• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Instructor Shortages

SkiSchoolPros

Impact Ecosystem- ie.Money with Meaning
Skier
For years, low instructor pay was attributed to an abundance of people willing to work for the wages being offered. However, in recent years many Colorado Ski Schools have "sold out" numerous days because of a lack of instructors.

One thing many guests won't be booking online this Christmas is a $1,200 private lesson as most days are showing no availability.
Screenshot_20211209-172128_Chrome.jpg

Last season, some guests who had booked in advance had the resort cancel on them due to instructor shortages.

If the USFS didn't promote ski school monopolies, don't you think someone would step up and pay 50% of the lesson cost to qualified instructors who would happily teach these students? Instead, Target and Wendy's offer higher starting wages than many PSIA certified instrucors are paid.

What do you see as the ramifications of turning away potential ski school guests?

(Appologies if this was covered in https://www.skitalk.com/threads/ski-school-monopolies.25326/ I took the poll just now, but haven't yet read the entire thread)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Plenty of instructors.. sitting things out..

James

Out There
Instructor
This should just go in the monopoly thread, despite the op’s dislike of discussion.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If the USFS didn't promote ski school monopolies, don't you think someone would step up and pay 50% of the lesson cost to qualified instructors who would happily teach these students?

Yes.

This should just go in the monopoly thread, despite the op’s dislike of discussion.

Well, to be fair, I don't think he dislikes discussion, I think he just pushes back.

A lot. :geek:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Isn't it how the labor market is intended to work? Supply and demand.

Can't get staff? Then up the remuneration and benefits until they apply.

This is supposedly why they pay the suits at major corporations the big bucks/bonuses/private jets - to attract the entrepreneurial talent.

Then again the whole thing may be temporary and once there's free flow of workers from overseas it'll go back to gappers willing to work for the scenery & parties and financially ok retirees willing to work for the uniform and exercise.

I really feel for those instructors who are making a professional career out of it - been a tough deal for some time. It's that sad joke about the ski instructor who won the lottery - going to keep working until the money runs out. :(

TS
SkiSchoolPros

SkiSchoolPros

Skier
I came to Pugski to advise the community of the instructor shortage not realizing there was a monopoly thread. I have participated in anti-monopoly threads for close to a decade, but am busy with a non-ski project currently. I did post a few quick thoughts in the monopoly thread and forwarded it to some people who I know are interested, but don't have time to read all 15 pages.

Just got this forwarded to me:

Subject: RE: Beaver Creek - Private lessons

Hello ,

We are sold out for all private lessons 12/18 thru 12/30. You are able to book lessons online at www.beavercreek.com for 1/1 – 1/3. We do not have a waiting list for the days we are sold out. You will also need to purchase tickets online

Thank you,

Beaver Creek Adult Ski and Snowboard School

Beaver Creek Resort

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Asking seriously, isn't it pretty common for most big and big-ish resorts to be sold out on darn near everything over the Christmas break?

TS
SkiSchoolPros

SkiSchoolPros

Skier
Well obviously if they are sold out, they are under-priced. :P
LOL...I've been in multiple meetings over the years where SAM has used exactly that argument to justify price increases. Never once have I heard them say that the flip side of the coin is to raise wages to attract more instructors.

The different hills talk to each other and the concensus this summer was that everyone was short staffed and looking to hire more. All options were on the table EXCEPT a significant wage increase. Not considering significant wage increases is a luxury only a monopsonist can enjoy.

TS
SkiSchoolPros

SkiSchoolPros

Skier
Asking seriously, isn't it pretty common for most big and big-ish resorts to be sold out on darn near everything over the Christmas break?
Maybe for last minute walk-ups, and shortages have been building for years as fewer new hires stick with it once they consider raising a family, but I've never seen private lessons sell out this early. My experience is mainly in Colorado, so I can't speak for other areas.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Nope. Got Lifties? We only have ticket scanners?
Training instructors to run the lift!
I suppose if those from South America don’t arrive in time, we’ll choose between lessons and lifts.
Btw, the SA contingent is very spread out between different departments.
So… if you always wanted to drive a groomer, this might be a good time. But, no vax, no work.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The different hills talk to each other and the concensus this summer was that everyone was short staffed and looking to hire more. All options were on the table EXCEPT a significant wage increase. Not considering significant wage increases is a luxury only a monopsonist can enjoy.

Ummm.... isn't that price fixing illegal?

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ummm.... isn't that price fixing illegal?
Smell like one to me!

In other profession, it's common practice to "steal" employees from your competitors by paying more. But apparently, that's not the case for ski instructor. It looks like they'd rather keep the high profit margin, even if it means turning away some customers

Sponsor