• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski season car prep or Mammoth week lessons???

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Having just bought a new car from a different brand... (My VW wheels won't work on Toyota)

money is tight... Mammoth Ski Race Camp is $1000 for week-long lessons vs. Spending around that much (maybe a little more)...for a set of All-weathers...

As much as I'm a 2-wheelset person... I don't think I want to load up my credit card for a set of 18" wheels plus TPMS plus tires this year AND a set of chains (or cables)....

So, for 235/55r20 tires, as much as I would buy another set of Nokian WR G4 SUV, I can save some money with a set of General Altimax 365 AW.... while then over the next 2 years... buy a set of 18" wheels, TPMS and tires...

Which brings me to problem #2... Snow chains... Konig chains are not cheap. The suspension clearance only allows for the Easy Fit SUV or K-summit XL, which are $500+ options... a set of SCC Super Z6 cables are about $100 (on Amazon), but I don't want to risk scratching the 20" wheels with them....

Option 2:
Get the chains or cables and hope for the best with the factory Bridgestone Alenza Sport A/S, and hope I don't slide the car with them and do the Mammoth Ski Race Camp.

James

Out There
Instructor
Nokian Nordman Solstice? Those must be before the WRG3’s as they’re directional, not asymmetric
Looks like you’re saving about $35/tire whether Soltice or General, compared to WRG4. Maybe $50. So that’s $140-200 for tires you know work. Plus, sell the stock tires, possibly recouping all the difference except mounting charges.

TS
S

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nokian Nordman Solstice? Those must be before the WRG3’s as they’re directional, not asymmetric
Looks like you’re saving about $35/tire whether Soltice or General, compared to WRG4. Maybe $50. So that’s $140-200 for tires you know work. Plus, sell the stock tires, possibly recouping all the difference except mounting charges.
WRG3's came in 3 flavors, depending on the tire size: Assymetric (for "more powerful" cars) and 2 symmetrics, 1 for smaller passenger cars and one for SUV's....and the Solstice are the old WRG3 family. The WR G2 that came before it, both cars and SUV's had assymmetric patterns.

Sadly the Nordman Solstice, isn't available on Discount Tire Direct/America's Tires.... as there should be some sort of sale for thanksgiving/black friday

And nothing on the Encompass AW01

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
I don't know the dates for the camp, but maybe you can gamble - by carrying a set of chains. The 4 - 6 times I've been to Mammoth - I was fine with all season tires - and didn't have to put on chains.

TS
S

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know the dates for the camp, but maybe you can gamble - by carrying a set of chains. The 4 - 6 times I've been to Mammoth - I was fine with all season tires - and didn't have to put on chains.
Once you driven in the snow with 3PMSF tires, it's hard to go back to regular all-seasons:
1) You get going easier and faster
2) You stop faster with more control...
3) You have more control with steering.

Yes, with 4WD/AWD, Caltrans allows all-season M+S tires to pass through for R2 chain controls. It's not worth sliding through an intersection or rear-ending someone because your all-seasons can't stop your car well on packed snow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have you checked out FB market or CL? I have had very good success buying take offs and "used" snow tires, usually less than a season on them.

TS
S

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have you checked out FB market or CL? I have had very good success buying take offs and "used" snow tires, usually less than a season on them.
thanks, but I don't like the feel of a full blown snow tire in the warm coastal CA climate, when I'm not in the mountains. A "performance winter" is fine... but not usually available in my size.