• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Marketing From World Cup Podiums

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The binding is one of the worst kept secrets in racing...maybe ever?

Yes. It is. Particularly funny when Hirscher moved to the Marker 30.0 and Piston Plate. Part of his tech’s equipment included rattle can spray paint and dozens of bottles of model and auto touch up paint to TRY to somewhat disguise them! Pretty hard to hide the shape and origin of the bindings.

Then of course virtually EVERY high level male athlete on a ski that was paired with Marker refused to move to their newer bindings and insisted on using the age-old EPS 30.0’s with the appropriate Piston Plate. This was true of WC skiers, national team, NorAm, NCAA, etc.
If you saw a Nordica, Bizzard, Volkl, of a Stockli.....

The Marker X-Cell with it’s various spring sizes {the 24 max DIN was pretty commonly suggested/provided} just was not shown a lot of love by the best. Not initially. And pretty obviously a few at the top also rejected the Atomic X Series race bindings.

If you are that good, you can push back, even years later. Whole lot of that was going with these bindings.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had a younger buddy who worked on the WC tour, right out of college, as a VERY lowly service assistant "grunt" with a bunch of tasks. I know that at one point, when he worked for Lange, part of his job was to grab the the athletes' "real boots from them, and hand them pair of the latest production plug boots to hold over their shoulder {held together with the Lange power strap...which none of them used} for the photo ops.

One race day, things were out of control busy and he missed that "task". I think the two guys who were photographed on the podium were Eberharter and Maier, maybe Rahlves, too. They were all in Lange, but NOTHING that looked like the average Lange plug. Their boots were carbon fibre. They were painted a touch darker blue. The Lange logo was painted on them {and often touched up with model paint.} The liners? All made of smooth black leather. All foamed. I believe all actually custom made by Stroltz. And yeah, they used this thing called a Booster Strap. So....NOT GOOD to have those pics snapped.

My buddy almost got fired, but they paid him nothing and he worked like a dog. He stuck with them for the season.

We have another friend who worked in a similar role for Rossi, basically doing really crappy work that the techs would not do. One of the toolboxes that he travel with with full of boot parts, decals, model paint {brush and spray} and his job was to make sure that Tomba's Lange boots always looked like the current model, though the shells were all the wrong color. They also as I recall had some fiberglass reinforcement inside the cuffs that had to be hidden. Those things NEVER got near the podium.

Tomba had a nice contract with Scott poles, but hated the grips, so the poles that he actually used were Scott shafts with Grippon grips, which I think had older leather Kerma straps....all doctored color wise, and all ripped out of his hands not to be seen near the cameras.....or hopefully not.

The ski piece was always easy. Easy quick swap.

I've always thought it was pretty funny as who would begin to think that what "they use" is close to what the rest of us could obtain through a normal distribution chain...OR that what they use is actually the same thing that they are seen with. It's not.

I recall being invited to watch Hirscher train, early season {a tough invite to get, tough company, through a friend} and watching them dial in his whole setup. Pretty interesting. My mutual friend made the comment that not one piece of his setup was as cosmetically set up....nothing was what it appeared to be. And kind of obvious up close. And no cameras permitted.

All I've got.
I think I Romberg Tomba always had duct tape over his grips.

Muleski

Inactive
I think I Romberg Tomba always had duct tape over his grips.

Could be. I don’t recall that. The issue, and Tomba’s reason for preferring the grips, was that they had a base on the bottom of the grip. Moulded into it, maybe 2” in diameter.

At the time, the grips were bright lime green, not that different than the yellow on the Scott Comp poles. So, yeah, no desire to advertise that “the world’s best tech skier thinks our pole grips suck!” Ha!

Dunno about the tape.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think Atomic already gave up on that, as from what I heard, they are already dragging current stock back from dealers and stores, as there's almost zero sale in Europe and with lot of already made skis with new design for 2021/2022 season, 100.000s of this year's skis are getting back to factory to be destroyed.
Yes, I heard about 500,000 skis unsold as a combined number from the major manufacturers. This is a significant number of unsold skis.

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
What exactly is going on here? (Capture from the FIS Alpine YouTube channel video “Skiing Without Spectators” short, out today). Decal to disguise last year’s ski with a lower-case “i” graphic from next year’s model?
ED8DB072-7D74-488B-AEF1-C5378430399C.jpeg

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What exactly is going on here? (Capture from the FIS Alpine YouTube channel video “Skiing Without Spectators” short, out today). Decal to disguise last year’s ski with a lower-case “i” graphic from next year’s model?

Yup - basically that.

Atomic is doing the same thing with the Revoshock skis for 2021-22, placing decals that look like Servotec rods on the topskins.

Typically the new designs will become more "public" around World Cup finals.

Vicmoto

Booting up
Skier
Yes, I heard about 500,000 skis unsold as a combined number from the major manufacturers. This is a significant number of unsold skis.
Then... I better wait until May/June to get a new (old 2021) pair

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Problem is they aren't going to be on fire sale...a few OEMs have already pushed back "next years" models so likely one isn't going to see massive deals on this stuff.
Inventory control more than anything.

Muleski

Inactive
Isn’t Blizzard out of the US race ski market now?

Yes. They are putting all of their energy into the non race skis. May have been leftove product this fall, but as far as I know, no more race “support” in the USA. Not that there has been much dedicated Race dept stuff for a few years.

I am quite sure that Tonetti’s ski is NOT a cosmetic thing. If you look carefully, it’s a layer of “something”, held in place with the black pieces. Cosmetic would be a film or wrap, and would look better, IMO. Presumably it stiffens the ski, and essentially externally alters the layup’s performance.

My guess. Know nobody on the ski. 5-6-7 years ago, knew quite a few.

Not sure what the long term race plans are for Nordica, either....

James

Out There
Instructor
I am quite sure that Tonetti’s ski is NOT a cosmetic thing. If you look carefully, it’s a layer of “something”, held in place with the black pieces. Cosmetic would be a film or wrap, and would look better, IMO. Presumably it stiffens the ski, and essentially externally alters the layup’s performance.
Aha!
I think you’re right. Those little black things look just like the clips they used to have on the EDT-EVO system. So, likely it’s a carbon plate on top.
19F3CE08-F3B9-4B6A-931A-2900FB46FA8F.jpeg

5D45A0CE-644D-479D-8752-82F46ACDE6FF.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Oh god, we’ll have less choice from Fischer’s ridiculous design choices.
824438C4-9E2D-4718-B14B-D5400DA5E80B.jpeg

Last edited: