• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski patrollers “practice strike” in Park City.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Happy to report that ski patrollers at Breckinridge settled their contract with Vail Resorts. Let’s hope Park City finishes theirs next.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Happy to report that ski patrollers at Breckinridge settled their contract with Vail Resorts. Let’s hope Park City finishes theirs next.

I was anti union back in the day but since about 15 or so years ago I am pro union 100%. Employers have gotten out of control in many many cases. Greed has no limits.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
$15/hr seems a little bit low to me for the work required, but then again I am not familiar with wages and other incomes in Park City.
What's the starting wage/income for a paramedic, taxi driver, truck driver, ditch digger, construction labourer, etc. in Park City?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Thats the starting salary at a typical McDonalds in Colorado starting with zero skill and zero experience and very little responsibility. That "offer" is an insult.

"“We are very disappointed with the outcome of this vote, especially given the months of discussions to get to this current proposal." Are you friggin kidding me. What did they expect??? Months of discussions and come up with a $15/hour offer. :doh:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
What would a rookie instructor get in neighboring mountains? DV? Alta/Solitude?

Dunno but they would be much better driving Uber if they have a decent car. They would have much more money and actually more time to ski. Sad but true.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
What would a rookie instructor get in neighboring mountains? DV? Alta/Solitude?
How many unconscious people with spinal injuries and severe concussuion wrapped around trees do rookie instructors have to deal with? Besides, see the monopoly thread. The only difference here is there is a limited supply of qualified rookies willing to take on that responsibility.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Patrollers don't just need to walk, they need to abandon their jobs. Same with instructors at PC. So many bitch in private, but are somehow glued to the job. It is like Stockholm Syndrome.

In SW CO at least, patrollers and ski instructors are at that pay scale. Meanwhile, dish washers in town are making $25.00 / hour. It is time for ski hill employees to respect themselves a bit.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
But why?

Sure money isn't everything. Still...

It is not just the money. However you are simply not going to make it in a mountain town on $15.00 / hours, for a seasonal job, with zero benefits. For instructors, you have a few check-ins per day, and you may, or may not get paid for that hour of standing around, waiting to see if you get a client.

More than money, it is what is expected of patrollers and instructors - the degree of training, who pay for training, scheduling (Beaver Creek, for example, upped their minimum number of hours for ski instructors. If you don't meet the minimum, through no fault of your own, through a lack of the area generating business, you have to write a check at the end of the season for your pass), fringe benefits, working for a ski area burnout with close to zero management skills (there are few, rare, exceptions), etc.

Those patrollers are fighting over a well deserved $0.70, for doing work that requires a high degree of skill, and in many cases paying for their training. Meanwhile, a dishwasher is making far more per hour for zero investment in a skill set.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I can only see this as love of the job or hooked on ski time. I just wonder when those two things fail to bring in people. THEN they'll have to bump wages. Market economy I suppose.. Warped by temporary foreign workers who will work for much less..

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
It is not just the money. However you are simply not going to make it in a mountain town on $15.00 / hours, for a seasonal job, with zero benefits. For instructors, you have a few check-ins per day, and you may, or may not get paid for that hour of standing around, waiting to see if you get a client.

More than money, it is what is expected of patrollers and instructors - the degree of training, who pay for training, scheduling (Beaver Creek, for example, upped their minimum number of hours for ski instructors. If you don't meet the minimum, through no fault of your own, through a lack of the area generating business, you have to write a check at the end of the season for your pass), fringe benefits, working for a ski area burnout with close to zero management skills (there are few, rare, exceptions), etc.

Those patrollers are fighting over a well deserved $0.70, for doing work that requires a high degree of skill, and in many cases paying for their training. Meanwhile, a dishwasher is making far more per hour for zero investment in a skill set.
You misunderstood me. I'm agreeing with you on all that. My question was Why don't they quit?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
You misunderstood me. I'm agreeing with you on all that. My question was Why don't they quit?

Its weird. No one that I know "needs" the money, because it is a token amount,. Several have landscape businesses during the summer. They could easily make more money working in a shop, and still net pro pricing. I know several patrollers and instructors who have suffered life altering injuries in collisions with out-of-control, drunk, or stoned guests.

There is definitely a population that gets fed up. There is another that shrugs their shoulders, shows up, and bitches year after year. When you chose to not make a decision, you have just made a decision.

Enjoy.

Sponsor