andy Mink - 26-5
  20. @AKMINK - 26-5
  21. @jimmy - 26-5
  22. @JohnL - 26-5 for lodging
  23. @mdf - 26-5
  24. @Pumba & Peter - dates not locked in (& as long as no new strain, will need beginner ski lessons - any others interested in group lesson - hit me up!)
  25. @Noodler - TBD (I have the pass, but nowhere to stay yet; P.S. I'm fully vaccinated...
  26. @Dryheat Feb 26 - 28th
  27. @Tony S Feb 26 - Mar 5 (exclusive)
  28. @Dean Feb 26 - Mar 5 + a few days in Steamboat after
  29. @SKI-3PO 26-5
  30. @P-Ute Feb 27 - Mar 5
  31. @VickieH Feb 25 - Mar 4
  32. @Jim Kenney Feb 27 & 28. Only two days, but they're going to be two fun days! Got family coming to visit later in the week and have to return to SLC to ski and recreate with them.
  33. @Brock Tice 26-1

Moderator edit:
I have taken discussion about Lucia's injury to its own thread here.
Tony, So sorry to hear about Lucia falling and the resulting injury. Take care of her and we hope and pray for a full recovery - hope to ski with you soon.
Gary

TS
Tony

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Thanks again everyone for your concern. Lucia is doing better. Yesterday may have been the first day she did not have a headache. She has improved enough that I have resumed my ski season after more than 30 day break to be there for her.

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks from second procedure to drain subdural hematoma. That is when Dr. said she could drive again, but we think it's better for her to wait as long as possible. I was prepared to return after skiing today to take her to regular eye Dr. appt. on Tues. and Physical Therapy for her injury on Wed, but our son who lives 50 miles away agreed to work from our house and take her so I'm extending my time away from home.

We have been walking 3-4 miles most days, usually in mid-AM and late afternoon with our dog in the neighborhood and she did that solo yesterday. She tries to avoid bending over and lowering her head as it does not feel good. She's found it hard to always be holding her head up so we replaced a leather arm chair that needed it with a power reclining leather loveseat with power headrest to give her a more comfortable place to watch TV and crochet.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks again everyone for your concern. Lucia is doing better. Yesterday may have been the first day she did not have a headache. She has improved enough that I have resumed my ski season after more than 30 day break to be there for her.

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks from second procedure to drain subdural hematoma. That is when Dr. said she could drive again, but we think it's better for her to wait as long as possible. I was prepared to return after skiing today to take her to regular eye Dr. appt. on Tues. and Physical Therapy for her injury on Wed, but our son who lives 50 miles away agreed to work from our house and take her so I'm extending my time away from home.

We have been walking 3-4 miles most days, usually in mid-AM and late afternoon with our dog in the neighborhood and she did that solo yesterday. She tries to avoid bending over and lowering her head as it does not feel good. She's found it hard to always be holding her head up so we replaced a leather arm chair that needed it with a power reclining leather loveseat with power headrest to give her a more comfortable place to watch TV and crochet.
Glad to hear things are looking up!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Glad to hear Lucia is on the road to recovery. So am I, but I am only 3 days out from my big crash: briefly unconscious and concussion, and since I am on blood thinners an MRI revealed NO internal bleeding but I have stiff, strained muscles in lower back, left shoulder and shoulder blade, left arm, left upper upper chest (worst). Surprisingly 2 cracked ribs (5th & 6th rib left side also revealed by MRI) are not too bad and do not give pain on deep breathing or laughing (not doing much of that these days), only pain when coughing.

TS
Tony

Tony

tseeb
Skier
@DanoT Sorry to hear of your injury. Lucia never lost consciousness and finished run after she crashed most of the way through it, then rode short lift and skied long run to get to bottom.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
@DanoT Sorry to hear of your injury. Lucia never lost consciousness and finished run after she crashed most of the way through it, then rode short lift and skied long run to get to bottom.
With my crash I came to as soon as a bystander started to take my ski off. I was concussed and didn't come "out of it" and started thinking clearly until we were in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. I do remember thinking when the Patrol first showed up, "Oh, I guess I'm not getting up, getting my skis on and skiing to the bottom". I knew what resort I was at and the day of the week but not too sure were I was staying or if I was on a ski trip in my truck camper. LOL.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tony how is Lucia doing?

TS
Tony

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Lucia is doing well, never had any cognitive problems, and has resumed all normal activities except for skiing which she plans to resume next season.

She does not like how her hair is growing out in the two spots they shaved and still has some neck pain, some of which may have pre-dated her skiing crash. For the neck pain, she has been getting acupuncture and is taking a group online chronic pain management class, both are through Kaiser, our health care provider. She is also scheduled for another CT scan as there was still some fluid slowly draining in last scans.

In a couple of weeks to celebrate our granddaughter's 8th grade graduation, we are re-doing the Disneyland/CA Adventure trip we did in the three plus weeks between her accident and hospitalization. She skipped almost all of the more violent rides in Jan. Reminder to everyone: If you have a concussion, no matter how slight, bad things can happen up to six weeks later, so you and everyone around you needs to be aware of any changes.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
She does not like how her hair is growing out in the two spots
When my older sister had brain surgery the areas affected developed some interesting cowlicks come in.
She has learned to roll with it and her hair style became a bit more interesting. IMHO she looks really good.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Lucia is doing well, never had any cognitive problems, and has resumed all normal activities except for skiing which she plans to resume next season.

In a couple of weeks to celebrate our granddaughter's 8th grade graduation, we are re-doing the Disneyland/CA Adventure trip we did in the three plus weeks between her accident and hospitalization.
Cool, Good news.

Are you sure wanting to go back to Disneyland during kids' summer holidays of all times isn't a cognitive error though? ;)

TS
Tony

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Are you sure wanting to go back to Disneyland during kids' summer holidays of all times isn't a cognitive error though? ;)
We are going the second Mon/Tues in June to be with wife's son and his family. Hoping early weekdays and being early in June will be better than most other days in Summer. We had a couple of near one hour lines on a Mon/Tues in Jan when temps were mid to high 70s. I avoided some of the worst lines by using singles line. But Disney lines make my worst liftlines this season look like nothing.