• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Patrol Membership Way Down At Ski Areas?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
“It’s a calling.”

Agree. Also, my "wave" of Juniors had several really cute girls!

It's been 45 years since I was a Junior NSPS and I still stop if I see a bad fall, or even somebody struggling to get back into a ski.

As far as pay goes, not sure on that. In my day, our little spit pot midwest area never made a dime of profit, so I was pretty happy with pro forms, and the occasional party funded by the area.

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
I do feel a little guilty, taking a job from a paid patroller. However, when I consider that I patrol at a city-run hill, and the cost of skiing at that hill compared to skiing at resorts makes skiing affordable to more families, I feel better.
In France (and all of Europe I think) there is no such thing as volunteer ski patrol as its a job that needs qualifications. The way the small town run ski hill I worked for last winter got round the problem is, I was officially employed as the Patroller, but I ran a lift and fixed all the lifts when they broke....oh and 5 times in the season I had broken (a bit) people to go rescue.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
In France (and all of Europe I think) there is no such thing as volunteer ski patrol as its a job that needs qualifications. The way the small town run ski hill I worked for last winter got round the problem is, I was officially employed as the Patroller, but I ran a lift and fixed all the lifts when they broke....oh and 5 times in the season I had broken (a bit) people to go rescue.
I can assure you Canadian Ski Patrollers are Qualified, and have extensive training. Some are paid. Some volunteer.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So I was at the local bump Friday, parking lots full, as near as I could tell, there was one patroller on the hill... Had to be 5k people there...

Chris Axebiker

Recovering Meadowskipper
Skier
At both the ski areas that I volunteer at, we are now down to approximately 30 members at each one, compared to having 60-70 patrollers at each one. A majority of the patrollers are ages 50-70 (and up) years old and many of those remaining, will be retiring from patrol in less than 5 years. It feels very strange to once see huge numbers of ski patrollers at the beginning of each winter season standing for an annual group photo, but now we all look at each other and say; "where is everyone?". It's sad :-(

Anyone else experiencing this with their ski patrol?
I patrolled for 14 years in MN for a couple different patrols. The vast majority of patrollers in the midwest are volunteers in my experience. I made many lifelong friends and thoroughly enjoyed it for the first decade or so.

I "retired" this season for a few reasons:
1. I was bored with it.
2. I feel like pulling a shift a week, and a weekend refresher did not keep my skills sharp. I understand why more areas are only doing Pro Patrol, and moving away from NSP and volunteers, as the public becomes more and more litigious and judgmental, and tend to have less and less respect for the organization as a whole.
3. National Ski Patrol as an organization is an utter MESS. The NSP Board was deaf and blind to everything going on until it was too late, and then went after an all-too-convenient scapegoat - old white men. "Virtue signaling" became the focus. Politics became rampant. I find both repugnant.
4. Ironically, National dues nearly doubled after the consultants had been hired to tell us what we could see plainly - that the patrol was predominantly older white men (they needed consultants to tell us that??), the leadership purged, and the new direction announced. No thanks. I never had an issue with anyone I patrolled with - regardless of age, color, sex, or sexual orientation, etc, other than the people that were there with the intention of it being a way to ski for free, and giving little to no effort in the actual job. You HAVE TO want to be there if you're volunteering!! I also never had issues with any patients regardless of age, color, sex, or sexual orientation. They were all treated the same by me - and my only interest was making them as comfortable as possible, preventing further injury, and getting them off the hill for additional care if necessary. That was it.
5. Child birthing modules in 3 of the last 4 refreshers - really? I can promise you this - the first call made for someone going into labor will be to their OB/GYN, and the next will probably be 911. They aren't going to sit around while Crusty Old White Guy Patroller pulls on his gloves, grabs his cheaters, and says, "I'll have a look - let me help!!" Lol... Never had it happen, nor spoken to someone who did.

Rather than tending to the injured and broken bodies on the hill, NSP decided that all the other things were more important, and consequently became our focus. My first aid skills were suffering, disillusionment grew, and just decided that it wasn't worth it anymore. It's pretty sad, because I know a lot of people that hung it up the last couple years, and for may of the same reasons I mentioned above - and they weren't just old white dudes...

Basically, I think it's probably time to pay EMTs or paramedics as staffed pro patrollers at this point. When you have broken leadership, splintered membership, and a broken compass, it might be time to say that it's beyond repair, and not what the public wants to have anymore. The only way I'd come back would be for pay, and that isn't going to happen. I don't think that the current "work climate" helps either - people don't want to work to earn money these days, so why would they give their time for free?

Last edited:

Joshua S

Putting on skis
Skier
I do agree with "pais alto" that Patrol is a calling.

There are still many smaller, non-commercial ski areas that cater to families where no one is making money and they run on volunteers in all departments.

The problem is the mega-corporations, who are making great profits and don't share them with their volunteers. Calling or not, if we volunteer for Vail, Alterra, Powdr, Boyne, etc., we're probably selling ourselves short - calling or not. Most clergy consider themselves to be called, but they are paid for their work.

Chris Axebiker

Recovering Meadowskipper
Skier
It is a calling indeed. It's a lot of work, commitment, and money for zero financial return, but that's okay. I didn't do it for the accolades & glory. They call those people "instructors"... ;) I kid... To me, patrolling was similar to my days in the Army in terms of the tightness and camaraderie I had in my days in the dirt. The calling got quieter as the noise of political posturing got louder. I don't have time for it. I ski to get away from the BS of the day-to-day, but suddenly...there it was. "Retiring" is probably the best thing I've done though - I have begun to find the love for skiing again, and have gotten in touch with the reasons I started doing it in the first place.

Joshua S

Putting on skis
Skier
I'd volunteer for ski patrol if only they had positions that did not require extensive medical training. I hate all things medical care. But ski patrol is so much more than medical. I just wish they would separate the jobs so that the medical people could do X and the others could do Y.

Y jobs: Roping, padding, sweeping, avy, lift evac, driving the sled, moving equipment around, communications center, snowmobile , crowd control, safety training, etc. etc, etc.

X jobs: Touching patients, coordinating with doctors
I think the NSP membership solidly rejected that when the membership voted NOT to allow Bike Patrol to be full members, even though many Ski Patrollers are also Bike Patrollers.

The 2-sine qua nons:
- Skiing and everything associated therewith ergo: Bike Patrollers are out
- Ability to treat and package an accident scene to safely transfer care to BLS or ALS, ergo splitting skiing skills to the exclusion of medical skills is likely a non-starter. Go with X and Y? The second accident becomes a mass casualty situation.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
I can assure you Canadian Ski Patrollers are Qualified, and have extensive training. Some are paid. Some volunteer.
.The CSP (Canadian Ski Patrol) is standardized across the country with over 4500 members. The rookies face 64 hrs of in class along with online study to get there AFA first aid cert. Along with testing scenarios and written tests. Covering a wide range of first aid and medical problems along with packaging. After they complete this they do the On snow portion. This involves a ski test and if they pass they need toboggan handling, scene assessment and different skiing skills about four days worth. Then they most patrol with a senior patroller for there first season. After that everybody needs to renew there firstaid/CPR certs every year and onsnow every three years. Everybody in the CSP in our zone is volunteer. A few cross over and work for the hill and then come back when they no longer work for the hill. Most keep up there CSP certs. It is a lot of work and that scares a few off.If you want more you can become a instructor and really add to the work load.

Chris Axebiker

Recovering Meadowskipper
Skier
.The CSP (Canadian Ski Patrol) is standardized across the country with over 4500 members. The rookies face 64 hrs of in class along with online study to get there AFA first aid cert. Along with testing scenarios and written tests. Covering a wide range of first aid and medical problems along with packaging. After they complete this they do the On snow portion. This involves a ski test and if they pass they need toboggan handling, scene assessment and different skiing skills about four days worth. Then they most patrol with a senior patroller for there first season. After that everybody needs to renew there firstaid/CPR certs every year and onsnow every three years. Everybody in the CSP in our zone is volunteer. A few cross over and work for the hill and then come back when they no longer work for the hill. Most keep up there CSP certs. It is a lot of work and that scares a few off.If you want more you can become a instructor and really add to the work load.
Sounds a lot like NSP vollies...

ArizonaSkiPatroller

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'd volunteer for ski patrol if only they had positions that did not require extensive medical training. I hate all things medical care. But ski patrol is so much more than medical. I just wish they would separate the jobs so that the medical people could do X and the others could do Y.

Y jobs: Roping, padding, sweeping, avy, lift evac, driving the sled, moving equipment around, communications center, snowmobile , crowd control, safety training, etc. etc, etc.

X jobs: Touching patients, coordinating with doctors
As an active Nurse - I don’t have a problem with the medical stuff at all because after being in it for over 50 years - it’s all “second nature/muscle memory” now….

twa2w

Putting on skis
Skier
.The CSP (Canadian Ski Patrol) is standardized across the country with over 4500 members. The rookies face 64 hrs of in class along with online study to get there AFA first aid cert. Along with testing scenarios and written tests. Covering a wide range of first aid and medical ...
The vollie Cdn Patroller course is basically an advanced first aid course with a heavier emphasis on fractures and slings. Nothing special in terms of training.
When I took the course, the manual had a number of factual errors. I wrote to the CSP outlining the mistakes. No response. And in the next 3 years of re-certs, none of the errors were fixed. I left the patrol a few years ago so can't comment if the errors have since been fixed.
Frankly the vollie patrol was generally an old boys club. A contingent of older longer time patrollers with big egos who basically hid in the shacks most of the day and gossiped. And a younger group that was there to pad their resume to get into firefighting or paramedic courses. They turned over quickly, usually only a year or maybe two.
Ever year there was a big recruitment drive to try to boost numbers. Some years with good results but numbers continue to dwindle.
To me it was not worth the time. Leave the house at 5:30 or earlier depending on weather, to be boots on ready, by 7:45, to get daily assignments. Then dragging drunks off the hill until 5:00, then sweeps. Boots off at about 5:30 or so then the two hour drive home. All that for a lift ticket and a 15.00 lunch voucher. No thanks

Sponsor

Staff online