• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski mountaineering at 2026 Olympics

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
The IOC has added Ski Mountaineering events 2 men's events, 2 women's events, 1 mixed event) to the 2026 Milan & Cortina Winter Olympics.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ahhh. Skimo racing has butchered the phrase "ski mountaineering." I am not sure how you convey "skimo" internationally, but when I first read the headline, I was like, "Whaaaa?? Competitively racing up technical peaks with crampons, ice axes, and ropes???" :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, not excited. Skimo appears to be lame because of the extreme lightness of the gear. It’s too uphill focused. Is thea mountaineering part?
They look like baby giraffes on ice skates skiing down.
I mean if you skimo’d something like the Bec des Rosses where they have the FWT finals I’d be impressed.

I’d actually be more into bringing ballet back which was in the ‘92 games. Or a combo event of moguls, air, ballet. Which is what they used to do. We’d have to change the moguls to make it less speed focused though, i.e. boring.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The IOC has added Ski Mountaineering events 2 men's events, 2 women's events, 1 mixed event) to the 2026 Milan & Cortina Winter Olympics.

So, can anyone explain the athlete quotas created by this? Is, frex, Italy, going to lose alpine skiers from their quota by sending a strong skimo squad?

Sponsor