• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Racing Endangered Letter - Well that didn't last long

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Expansion of the Ski World Cup into the April off the table: FIS sets clear limits

Not only has the FIS stated that the season will not be shifted to end in April, but that they are considering starting the season in September, possibly in South America.

"Despite the wishes of some athletes after a long season, they lack a comprehensive overview of the entire situation, according to Vion."

Translation: Athletes, stay in your lane. Shut up and ski.

FIS: Sand. Head. Buried. To put it politely.

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
I grew up a Yankees fan and but over the last thirty years I have lost interest in MLB as the season and playoffs are just too long. At least the NFL is 18 weeks and then the playoffs. I think the same thing regarding ski racing as I love the sport Thanksgiving through March, but then come April, I turn my attention to the PGA, Formula 1, and other sports.

The good news is the United States and Canada often have much better snow conditions than Europe thanks to some great snow-making technology. I am hoping the women's Mt. Tremblant races are a big success. Go USST and Canada skiing!!!

James

Out There
Instructor
Just ridiculous.
At least the NFL is 18 weeks and then the playoffs.
Yeah, it was 16 weeks. The Superbowl is working towards March.
It’s all hopeless. When you commit $300million to one player…that’s a lot of beers and hot dogs.

FIS is FIFA without any money.

Even on Ed Drake’s ski racing podcast they think Solden in October is stupid.

TS
wnyskier

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe the Saudi sovereign wealth fund will step up and start the LIV Ski league. :doh:
Indoor SL championships. Build venues in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Abu Dhabi, etc. $1,000,000 purse per race. All live streamed, replay on demand. If they wanted to be mean, schedule the races opposite the WC SL races. FIS fields would be decimated.

In all seriousness, the arrogance of FIS is beyond belief. Didn't they have some sort of rain forest initiative to show how green they are?

Oh, and if F1 is a direct competitor, as Vion claims, how do they justify races in October and November when the F1 championship is in full swing?

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
Or how about a new "FIST" -- Federation International du Ski Talk?

Though we don't have nearly enough cash or compromising information to buy off the Austrian federation...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Indoor SL championships. Build venues in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Abu Dhabi, etc. $1,000,000 purse per race. All live streamed, replay on demand. If they wanted to be mean, schedule the races opposite the WC SL races. FIS fields would be decimated.

You say that because it would seem ridiculous to have. I remind you that the FIS have a Summer Ski Jumping Grand Prix.

Completely predictable, TBH. The only thing in that letter that could have been possibly accepted by the FIS was the marketing "public education" focus. But they couldn't really do that, could they?

The only way this is ever going to work is if each specific measure is broken out onto its own crusade.

Want the FIS to have event management to fit carbon standards?

Fight for just that so the organisation can cave and adopt it without being instantly blamed for the measures it didn't accept.

Push a bundle of measures they can't cherry pick and you make anything but a hard 'NO' lose-lose for them.

Last edited:

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
If climate change is shortening ski seasons around the globe, why would making the race calendar longer on either end even be a consideration?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stuff happens. Pre Fenway Park. But I still appreciate her concern.

1698969713016.jpeg

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
Free commerce...........let the athletes organize a union to represent themselves just like other major sports. I don't want to make our sport political, but I think representing the racers to make the sport safer and more fan friendly sounds good. I think we all enjoy watching ski racing and want to keep the sport fun. Having a balance between FIS and the athletes concerns is probably the way to go.

James

Out There
Instructor
If climate change is shortening ski seasons around the globe, why would making the race calendar longer on either end even be a consideration?
No, just the spring end, so you ski when the snow is there. Not starting in October with no snow on a glacier where you dig out the glacier and move the stuff around for a base.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No, just the spring end, so you ski when the snow is there. Not starting in October with no snow on a glacier where you dig out the glacier and move the stuff around for a base.

Move the whole thing to ... Norway maybe? All the ski federations train there, all the athletes live there during the season, allow 'therapeutic home visit exemptions' maybe...

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Time to start early development planning for civilization, including ski racing, in Antarctica!

James

Out There
Instructor
Sounds like FIS is calling the racers spoiled brats. :geek:

"they lack a comprehensive overview of the entire situation"
This is the way of Federations it seems. Keep the serfs producing wheat.

This long article on Luis Rubiales, former Spanish Soccer Federation head, shows the type that rises. What a piece of work.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
shows the type that rises
That seems like way too broad a generalization, trying to tie Rubiales and his behavior to ALL similar federations, as though that's a natural outcome. I know there are several very bad apples, but there are a lot of these types of federations too.

Sponsor

Staff online