Ski patrollers “practice strike” in Park City.

Rainbow Jenny

Out on the slopes
Skier
Regular EMTs also have a very hard job requiring similar skills and knowledge but 24/7 and they are also not paid nearly what I think they deserve.. Yet, people are lining up for the open positions when they are available.

I’ve enjoyed worked with ~50 young EMTs the past 6 months on COVID missions. I am impressed with what they do given their 100 hour training. Now they’re vaccinating too. However, half of them have their eyes set on nursing, PA, or medical schools.

Given the above, ski patrollers are in a totally different league and their work much more technical and demanding. I believe many are medic patrollers in my neck of the woods, not just EMT. If I thought ski instructors are underpaid (which I am one), it doesn’t even begin to speak about how underpaid pro ski patrollers are, being a volunteer patroller myself also.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We all agree they are underpaid. Yet, even in areas where it's super difficult to recruit and retain GOOD patrol staff... offering higher pay and/or better benefits seems to be off the table. Is that because other areas would then have to follow suit to compete (i.e. collusion?). When those other areas are owned by the same mega parent company or follow their wage practices it gets in to that territory.

Last edited:

skiJ

Booting up
Skier
The accept a yearly salary. It’s their choice in how they receive it. It’s not 9 months of pay, it’s a yearly salary.

my friends who are teachers are working on nine month contracts -

they do receive medical insurance for the year, beginning with the opening of school or the school district's fiscal year, depending how it is written in the Contract, but it is Clear, the basic term of their employment as teachers is nine months.

That's the contract.

skiJ

TS
Eric@ict

[email protected]

Getting off the lift
Skier
my friends who are teachers are working on nine month contracts -

they do receive medical insurance for the year, beginning with the opening of school or the school district's fiscal year, depending how it is written in the Contract, but it is Clear, the basic term of their employment as teachers is nine months.

That's the contract.

skiJ
I think there is a difference in states. I know our teachers can take it all in 9 or spread it out for 12. It is a contract but in our state its not at the individual level, its union negotiated.

skiJ

Booting up
Skier
Eric -

it can vary between school districts in a state , and
it can vary between categories of teachers within a district --

I don't think I have more to contribute about teacher compensation in a thread that is about possibly unionizing ski patrols -

there is a lot of interesting conversation in this thread about compensation and volunteerism -

I would offer, volunteers by definition do not expect to get paid, unless one wants to claim everyone volunteers for their job., or soldiers in a "volunteer army" did not volunteer for the job of being a soldier. . .
( being a soldier is a job. ) ;

there are rewards to volunteering that are non-monetary - including
some of my best friends, I met through volunteer activities...

whether or not ski patrolling is still appropriate volunteer activity, I would break-down by the responsibilities involved and the history of the volunteer ski patrol -
I believe when the responsibilities are greater than First Responder level of care, and the basic transport of patients to patient care rooms or access to additional Care or transport ( meaning, off the snow slopes ), or involve snow safety work ( avalanche control ),
I question whether those responsibilities are appropriately assigned to volunteers by a Business.
( That is just my opinion ) .

Good luck to patrollers that want to unionize...

Thank you... skiJ

Last edited: