Ski patrollers “practice strike” in Park City.

Rainbow Jenny

Out on the slopes
Skier
Regular EMTs also have a very hard job requiring similar skills and knowledge but 24/7 and they are also not paid nearly what I think they deserve.. Yet, people are lining up for the open positions when they are available.
I’ve enjoyed worked with ~50 young EMTs the past 6 months on COVID missions. I am impressed with what they do given their 100 hour training. Now they’re vaccinating too. However, half of them have their eyes set on nursing, PA, or medical schools.

Given the above, ski patrollers are in a totally different league and their work much more technical and demanding. I believe many are medic patrollers in my neck of the woods, not just EMT. If I thought ski instructors are underpaid (which I am one), it doesn’t even begin to speak about how underpaid pro ski patrollers are, being a volunteer patroller myself also.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We all agree they are underpaid. Yet, even in areas where it's super difficult to recruit and retain GOOD patrol staff... offering higher pay and/or better benefits seems to be off the table. Is that because other areas would then have to follow suit to compete (i.e. collusion?). When those other areas are owned by the same mega parent company or follow their wage practices it gets in to that territory.

Last edited: