• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski school staffing: '21/'22

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I've heard quite a bit of general talk indicating that ski schools will be even more short-staffed this upcoming season than normal. I suspect that this is true mostly due to seasonal lodging being so difficult to find. I could not find anything to rent this season that was near the mountain where I work, so I have chosen to work at another mountain where I was able to find something.

Has anyone else heard talk about this staffing issue? Does anyone have information about how ski schools will handle things should they find it really difficult to hire enough instructors to meet demand for lessons?

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's probably a different situation where I am, as Vail/Stevens Pass has not invited the independent schools back. Last year it was due to Covid, but in May Stevens announced it would be permanent. Two of the schools have closed, the third is only offering summer ski camps at Timberline.

So it could be that all the instructors that used to teach for these schools will be more than enough to compensate for whatever attrition there is at Stevens, or the mountains in WA. Keep in mind, very few instructors live near a resort, most commute from their homes. Most instructors are not full time staff but weekend part-time instructors. There is limited employee housing and no housing nearby.

I don't think I'll teach for Stevens, even part-time, even if I got a free Epic Pass. I could consider Baker, but I think they are restricting hiring to returning instructors (at least that was what they did last year). Crystal often needs instructors but that is the longest distance away for me. Summit at Snoqualmie not only has their own Snow Sports school, but is sole remaining resort in Western WA that allows independent schools to operate, I think between 6 to a dozen schools still operate.

Not sure if I will instruct this season.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That doesn't surprise me in the least, @LiquidFeet, seasonal rentals are like hen's teeth since the Covid/AirBnB/telecommuting trifecta has hit the mountain towns. Glad to see you're back in the saddle at another Mt. at least. I felt for you not teaching last year. I hope you have a good season!

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I suspect the destination resorts will have an extremely busy year. Summer has been insane. No J1s and international staff will find it very challenging to gain entrance to the US. Add housing on top and I suspect my employer will be wanting me to work a lot…

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We've been lucky. Our 2 areas were fine last year and I suspect this year will be no different. Most of us who teach either have our own local places or day trip it.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I suspect the destination resorts will have an extremely busy year. Summer has been insane. No J1s and international staff will find it very challenging to gain entrance to the US. Add housing on top and I suspect my employer will be wanting me to work a lot…
No!!!!!

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
This scenario has crossed my mind.

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
It's one of many issues around staffing, and in particular retaining instructors. The CSIA is lamenting about how few people are going for higher level certifications, staying in the industry long term, and about how the average age of Level 4s is going up, now at 54.

Part of the issue is accommodation, part is the low pay, part is the seasonality, and limited room for professional growth.

From my perspective, in the Canadian Rockies, much of the issues fall directly on the snow schools. They have been heavily pushing and relying on gap year programs for lower end instructors. Young people from Aus/NZ/UK will pay to be an instructor for a season or two, party in the mountains, then leave. There's rarely the intention to stay long term

It's a long term thing, as it's getting trickier and trickier to find a place in a mountain town.

Reactions: zag

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
My son will be a first time instructor at JHMR this year so maybe an instructor shortage will be advantageous for his work schedule. I think right now he aspires to work up the PSIA levels.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Lots of variables remain in the air. I have some staff who sat out last season and remain on the fence as C19 is about the same as last year at this time despite NM being one of the most Vaxed in the nation(78% with at least 1 jab). But they are also jonesing to return to the slopes, & we hope they will.

As for new hires, I think we will have a good turn out. Many people put off a lot of things including working at a ski school. In Santa Fe we are in a little better position than other nearby areas like Taos & Angel Fire in terms of housing issues as one can commute from Albuquerque and the greater Santa Fe area still has reasonable rentals.

Taos is going to be challenged as they have no returning second year instructors, and housing is a harder issue up there, hopefully the new pay and housing programs help out.

One of the positive things created out of the pandemic was smaller class sizes & I hope we can keep that trend. But when it’s busy you either increase the class size or turn people away. It’s one thing to not to be able to offer an intermediate lesson, another if it’s a Never Ever. It’s never a good idea to go out and try it on your own, particularly on a mountain like ours where it gets steep fast.

As a supervisor I don’t get to teach as much as I like to, so being short staffed is sometimes a silver lining for me:).

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Its a bit of a perverse situation when a business would choose to turn away business and reduce basic services rather than raising wages sufficiently to attract labor
I get your sentiment, no one wants to turn away business. The economics of running a ski school dictate that you hire enough people to cover the busy times but not over-hire so you don’t starve the same people at less busy times. It’s a delicate balance to be sure. I’ve hired a fair amount of instructors and start them at competitive wages, but for most the wage, at least as an inexperienced non-cert, is not a deal-breaker.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I suspect it will be a huge issue for BBMR. There is zero affordable housing units up here. Pre-Ikon, weekend volunteers were plentiful - including level 1 and 2 instructors who would work for a season pass and 8 days of volunteer service. Mammoth phased that out during their brief ownership. Alterra is going to have to up their ante or lose a boatload … on day passes, kid’s lessons, rental equipment, and food and alcohol consumption by looky-loo family members. No instructors means no money and level I or II instructors are more than sufficient.

Bendzeekneez

Putting on skis
Skier
It's one of many issues around staffing, and in particular retaining instructors. The CSIA is lamenting about how few people are going for higher level certifications, staying in the industry long term, and about how the average age of Level 4s is going up, now at 54.

Part of the issue is accommodation, part is the low pay, part is the seasonality, and limited room for professional growth.

From my perspective, in the Canadian Rockies, much of the issues fall directly on the snow schools. They have been heavily pushing and relying on gap year programs for lower end instructors. Young people from Aus/NZ/UK will pay to be an instructor for a season or two, party in the mountains, then leave. There's rarely the intention to stay long term

It's a long term thing, as it's getting trickier and trickier to find a place in a mountain town.
I work full time as an instructor in a a destination resort. In Canada.

Accommodation (if you can find it)- $300/week
Groceries in a resort town - $80- $100/week
Gas - $30/week
Beer, Pizza, Eating out -$20/week

Pay is per hour, the average pro will do 30-40 hours/week:
L1 ski pro $15/hr - $450-600.00 (minus tax)
L2 ski pro $17.50/hr - $525-$700 (minus tax)
L3 ski pro $21/hr - $630-$840 (minus tax)

We offer training daily with senior pros that is unpaid but free to attend. Commission on all sales made.

Long service (5+years) gives RRSP matching, family season passes.

With low wages and high cost of living it's hard to stay in the industry.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Yeap. All of this.
  • In Durango, many restaurants are closed several days per week. They simply cannot find help.
  • Service staff are moving out, due to low wages / high rent - if you can even find a rental.
  • You can make $25 / hour washing dishes now. Signs are up that you can get a free beer by even walking in the door and chatting with management.
  • Ski school pays (if I remember) $15.00 / hour for L2. Yes, the mtn is a much better environment than the kitchen. However if you need to male ends meet, $25 beats $15. And that is a $25 / hour with schedule that you can bank on - not piece work based on guest traffic flow.
Being engaged in the business community as a mentor, consultant, and investor, it is really interesting to watch the macro trend. Those businesses who treat employees as their most valued asset, and have a culture of vulnerability, open hard discussion, and courage do not have issues with employee retention. Those that have a toxic work environment build on armor, are failing. Natural selction in process - and I love it. It is a healthy cleansing process for the business ecosystem.

This does not put most of the ski hill managements in the US in a good position.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid