• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski pants

Flyinace1

Booting up
Skier
So I bought a couple pairs of ski pants to try on and I was quite surprised by some very simple issues in these $300 ski pants. Problems that my cheap, old zipzone pants don't have and I didn't think should even be a consideration.

First is the Helly Hansen Garibaldi 2.0. The hip pockets are tiny! I can't fit my hand even most of the way in, nor will my phone fit in an up and down orientation. The thigh pocket has more room, but the zipper opening is too small. My hand could squeeze in...without a glove on.

Second is the Outdoor Research Ascentshell. The thigh pockets are on the front of the leg instead of the side and extend over the knee. Don't put anything hard in those pockets or it'll be bouncing against your knee everytime you move. (I use OR pants when climbing and was definitely expecting better). Also, the black isn't black, it's gray. Obviously, not a big deal unless one requires black pants.

Is this normal for ski pants in this range? Are pockets just an afterthought and not really meant to be used? They seem almost like decoration rather than useful.

afadeev

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Is this normal for ski pants in this range? Are pockets just an afterthought and not really meant to be used? They seem almost like decoration rather than useful.
I've run into a lot of weird pocket arrangements with European brands (HH), and oversized thigh pockets (OR) are a thing with younger audiences these days.
I had picked up Patagonia Powder Town Pants this winter, and they suffer from none of the above deficiencies. Also waterproof, breathable, and soft to touch fabric.

HTH,
a

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
So I bought a couple pairs of ski pants to try on and I was quite surprised by some very simple issues in these $300 ski pants. Problems that my cheap, old zipzone pants don't have and I didn't think should even be a consideration.

First is the Helly Hansen Garibaldi 2.0. The hip pockets are tiny! I can't fit my hand even most of the way in, nor will my phone fit in an up and down orientation. The thigh pocket has more room, but the zipper opening is too small. My hand could squeeze in...without a glove on.

Second is the Outdoor Research Ascentshell. The thigh pockets are on the front of the leg instead of the side and extend over the knee. Don't put anything hard in those pockets or it'll be bouncing against your knee everytime you move. (I use OR pants when climbing and was definitely expecting better). Also, the black isn't black, it's gray. Obviously, not a big deal unless one requires black pants.

One of our members is involved in the Ski Fashion Industry so I will add @Analisa to the thread for the best answer.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Patagonia has a uniform pant for instructors and patrollers that is quite nice. I have never seen it in their catalog offerings. Maybe call CS.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have some kind of Mamut gore-tex clone shell pants -- Stoney, I think -- that have great packets. Two hip and one thigh.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of Patagonia insulated pants without those issues (though a hip pocket zipper has an issue), and Stio ski pants, which I prefer, really nice pocket size and placement, as well as fit overall (for myself at least).

Uncle-A

Skier
If you want large pockets try pants for Snowboarding they seem to have many large pockets. I have one pair and they are fine for skiing.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I have Eddie Bauer ski pants I like, but need to replace next season. I hope I can get the same ones. Two hip pockets that are pretty deep. A thigh pocket that is perfect for handkerchiefs - easy to reach on the chair. Two useless butt packets they could get rid of. Side zips, waist adjustments. Reinforced cuffs and ankle area.

Uncle-A

Skier
I have Eddie Bauer ski pants I like, but need to replace next season. I hope I can get the same ones. Two hip pockets that are pretty deep. A thigh pocket that is perfect for handkerchiefs - easy to reach on the chair. Two useless butt packets they could get rid of. Side zips, waist adjustments. Reinforced cuffs and ankle area.
I have a pair of Eddie Bauer shell pants that are very good. Mine are black but I am not much on fashion, although a cool color is probably available.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wear bibs... usually from a snowboarding manufacturer, since their bibs tend to be less expensive (usually more expensive than the pants counterpart).

One of these years, I'll dish out the money for Gore-tex

Never had issues with pockets and placement.

For wallet, I usually downsize to a binder clip that contains my license, a credit card, and about $40 cash

James

Out There
Instructor

It’s bizarre, and I don’t get it. I looked at the Helly Hansens and can’t understand why you put pockets on a thigh. It doesn’t work. Some of their bib pockets looked bizarre too in their pocket placement. Like you’ve got endless real estate for pockets, and you throw some on the thigh?

I have some kind of Mamut gore-tex clone shell pants -- Stoney, I think -- that have great packets. Two hip and one thigh.
I have those Mammut Stoney pants too. Pockets are decent. Suspenders were stupid, replaced with aftermarket clip ons.
I don’t get that either.
I have another pair of Mammuts (good pockets, and a back pocket!) where the suspenders were nearly worthless. They had this ridiculous complicated adjusting mechanism that didn’t hold well. Then the material was too soft, and just stretched out.
The cheap North Face suspenders that adjust with velcro were vastly superior in their material and function.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Like you’ve got endless real estate for pockets, and you throw some on the thigh?
Like I said, I love it on the thigh for reachability. I wouldn't put a phone or a camera battery there, but a hanky? I can get to it without elbowing people on the chair. I also like it on a jacket cuff, but not every jacket has that.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s bizarre, and I don’t get it. I looked at the Helly Hansens and can’t understand why you put pockets on a thigh. It doesn’t work. Some of their bib pockets looked bizarre too in their pocket placement. Like you’ve got endless real estate for pockets, and you throw some on the thigh?

I have those Mammut Stoney pants too. Pockets are decent. Suspenders were stupid, replaced with aftermarket clip ons.
I don’t get that either.
I have another pair of Mammuts (good pockets, and a back pocket!) where the suspenders were nearly worthless. They had this ridiculous complicated adjusting mechanism that didn’t hold well. Then the material was too soft, and just stretched out.
The cheap North Face suspenders that adjust with velcro were vastly superior in their material and function.
First thing to go for almost all of my bibs are the suspenders - weak ass skinny elastic. Replaced with beefy clip-on Arcade suspenders - no looking back.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Same. Mrs. K cuts off the back clips of Carhartt suspenders, sews them on, and leaves the front clips. Nice and beefy so they only need a little tension.

I have another pair of Mammuts (good pockets, and a back pocket!)

I wish the Stoney's had a back pocket, but after a year, I've quit missing it.

TS
F

Flyinace1

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all the recommendations.

I honestly was just bewildered by the weirdly shaped pockets and placement. I do like thigh pockets, but not on top of the knee. Any pockets should be usable and not something that I have to think about when buying pants, especially not at the prices that most of these snow pants cost. I got 2 pairs to compare fit not pocket size/placement.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
The thigh pockets are on the front of the leg instead of the side
Recently had a look at Helly Hansen Inifinity Ridge - same, right on the thigh. Seems it might be a thing with shells - their insulated stuff has normal hip pockets. Anyone know why?

TS
F

Flyinace1

Booting up
Skier
Recently had a look at Helly Hansen Inifinity Ridge - same, right on the thigh. Seems it might be a thing with shells - their insulated stuff has normal hip pockets. Anyone know why?
Are you saying your pants have thigh pockets with no hip pockets? That's weird. I'm curious why as well.

I like the extra storage of multiple pockets and usually keep my phone in the lower thigh pocket that is on the side of the leg of many pants. But having those pockets on the front of the leg, over the knee is a terrible spot to keep anything hard since it'll be bouncing off the knee constantly.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are you saying your pants have thigh pockets with no hip pockets? That's weird. I'm curious why as well.

I like the extra storage of multiple pockets and usually keep my phone in the lower thigh pocket that is on the side of the leg of many pants. But having those pockets on the front of the leg, over the knee is a terrible spot to keep anything hard since it'll be bouncing off the knee constantly.
Just some I saw, but yeah, on the front of the lower thigh. One of the pockets doesn't have a zip, it's just velcro.

Sponsor