• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SKI Magazine Going Digital

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got an e-mail saying the Nov. 22 issue will be the last print issue. Then it will be part of Outside+.

Despite all the complaints about content, it won't be the same.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Announced here:

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just got an e-mail saying the Nov. 22 issue will be the last print issue. Then it will be part of Outside+.

Despite all the complaints about content, it won't be the same.
I can't say I'll miss SKI. The content was terrible. The whole mag felt like an advertisement for a family vacation and groomer skiing. I miss Skiing though, that was a fun read.

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't received any hardcopy issues so far this season. In past years, the "Gear" issue would arrive in late August. I hadn't even noticed it's absence until I saw this thread. I guess that's testimony to my fading enthusiasm (for the magazine, not for skiing!). 7-10 years ago, when an issue would arrive. I would stop whatever I was doing and read it cover to cover. More recently, it appears that the font size for non-advertisement content has gotten smaller each succeeding year -- maybe to increase the ratio of advertising-to-total page per issue? R.I.P.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With information being released in "real time", in January when the gear is released at trade shows, the magazines are pretty much ancillary.

Also it isn't the ads that are any more previlant in the new magazines, there has always been a ton of ads and if we look at the percentages, i would guess they are still within 5% of when the Buyers Guide was 300 pages (it has been about 100 pages of late). Where the difference is is that the reviews and content feels more like well placed advertisement for the resorts and product. I am not saying that in years past it was Woodstein and Brombeck level investigative journalism but it was a helluva lot better.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Feels like the industry is shooting itself in the foot - how will the entry level consumer have any idea about how amazing the sport is if they can’t pick up the magazine at their local supermarket?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Feels like the industry is shooting itself in the foot - how will the entry level consumer have any idea about how amazing the sport is if they can’t pick up the magazine at their local supermarket?
Don't think the real target consumer picks up magazines these days. Hey it's probably pre Covid since I picked up one at all and longer since I bought one. Can't imagine anyone under 40 even considers non digital at all.

Tik Tok is the way you reach new skiers

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got my had copy of the Blister Winter Buyer’s Guide today. It’s excellent as usual, and it’s something I’ll go back to all winter as I inevitably break down and buy more skis.

A friend gave my son a subscription to Freeskier for his birthday last year, and their buyer’s guide showed up a few weeks ago. Much more along the lines of what you’d see in Ski than in Blister’s guide.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Tik Tok is the way you reach new skiers

What was your phrase from the other thread? Ah, right.

"Naive personal experience"

You know...I wonder if any of the brands could start doing consumer-targeted catalogues with long-form content.

And, yes, I am completely aware of the irony of VR's lifestyle mag 'Epic Life Magazine' now being just another TikTok channel.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
What was your phrase from the other thread? Ah, right.

"Naive personal experience"

I don't even do Tik Tok but I'm aware it's about the biggest media that teens consume. Skiing has way more chance to stimulate interest from cool tricks and bursts of joy from that than a glossy dead tree talking about swanky hotels and condos.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
What's a magazine? Like for a firearm?

Is it like a phone because I just picked that up to look at products and go shopping.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I love that as twisted as I undoubtedly am that tuna can always trump me in taking things on a tangent.

Plus given my approaching senility I have had to spellcheck undoubtedly which presumably is corrupted by presumably to leave one thinking ably or not as the case may be. So everyday is sorta a reschool day.

Sponsor

Staff online