• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski shop Fredericksburg Virginia

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just moved to Fredericksburg VA in the Hartwood area from Seattle. Can anyone recommend a good ski shop here for mounts, tunes, waxes etc?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't speak to F'burg specifically but there are good shops to the north of you:

Alpine Ski Shop of Fairfax is a solid shop with a great tuning department, and they have one of the best bootfitters in the area in the form of Brian Eardley. It's roughly an hour's drive from you.

Pro-Fit Ski in Leesburg is a performance-oriented shop that can do any kind of tune or mount, and Brian Deeley is another boot fitting wizard. This shop is about 90 minutes from you by car.

TS
B

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I can't speak to F'burg specifically but there are good shops to the north of you:

Alpine Ski Shop of Fairfax is a solid shop with a great tuning department, and they have one of the best bootfitters in the area in the form of Brian Eardley. It's roughly an hour's drive from you.

Pro-Fit Ski in Leesburg is a performance-oriented shop that can do any kind of tune or mount, and Brian Deeley is another boot fitting wizard. This shop is about 90 minutes from you by car.
Fairfax is 1hr 10 min Leesburg is 1hr 20 min. I would think there would be something closer but if not thanks for the info.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just did a quick google and nothing really in town for you but did notice Peter Glenn south of you in case that’s closer. My “local” place is 1.5 hours away as the local places don’t have the selection or expertise I desire.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just did a quick google and nothing really in town for you but did notice Peter Glenn south of you in case that’s closer. My “local” place is 1.5 hours away as the local places don’t have the selection or expertise I desire.

@Big J: this is the reason I recommended the two shops for you. They are not likely the closest but they have the talent on staff to provide expert-level tuning, boot fitting, etc. The greater DC market has demand for high-end equipment and tunes, thus why these places are there.

Admittedly my knowledge of places nearer to Fredericksburg is more limited as I do the majority of my skiing in Pennsylvania and points north. The recommendation of Peter Glenn in Richmond is a decent one, though I'm not familiar with their tuning shop's expertise. Perhaps there are more Virginians from places south of DC who can chime in.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I lived near Fredericksburg back in the 90s and don't recall a specialty ski shop in the area. I would travel to places closer to DC as mentioned by Rudi for ski purchases and services. I notice there is a Dick's at Spotsy mall where you could probably buy accessories and a limited range of skis and boots, but for tuning you probably have to go closer to DC or Richmond. Or buy some tools and do yourself. Also, sometimes when you go on vacation to a resort the shops on/near the mtn will offer overnight tunes between ski days.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Born and raised in Virginia. Back in the day ski shops had a hell of a time staying in business, and that was before the Internet. I can only imagine how difficult it must be in secondary locations.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Born and raised in Virginia. Back in the day ski shops had a hell of a time staying in business, and that was before the Internet. I can only imagine how difficult it must be in secondary locations.

For what it's worth, specialty ski shops in the greater DC area have had record sales this season with the pandemic having people thinking about getting outside in the winter. Many retailers are low on stock of low and mid-range skis, and even high-end skis are in short supply. Same with boots, poles, and clothing - it all moved briskly this year in this area.

Whether that's an anomaly remains to be seen, but quite a few people bought new equipment this season.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
For what it's worth, specialty ski shops in the greater DC area have had record sales this season with the pandemic having people thinking about getting outside in the winter. Many retailers are low on stock of low and mid-range skis, and even high-end skis are in short supply. Same with boots, poles, and clothing - it all moved briskly this year in this area.

Whether that's an anomaly remains to be seen, but quite a few people bought new equipment this season.
I do not doubt it. It's crazy everywhere.
I grew up in Virginia Beach, and there was but one shop there. Boy, did I love browsing the VR17s and Stowe hats and Demetre sweaters there.
Little shops like that kept the dream alive for those of us who lived a long way from decent any skiing.

Last edited:
TS
B

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier

When wife is done tele-working she will be working in DC. Can you name any ski shops there that would be good for mounting, tuning etc?

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When wife is done tele-working she will be working in DC. Can you name any ski shops there that would be good for mounting, tuning etc?

Sadly the only ski shop within the District boundaries moved out a few years back. I'd still stick with my recommendations above, adding in Ski Center in Gaithersburg, MD (tho that would be aiming north of DC so would add more commute time to her itinerary).

Alpine Ski Shop would be the most convenient for her, given your location and her working in DC.

skiwv

Booting up
Skier
Check out the places that you ski. I know snowshoe, wisp, and i think seven springs, can both tune on site and there are independent shops near just about every hill in the mid atlantic.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Check out the places that you ski. I know snowshoe, wisp, and i think seven springs, can both tune on site and there are independent shops near just about every hill in the mid atlantic.

True, though resort shops aren't always the best bet in terms of knowledge and ability. That said, Willi's Ski Shop at Seven Springs is held in high regard for their quality of work.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
True, though resort shops aren't always the best bet in terms of knowledge and ability. That said, Willi's Ski Shop at Seven Springs is held in high regard for their quality of work.
Thought Willis had a location in Va as well. Must have closed

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Alpine Ski shop in Fairfax are in the old Willis location. The only other outlets left are Sun & Ski (Chantilly, Falls Church and Gaithersburg - some old Ski Chalet employees are still there) and ...REI.

...and if you're looking for a shop that has techs who are versed in modern tuning techniques, can mount all kinds of bindings (not just the ones sold in their shops), and can fit even the most problematic of feet: go to the earlier shops mentioned.

Sun & Ski and REI serve their purposes well as commodity ski and snowboard shops. They are there, they have buying power, and they can get people equipped with kit that will put people on the hill. They are a "gateway drug" as far as shops are concerned.

But when you want something more you can rest assured that there are shops for said need in the greater DC area.

Sponsor

Staff online