• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Most of the patrollers at Bromley have been on Head Rallys circa 2017 or 18. When asked why they tell me how well they handle ice/hard pack which is most of what we ski on. They are also super fun on groomers.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Reading how you found the RTM's I would recommend the Brahma. I have loved mine for several years now and I had around 20 ski days on RTM 84's before I got the Brahmas.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Going by how you described yourself in the original post, I would look for a used K2 Pinnacle 88 in a 177. Easy skiing ski that I think would work well for your intended use. I am 5'10" 190 and was skiing it in the 184 as a patrol ski. Just upgraded to a Mindbender 90Ti in a 177 for this season.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
It sounds like your conditions are similar to mine. Mostly on-piste groomed hard snow. Maybe my snow is harder; it gets colder here, and it's often difficult to stick a pole in it.
That being said, from what I recall of the rally, it's ok. So is the Magnum.
I love my Fischer WC SCs (165 cm 13-m side-cut radius) for skiing (and patrolling) in my conditions. If I were at a bigger hill, I might want something with a longer side-cut radius, like a longer length Fischer Curve.
You can have mine........when you pry them out of my cold dead hands.

TS
Carolinacub

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Well I scored a deal, One of our patrollers moved to the coast and has decided to pretty much leave skiing behind. I picked up his 2019 Head I Titans for.....$50.00.... yep you read that right $50.00...I think I did OK. Now it's time to see if I like them or not.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well I scored a deal, One of our patrollers moved to the coast and has decided to pretty much leave skiing behind. I picked up his 2019 Head I Titans for.....$50.00.... yep you read that right $50.00...I think I did OK. Now it's time to see if I like them or not.
Nice!
I picked up some ex patroller skis for $25. They were heavily used, but rarely sharpened.

TS
Carolinacub

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Nice!
I picked up some ex patroller skis for $25. They were heavily used, but rarely sharpened.
I ended up cleaning out his old locker and all that was there were the skis and some oral airways. Took a good look at them and they still had great structure and good edges. I think these were his dink around skis and not the ones he used much.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Functional twin tips are the bomb for Patrolling (do one late day sled run/rope run on a thin cover tree/ mogul run and you'll know why). Doesn't have to be a true twin either, but something with a round tail the you don't mind getting a little beat up is muy bueno. My favorites that I've used are: Dynastar Menace 98 (Slicer), Nordica Soul Rider 87 (and 97), and Icelantic Shaman (I have a classic 161 and limited edition 173). I bunch of our Patrollers have the J Skis master blasters and love 'em. I got plenty of other skis, too which I run when I'm in a Jacket but not truly on the clock, but for my assigned shifts (I'm the Friday night hill chief, pro a Tuesday, and work on Sundays) I use one of the above mentioned ski (or some similar facsimile).

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I enjoy skiing on functional twin tips but not for patrol work. I prefer flat tails for using them as anchors to secure toboggans and placing in the snow in a cross uphill of an accident. Twin tips also spray more snow on an injured quest when driving a toboggan.

Spam16v

Zac
Skier
Sick Day 95’s, Brahma’s & Line Blades here. Sick days have Dukes so I can skin & they’re a ton lighter than the Brahma’s.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
BUMP - wedged for ~600 vertical yesterday on park skis.

Holy crap was that a mistake. Even in relatively soft hero snow.

I mean low edge authority was predictable. What wasn't predictable is the hip lock and hip cramp as I fought it through.

Also, anyone else kinda wishing for an under-toe binding shim when wedging a sled?

Last edited:

Joshua S

Putting on skis
Skier
Like everything else, it depends on the conditions of the day. But for most eastern conditions I like a ski that is wide underfoot. I've used Mantras (102 underfoot) and Peak (104 underfoot). I find that they sideslip more easily than more narrow skis and that's the skill that I need the most when taking a sled downhill.

SDB

Booting up
Skier
When I was patrolling full time, I found the Praxis Freeride to be great boards. They have a flat tail, full camber, with just a little rocker in the tip for powder. 107 underfoot. Pretty stiff ski, so handles well with a loaded toboggan. Most importantly, they are the toughest skis I've ever owned. I worked with them for several seasons, literally walking on rock with them at times, and they hardly showed any wear, never even core shotted them once. I just passed them on to another patroller who will happily abuse them for a few more seasons.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January