• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski patrollers “practice strike” in Park City.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I work for a union and none of this surprises me. The number of workers taking collective action through strikes has only increased in the last year after a long decline. It is the ultimate tool in the box that any group of workers have, and yet it takes a lot to overcome the fear and reluctance to pull it out.

Anyway, I come here for ski talk and go to work for these sorts of discussions, so I will leave it at that with one exception: I will not cross a picket line if they are striking when I am in Park City in February!

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thats the starting salary at a typical McDonalds in Colorado starting with zero skill and zero experience and very little responsibility. That "offer" is an insult.

"“We are very disappointed with the outcome of this vote, especially given the months of discussions to get to this current proposal." Are you friggin kidding me. What did they expect??? Months of discussions and come up with a $15/hour offer. :doh:
Agreed. What an insult. These folks are highly skilled people putting themselves at risk to keep recreational skiers safe out there. This is a joke especially for a corporation as flush as Vail resorts. Ridiculous.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Maybe if Vail can't afford to pay ski patrollers a living wage or provide decent service, they aren't as flush as people think they are. Maybe the only reason they seem flush is that investors think they are flush and keep investing. Maybe the bubble will burst.
Disclaimer: I have no stock in Vail. (should be obvious) :ogbiggrin:

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Vail Resorts (MTN) is a publicly traded corporation that files quarterly and annual reports with the SEC. We know exactly how flush they are. I think they should just charge an extra couple bucks for each burger and fries they sell. I mean at $30 (including tax and tip) they’re a steal. Give the money to ski patrol!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Ski Patrolers should be treated like rockstars. They keep the hill running and safe and the whole "raison d'être" of a ski resort is well, the hill and the skiing. Without it the resorts have nothing. Nothing.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Vail Resorts (MTN) is a publicly traded corporation that files quarterly and annual reports with the SEC. We know exactly how flush they are. I think they should just charge an extra couple bucks for each burger and fries they sell. I mean at $30 (including tax and tip) they’re a steal. Give the money to ski patrol!

They have plenty of money to give ski patrol they just dont have to, not yet at least. Trickle down economics is a myth it seems.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've said it before and will say it again: I'm supposed to be there next month but I will not cross a picket line!

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Attachments

• 0C3AE1CB-BC36-4CF7-A833-2C5F2E1AB787.jpeg
    0C3AE1CB-BC36-4CF7-A833-2C5F2E1AB787.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 16

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just made a small donation to them. To be honest, as much as I support this pro ski patrol union, what motivated to make the donation is what Vail did in retaliation.

Park City Ski Patrol has a GoFundMe up here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/pcpspa-solidarity-fund

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid