• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski MD tuning

James

Out There
Instructor
Is he still taking the bindings and bits and bobs off?
Just not doing that would increase production by 100%. But that might be impossible with his current machine/technique.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I can at least understand the hype if one is a racer. Recreational skiers? :huh:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Given the failure rate of regular shops, it’s worth it.

Have to agree with you on that. It's not most shop can't do a decent job. It's that they DGAF. At least the more experienced people don't care and the ones that get assigned to the tuning have no clue.

If I don't know the shop, I asked for a flat grind with some structure. I'll do the base bevel and side edge by hand. It isn't that difficult.

On top of it all, can the skiers really tell? That question applies to both "racers" and rec skiers.

James

Out There
Instructor
On top of it all, can the skiers really tell? That question applies to both "racers" and rec skiers.
Well we’re back to this ridiculous question.
I’ve had skis so bad they’re unskiable.
Can they tell? Prob not, but they can’t ski.

It’s not abount the nth degree, it’s about getting a basic decent base. Despite posts by people from Wintersteiger, the situation is a disaster with these machines output.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve had skis so bad they’re unskiable.

Been there, done that. When confronted with the bad tune. The shop workers generally get very indignant.

Can they tell? Prob not, but they can’t ski.

Must be summer. You are grumpy than I.

It’s not abount the nth degree, it’s about getting a basic decent base. Despite posts by people from Wintersteiger, the situation is a disaster with these machines output.

To err is human. To royally F things up, you need a computerized machine. :nono:

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can’t tell between a good tune and great tune. But I can tell the difference between a good tune and a bad tune. Especially it’s a pair of skis I use regularly.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just not doing that would increase production by 100%. But that might be impossible with his current machine/technique.

Yes, until he gets the new machine next year.

Given the failure rate of regular shops, it’s worth it.

I brought my Laser AX to Mike, the ones that had a base grind done by another shop right before the Aspen Gathering trip. He put the flat bar on the base and held them up to the light. I could see the light shining through a clearly concave base. This is the same shop that was supposed to mount and set the bindings but when I picked them up they were still set to the lowest setting. SkiMD is the only place I trust that's not up at a ski area. He's fixing the hack job the other shop did and putting a 1/3 degree bevel set on the AX's.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
He's far more experienced, while I'm not keen with it, (it feels like excess wear and tear on a something that isn't really designed for duty cycles) I accept it as part of his process.

Reactions: NE1

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A botched base grind certainly isn’t going to help, even if someone doesn’t know any better. A decent tuneup actually might help them at least avoid a big injury, or crashing into and injuring us (a common subject).

Sponsor