• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski lessons way more affordable in Southamerica...

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is just an observation...As an industry as a whole, I do not think ski instructors charge a high enough rate....especially for the amount of continuing education, experience, and locations these great folks teach.

Determining Rates Can Be Based on the Following:
1) Selling your Time - Typically the Lowest Rates $/hr
2) Level of Expertise - Typically Based on Experience and Credibility
3) Availability - Based on Supply and Demand. I only have so many spaces in my book. This is where the "Gold Is" ....need to get here!

I have taken several on-line lessons from one of the best ski instructors on the planet...when I looked at his rates...I said" Are you serious?...your rates are way too low bud...I feel guilty only paying you this amount for your level of expertise and making your self available to me!"

BTW...If you were to book a lesson with me in golf it is $250 per hour...I am booked 6-8 weeks in advance. Which means my rates are "borderline too low for my level of expertise and availability"

Last edited:

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
The main problem is nearly all instructors don't actually set any rate. The ski resort does, and the instructor only sees a small percentage.
That's really a shame...thanks for informing me of that fact...The Golf Industry tries to do the same...but then they do not get the best instructors.... I bring hundreds of clients to my resort a year and sell thousands of dollars of lodging, food, bar, and play that THE RESORT never would have received. A Great Instructor is a "VALUE-ADDED SERVICE!"

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Well it's not like they hold you down and force beef down you throat. :ogbiggrin:

True, but surviving for more than a week on nothing but Malbec, Torrontes and black coffee will be hard. Even for me. :D

Now go to Netflix and watch Todo Sobre el Asado to see how close they really get :)

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is just an observation...As an industry as a whole, I do not think ski instructors charge a high enough rate....especially for the amount of continuing education, experience, and locations these great folks teach

Then there is the aviation industry & poor CFI/CFII's. :)
I can schedule what will amount to 1/2 day (3+ hrs) for a BFR (biennial flight review) ground and air work, in a light piston single & there is a very good chance it won't cost over $100 for her/his time. (total, not/hr)

smt

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online