• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski pants

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone here sporting race style clothing in terms of pants? I mean shorts with lycra tights (or whatever they call it)?

Like this guy here:

Perhaps it makes very little sense if you are not using shin guards but I kinda dig the style. Plus-super easy to adjust the buckles and power strap.
I spent the entire season with the legs of my Powslayer bibs rolled above the boots so I am thinking-what‘s the point of wearing long legs bibs if I don‘t use/need the length.

James

Out There
Instructor
Picked up a pair of these Strafe Pants on sale.
228EB29F-F224-45B3-8746-74651C226751.jpeg

Two hip pockets, one leg, and a back pocket.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What do people actually put in their back pockets that you can comfortably sit on? A handkerchief is all I got.
During 20-21 season I put in a folded "surgical" mask, fin case it was needed in the lodge, otherwise back pockets have always been empty.
I think women's pants have them for the look. I don't want to over generalize, but I think women typically don't use back pockets much, but we are likely to use thigh pockets . . . at least, I do.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I use the front pocket just above the knee for a handkerchief, chapstick, and eyedrops... stuff I want easy access to on the lift.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Recently had a look at Helly Hansen Inifinity Ridge - same, right on the thigh. Seems it might be a thing with shells - their insulated stuff has normal hip pockets. Anyone know why?

Ski touring. Electronics like a phone or radio can interfere with beacon signals, so they need to be kept 20cm apart. If a skier’s wearing a beacon in a chest harness, their jacket pocket & hip pockets are too close, so a thigh pocket adds adequate space. Some brands also put a reinforced pocket with an anchor loop in the thigh pocket so skiers don’t have to layer over a chest harness and carry other electronics in their jacket.

Harness compatibility can also drive some pocket placement for very “skimo” pants. In order to make those pockets usable if you’re on glacier terrain or rappelling into a line is to make the pocket zip below the leg loops.

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
Those Strafe pants look good.. and suspenders too, huzzah.
thinking about the Summit 2L in what looks like a rather nifty black camo...
110112_BlackCamo_G_F_2000x.jpg

Some snazzy ladies ski suits too... even the men's if you can pull it off - i mean look at this thing

110102_MsSickbirdSuit_Dune_M_S2_2000x.jpg

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some brands also put a reinforced pocket with an anchor loop in the thigh pocket so skiers don’t have to layer over a chest harness and carry other electronics in their jacket.
Exactly what these had. Thought they must be doing it for a reason, thanks.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use front of leg pockets on my Mammut pants with two hip and two leg pockets. I keep my phone in one (no knee banging) and credit card and ID in the other. (Dont have to drag a jacket to the line in the cafeteria). I like leg pockets because they don't interfere with bending your leg. Can't put much more than a key fob or chapstick in a front pocket on the hip crease without it getting in the way when sitting or skiing.

My favorite pants are Norrona Svalbard pants. Sadly not made anymore. They have 5 pockets. Two hip, two front leg and a very convenient vertically zippered back pocket. When I wear those, the ID etc. goes in the back. Then I can put emergency hand welarmers in the other front leg pocket. They are made of a really nice soft stretchy fabric. Waterproof breatheable and warm despite no insulation.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve numerous styles of Spyder pants and a couple bibs and have been happy with all of them and their pockets. My son and I both have the coaches bibs and they are what we choose most often.

James

Out There
Instructor
Those Strafe pants look good.. and suspenders too, huzzah.
Update on the Strafe Capitol Pant since I actually went skiing in them.
First the pockets. (Edit: that’s as far as I got. Things got a bit out of hand…)

The two “hip pockets”, are basically leg pockets that start at the hip. One has an interior smaller “pocket” supposedly for a beacon. I tested it with two beacons (though not while wearing, but I don’t see an issue with that.

The Mammut Barryvox S - fits, but just. The top actually sticks up a little. Mostly because of it’s mildly large shape. But it’ll zip closed inside no problem.
Ortovox S3+ (older model) - slides right in, all the way.
Now, would you want to keep them in there? That’s beyond my level. There is a fabric clip to sewn in for the beacon’s lead. However, the fabric in there is somewhat light stretchy stuff. If the outer shell holds in the fracas of an avalanche, it’ll be fine, but otherwise, doubtful. But this issue wouldn’t be limited to just these pants.

These two hip pockets were apparently designed after all those deep mine shafts that litter the Aspen mountains. (Strafe is an Aspen brand) They don’t go down to the knee, but a few inches above.

How big are they? Fairly cavernous. I got three 1/2 liter water bottles in there. You’re probably better off with two than just one because it’ll rotate. I actually put the pants on to test this, because I couldn’t believe it. Yes, they fit. I had three in one and two in the other. (Poland Spring) Could I ski like that? Probably. Moguls? As long as you don’t have a really deep absorption, though the fabric does stretch.

I’d feel pretty good about having to ski with two bottles in each pocket. It’s not exactly desireable, but prob not that bad if you had to take one for the team.

So… if you really had to, you could put six 1/2 liter Poland Spring water bottles, and make it downhill somewhere. That’s 3000gms/3kgs/6.6lbs of water in your pants pockets! Chrissie Hynde might even write a song about it.

Just to push the ridiculous, I decided to go even further with this. Could I fit a half gallon of milk in that pocket?? While wearing the pants. I didn’t have an empty milk container, but I had an empty apple cider one. 1/2gal/2qts/64ozs:1.89liters. Four pounds.

You know those Boa Constrictors that swallow baby deer in Florida? That’s these pockets. Lest you think I’m just being hyperbolic, I documented it:

0475353C-69E0-48E6-A72A-02758A019803.jpeg

The test container.

65E1A1F1-BE9A-400A-B27C-AC157050A945.jpeg

Open up! You think no way, just like the deer starting to go in the boa.

4C8DED59-0E65-4DB9-8F5E-FFCCFBFB13C8.jpeg

All in and zipped up!

Could I ski like that? Depends, how flat is the trail? Definitely green terrain, as long as there’s not much knee bend.

Will the half gallon fit with the avy beacon in there? Can the boa swallow the deer and a dog at the same time?? There’s limits. However, these pockets outdo the boa in that you could put the milk in the left pocket, and the beacon in the right. (I did not test this, but assume the pockets are equal size)

Ok, ok, you say I don’t need milk, I need eggs! Noooo…

Well, why not. Let’s see if a carton of eggs will fit in!

6B7CED3C-9A14-49EA-9CD2-9B1EB9316C6D.jpeg

The test subject. Note: no eggs were harmed in this experiment. I took them out. Though I may fry a couple up to have with a homemade bagel.

B3F48DBC-53C4-4C22-A2DD-6704D779C425.jpeg

Starting to go in…will it make it??

0EB098BA-6EA2-425F-B7D4-552C80F98355.jpeg

Yep, just makes it.

Could I ski like this? Oof. You cant bend the leg much I do feel I could develop some sort of non bended knee telemark turn with a pretty straight right leg and do it. You can pull the leg back, if straight.

Again, spend the extra money at the mid mountain market, and buy two half dozen cartons. Put one in each pocket, that’s likely much easier.

Now, off to apply for a grant to continue this research, because it’s so time consuming. Though I should just get on youtube and make the big bucks.

Note: if you do attempt these experiments, be careful starting the zipper when closing. The start is at odd angles, but will work just fine if you’re careful. It’s a nice zipper…no one told it a carton of eggs or a half gallon container would be going in the pocket.

Note 2: Due to the massive interest in testing other items, I can no longer accept mail ins. I will gladly accept gold bricks, but don’t plan on getting it back, nor will you receive a cash equivalent. I can offer a certificate of appreciation though. (Not valid for tax purposes).

I am also accepting stacks of $20-$100 bills. Perhaps $10’s. No $5’s or $1’s… Well maybe, but that’ll cost extra, and the same rules apply, no returns/no receipts.

Last edited:
TS
F

Flyinace1

Booting up
Skier
Update on the Strafe Capitol Pant since I actually went skiing in them.
First the pockets. (Edit: that’s as far as I got. Things got a bit out of hand…)

The two “hip pockets”, are basically leg pockets that start at the hip. One has an interior smaller “pocket” supposedly for a beacon. I tested it with two beacons (though not while wearing, but I don’t see an issue with that.

The Mammut Barryvox S - fits, but just. The top actually sticks up a little. Mostly because of it’s mildly large shape. But it’ll zip closed inside no problem.
Ortovox S3+ (older model) - slides right in, all the way.
Now, would you want to keep them in there? That’s beyond my level. There is a fabric clip to sewn in for the beacon’s lead. However, the fabric in there is somewhat light stretchy stuff. If the outer shell holds in the fracas of an avalanche, it’ll be fine, but otherwise, doubtful. But this issue wouldn’t be limited to just these pants.

These two hip pockets were apparently designed after all those deep mine shafts that litter the Aspen mountains. (Strafe is an Aspen brand) They don’t go down to the knee, but a few inches above.

How big are they? Fairly cavernous. I got three 1/2 liter water bottles in there. You’re probably better off with two than just one because it’ll rotate. I actually put the pants on to test this, because I couldn’t believe it. Yes, they fit. I had three in one and two in the other. (Poland Spring) Could I ski like that? Probably. Moguls? As long as you don’t have a really deep absorption, though the fabric does stretch.

I’d feel pretty good about having to ski with two bottles in each pocket. It’s not exactly desireable, but prob not that bad if you had to take one for the team.

So… if you really had to, you could put six 1/2 liter Poland Spring water bottles, and make it downhill somewhere. That’s 3000gms/3kgs/6.6lbs of water in your pants pockets! Chrissie Hynde might even write a song about it.

Just to push the ridiculous, I decided to go even further with this. Could I fit a half gallon of milk in that pocket?? While wearing the pants. I didn’t have an empty milk container, but I had an empty apple cider one. 1/2gal/2qts/64ozs:1.89liters. Four pounds.

You know those Boa Constrictors that swallow baby deer in Florida? That’s these pockets. Lest you think I’m just being hyperbolic, I documented it:

View attachment 200833
The test container.

View attachment 200831
Open up! You think no way, just like the deer starting to go in the boa.

View attachment 200832
All in and zipped up!

Could I ski like that? Depends, how flat is the trail? Definitely green terrain, as long as there’s not much knee bend.

Will the half gallon fit with the avy beacon in there? Can the boa swallow the deer and a dog at the same time?? There’s limits. However, these pockets outdo the boa in that you could put the milk in the left pocket, and the beacon in the right. (I did not test this, but assume the pockets are equal size)

Ok, ok, you say I don’t need milk, I need eggs! Noooo…

Well, why not. Let’s see if a carton of eggs will fit in!

View attachment 200852
The test subject. Note: no eggs were harmed in this experiment. I took them out. Though I may fry a couple up to have with a homemade bagel.

View attachment 200853
Starting to go in…will it make it??

View attachment 200854
Yep, just makes it.

Could I ski like this? Oof. You cant bend the leg much I do feel I could develop some sort of non bended knee telemark turn with a pretty straight right leg and do it. You can pull the leg back, if straight.

Again, spend the extra money at the mid mountain market, and buy two half dozen cartons. Put one in each pocket, that’s likely much easier.

Now, off to apply for a grant to continue this research, because it’s so time consuming. Though I should just get on youtube and make the big bucks.

Note: if you do attempt these experiments, be careful starting the zipper when closing. The start is at odd angles, but will work just fine if you’re careful. It’s a nice zipper…no one told it a carton of eggs or a half gallon container would be going in the pocket.

Note 2: Due to the massive interest in testing other items, I can no longer accept mail ins. I will gladly accept gold bricks, but don’t plan on getting it back, nor will you receive a cash equivalent. I can offer a certificate of appreciation though. (Not valid for tax purposes).

I am also accepting stacks of $20-$100 bills. Perhaps $10’s. No $5’s or $1’s… Well maybe, but that’ll cost extra, and the same rules apply, no returns/no receipts.
Wow, those pockets are the exact opposite of the ones in the Helly Hansen Garibaldi 2.0 pants. I think you'd be lucky to fit a single egg in that pant.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What do people actually put in their back pockets that you can comfortably sit on? A handkerchief is all I got.

Some cash money or a CC, depending on circumstances.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was talk to never put anything of instant cash value on your back pocket, even with zippers. Too easy to lift.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Been looking at trouserpants for the first time in a few years - insulated, piste-oriented stuff, so tranceivers and what have you don't come into it. Almost everything I see has hip pockets with the zipper at 45 degrees rather than at the side of the leg. With my older stuff, a phone goes in the side pocket, stays at the side of the top of the thigh and is out of the way. With the new ones, it's more round the front and gets in the way when you flex that leg. On one pair I tried, the pocket was so far round the front, the phone ended up hitting me in the knackers. Is this just an aesthetic thing, or am I overlooking a good reason for this design?

The sort of position I'm talking about:

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
Picked up a pair of these Strafe Pants on sale.
View attachment 200571
Two hip pockets, one leg, and a back pocket.
Strafe's are awesome. Wife and I each have two pairs. Actually I have 3!)). Need to sell that pair. Never worn.

Sponsor

Staff online