• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Carolinacub

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
So far a lot of good responses. You all are giving me a lot to think about. What I keep hearing is a strong flat tail and easy to carve. I honestly could care less about being able to off piste since that's not something we ever do here. Keep those cards and letters coming folks.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
To semi hijack the thread a bit. What kind of boots do y'all normally patrol in. Seemed like last year there were a number of days I spent more time walking around then skiing. I was planning on getting an ATish boot for touring this year anyway but am considering making it my patrol boot as well.
I have the Solamon Quest 100. I find when I put it in walk mode, I usually forget to put it in ski mode. Switching to the Atomic Ultras this year. They are light.

TS
Carolinacub

Carolinacub

Skier
To semi hijack the thread a bit. What kind of boots do y'all normally patrol in. Seemed like last year there were a number of days I spent more time walking around then skiing. I was planning on getting an ATish boot for touring this year anyway but am considering making it my patrol boot as well.
As I said I'm on the Solomon x90's but I have looked at the Apex system for a patrol boot, our terrain isn't real demanding and the walk around aspect of them is very intriguing. If I find a super duper deal on them I may try them out sometime in the future.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If I find a super duper deal on them I may try them out sometime in the future.

Don't forget they tend to be bigger than conventional shell boots for the same internal size. Make sure your binding has the adjustment room so you can go back at low cost if they don't pan out.

How do you feel about cabrio boots?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
So far a lot of good responses. You all are giving me a lot to think about. What I keep hearing is a strong flat tail and easy to carve. I honestly could care less about being able to off piste since that's not something we ever do here. Keep those cards and letters coming folks.

On piste always? No brainer, Titan or Rally all the way. They initiate at low speeds, you can smear them, yet they hold like rabid pit bull at speed on hardpack and ice. I can help teach newbies how to plow and turn on my Titans, then turn around and link perfect high speed turns on ice without skipping a beat.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
On piste always? No brainer, Titan or Rally all the way. They initiate at low speeds, you can smear them, yet they hold like rabid pit bull at speed on hardpack and ice. I can help teach newbies how to plow and turn on my Titans, then turn around and link perfect high speed turns on ice without skipping a beat.

I had complete trust in my Rally's after the first day. I ski in ice/hard pack most of the time and my god do these things grip in. I'm going to teach in them too. These skis are quickly becoming my daily driver. I'm a fan of the titan also. The next few days are getting way below freezing at night and staying below freezing during the day and no new snow in sight, guess what I'm taking out :)

TS
Carolinacub

Carolinacub

Skier
ogsmile
Don't forget they tend to be bigger than conventional shell boots for the same internal size. Make sure your binding has the adjustment room so you can go back at low cost if they don't pan out.

How do you feel about cabrio boots?
Don't know anything about Cabrio boots, enlighten me....

Never mind.....Gotta love the magic information box on the desk. Looked it up.

Last edited:

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
Same here. I think any good quality all-round or all-mountain skis will be fine. Others types (e.g., super stiff race skis, reverse chamber powder skis) may be not idea, but probably will do the work too in 95% of the situation.

In the end, I feel probably choosing the skis you really like to ski on is the best option, since you will be skiing on them for a long time. But there is a twist. It is very likely you would abuse your skis when patrolling. So if it is a pair of skis that you treasures a lot, and cost considerably, maybe it is not a good idea to use it as your regular patrol skis.

We've got a pretty good mix of skis here too. It seems like the older guys tend to be on the more traditional groomer/front side skis and the young guys are playing with the twin tip and park stuff. and then of course we have those weird guys who snowboard.;)

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI , right now I'm on 2012 Head iPeak 80's. They seem to do pretty much what I want but to be honest these are my first pair of modern ski's so I really don't have much to judge them against. The last pair of ski's I bought before these was 1981 THE Ski's

Do you still have your THE SKI?

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You need a quiver. One horrifically icy day I decided to patrol on slalom skis. I ended up hauling a 300 pounder down a steep run with no tail roper. Right ski for the day.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I keep 3 different pairs of skis in the Patrol bay and choose the skis for the day depending on snow conditions. I also take into account what rotation I am assigned and what area of the mountain I will be working. Nothing beats a quiver for work!

TS
Carolinacub

Carolinacub

Skier
I keep 3 different pairs of skis in the Patrol bay and choose the skis for the day depending on snow conditions. I also take into account what rotation I am assigned and what area of the mountain I will be working. Nothing beats a quiver for work!
Trust me when I say I understand having a quiver in the locker. But...Here in the deep Southeast conditions are not as variable as they are in other areas of the country. This is why I'm looking for that work ski that will handle 90% of our conditions comfortably. On those days where we have extraordinary conditions, well then either you tough it out with what you have or you pull something out of the closet.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
LOL, imagine Carolinacub was working with @mishka - the MR87 fits the envelope for durability and workhorse toughness for sure. Think wooden lobster boat in a world of cigarette boats and Sunfish...

lol
one need to be little Mad himself to work with me on his/hers very own Mad Russian skis.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
For Michigan hard pack & groomers I love my 177 Rally's from last year. I'm bigger than average and they are plenty stiff for what they do.

I was wondering why you mentioned the ones from last year vs this year?

It looks like the only difference from this year and last year is the minor graphic difference and the bindings went from PRX to PRD (which means more safety features and less ramp angle). Anyway, just curious because I'm looking at these skis for groomer days.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I was wondering why you mentioned the ones from last year vs this year?

It looks like the only difference from this year and last year is the minor graphic difference and the bindings went from PRX to PRD (which means more safety features and less ramp angle). Anyway, just curious because I'm looking at these skis for groomer days.

I think I was just saying I bought them at the end of last season and only had 6 or 7 days on them. The 16/17 were different than the previous year but are the same as this year. I've used them a few times this year and really like them on those hard pack days. If the snow is soft or fresh I prefer my 88's.

TS
Carolinacub

Carolinacub

Skier
Well, I think it's time to revisit this. I did pick up some Vockl RTM 84's and used them for a year or so. Wasn't a big fan, I always felt like they were trying to throw me into the backseat. I'm definitely ready to pull the trigger again but since I'm cheap (frugal) I'm going to go used.
Any new suggestions would be appreciated and of course if anyone has something laying around that would be a fit and the price is right let me know.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting looking at this thread again. :)

Really so many options. If the Renoun prototypes were still for sale, I would have pushed those. Usually, I'm now on Endurance 98, Elan 96, Liberty V76 and Motive 90s. The Motives are heavier but handle really well for me and since they are older, have no issue going into the woods if needed. Out patrol basically skis and pick up the injured. So it doesn't matter what we ski.

If you are riding the lifts a lot, probably would go towards lighter skis, plus they seem to be nicer on the knees too.

Sponsor