• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review SKI magazine 2017 ski test

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Well, it's out. No big surprises, other than indie manufacturer Wagner getting some love. Not much new product; many well-reviewed skis from recent years still up in the rankings. One thing that did strike me, however, was how skis unchanged from previous years changed places radically in the rankings. One example is the Head Superjoy woman's ski. Now, my wife is an instructor and she loved it and bought it three years ago at the National Academy in Snowbird (she bought the demo; the first one in the country, I believe). It's a fabulous hard-snow-oriented ski (75 in the waist), light but stiff, great grip, versatile. Quote from the current magazine, "After two years at number 4, it finally nabs the top spot." Come again? An unchanged ski is suddenly better than three new skis and all unchanged skis that beat it last year? Another example, the women's Temptation 88, "was number 1 two years ago, missed the cut last year, now it's back at the top..." Excuse me? This is an unchanged ski. Now we know conditions can change and reviewers are subjective, but these are mostly the same people who have tested the same skis for the past three years. If this proves anything, it is that folks who are looking for a new ski should read as many reviews as possible (Skiiing, Ski, Ski Canada, Realskiers, etc.). Google a ski that sounds promising and read online reviews (Yellow Gentian is good) and watch video reviews (skis.com has a lot). You'll start to get a consensus. Read/listen between the lines. A ski may be great for a big guy (200 lbs. plus) but not someone smaller. If reviewers consistently talk about a ski's power and dampness, a 155-lb skier may not be a good match. If reviews praise a skis playfulness and agility, a burly guy might well overpower it. There are few bad skis out there, but you need to find the ones that are best for you. After your research, you'll probably have a list of skis that are promising. At that point, demo if possible. Lots of hills have early-season demo days. Most shops will let you pay about $50 to demo for a day and return as often as you want that day to switch skis. Find a shop that has the skis you're interested in and demo them. The cost of the demo is usually subtracted from the purchase price if you buy the skis from the demo shop. Highly recommended. Good luck!

Last edited:
TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Oh, one other thing...

The most versatile and user-friendly ski I've tested in two years wasn't even mentioned this year: the Volkl RTM 81 (orange and black topsheet last year). Solid feel, smooth, even flex, excellent grip on hard snow, not so stiff that it's too much work in bumps. Excellent powering through crud and enough flotation for up to nine inches of fresh. I weigh 160 and ski it in a 170 length; if you're anywhere in that weight range, I highly recommend a demo.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I'm reading this test as well, and most of the time what they are saying does not make much sense to me, and yet the ski that wowed me last season (Enforcer 93) is in the top spot. Go figure... The comment on the tune is spot-on. Don't even get me started on what they are saying about boots. It's not that it's wrong, it's just thoroughly unhelpful.

I also find it bizarre that they compare Wagner customs with the run of the mill commercial skis, at $1,700+ Wagners should blow every other ski in the test out of the water, unless you are paying for the recognizable graphics and your name spelled on the tails.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm reading this test as well, and most of the time what they are saying does not make much sense to me, and yet the ski that wowed me last season (Enforcer 93) is in the top spot. Go figure... The comment on the tune is spot-on. Don't even get me started on what they are saying about boots. It's not that it's wrong, it's just thoroughly unhelpful.

I also find it bizarre that they compare Wagner customs with the run of the mill commercial skis, at $1,700+ Wagners should blow every other ski in the test out of the water, unless you are paying for the recognizable graphics and your name spelled on the tails.
I never really understood the boot tests and comparisons. I have yet to see the magazine so I am not sure what they are saying about the tuning, could it be what we have been saying here? You demo the tune and conditions before you demo the ski?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

And maybe that's exactly the point they're trying to make - "Expecting mo' money to directly get you mo' ski is about as realistic as expecting that Katy Perry can cure cancer once and for all by soliciting $5 from each fan and setting up a foundation. There are more things in life that do not capitalise well than there are those that do. So, taking that for granted, what is the bleeding edge?"

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have to admit, I have never been on a Wagner ski. I do know that @SBrown was on a cat trip with a company that used them exclusively and she enjoyed them and I know Seth Masia skis them as his everyday ski and he has access to whatever ski he could want. I might have to reach out to them to see what all of the fuss is about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wagner skis, really well thank you. I went through the ordering process and have pair 2011-142 (with my name on'em). I've been a skier for a long time, and knew what I wanted in a ski. Pete Wagner and I talked and emailed and as scheduled a pair was delivered to the house outside CB. Since than I've put quite a few days on them, could be over 100, in many different conditions. In my opinion they're everything I had in mind when we finished our design conversations. If I skied just a few days a season, the price would have been too much for me. I'm lucky enough to ski often, so the cost per day, as if that means anything, is not bad at all. They didn't make me a better skier, but they sure make me a happy skier when I'm on any slope with them attached to my boots

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
And maybe that's exactly the point they're trying to make - "Expecting mo' money to directly get you mo' ski is about as realistic as expecting that Katy Perry can cure cancer once and for all by soliciting $5 from each fan and setting up a foundation. There are more things in life that do not capitalise well than there are those that do. So, taking that for granted, what is the bleeding edge?"

Depends. having some Kastle skis in the family quiver, and having been on some tester Stocklis, I confess that higher MSRP sometimes does translate into some higher-quality on-snow experience. The metaphor is also somewhat bizarre, isn't that in a nutshell how charities are supposed to work?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Depends. having some Kastle skis in the family quiver, and having been on some tester Stocklis, I confess that higher MSRP sometimes does translate into some higher-quality on-snow experience. The metaphor is also somewhat bizarre, isn't that in a nutshell how charities are supposed to work?

Not a metaphor - an analogy :) and it was actually suggested. And throwing money at a problem only works so far as the state of the art allows, which was the gist of Katy Perry's response.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Can't wait to read these reviews for myself...but will wait until they're out online :)

FYI, from EVERYTHING I've heard, Wagner skis are really "all that"....I've never heard anything short from an owner....they've all simply praised them, saying that they are EXACTLY what they ever wanted in a ski as spec'ed, long lasting, etc.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I succumbed and bought the mag at the grocery store. No comparison test is perfect, but they are analytical, and appear to use a lot of testers.

That said, the biggest thing I noticed was that the entire Head Monster line moved up dramatically from last year.

Maybe there is something to that graphene magic, after all?!

Sponsor

Staff online