• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Ski Skooty's Youth Size

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just received a new pair of Ski Skootys from SkiTalk.com to be reviewed. These are the youth size edition and just in luck, I happen to have 3rd grader lying around who likes to ski. As the name implies, these boot sole protectors are meant to protect the soles of your ski boots and also provide a more comfortable walking experience. I like the thought of preserving the kiddo’s ski boots, since in the pursuit of keeping costs under control, I try to sell most of her old gear once its outgrown. As for the comfort, anything that makes a ski day easier on her makes it easier for us as parents.

We sized the Skootys against the soles and needed to adjust them smaller. I couldn’t figure it out on my own, mainly because I didn’t want to break the center connector. It initially seemed like that might be a weak point, but is actually quite durable. There was a how-to video on the website which showed the adjustment process. Basically, just pull them apart! It was easy enough once I used some strength, but at 8 years old, it was too hard for my daughter to do by herself. As the Skootys break in, and she eats some more and gets bigger and stronger, I'm guessing she won't need my help too much longer.

However, she was able to independently put each Skooty on. The only problem was a lack of front/back indicators. This caused her to keep getting switched up and it took a few tries to get right. I will probably write a Front/Back in sharpie on each Skooty, but it would have been nice if it came with some type of orientation label.

Here are her thoughts:

• When looking at the Skootys, “They look weird. And are squeeky.”
  • When standing in them, “They make me feel higher, a little rocky (rocking motion) which feels weird.”
  • Once walking, “Ooooooh, its so nice! I love this! And it doesn’t make loud noises like my boot. I can run in them!” (To which I said, DON’T RUN!)
While watching her walk around the house in them, I noticed that her gait was more natural. It was still hard for her to walk up and down stairs. A selling point of the Skooty is that it fits into a pocket for storage when you are skiing. In a kid size medium pants, they didn’t fit in any of the pockets. In a kid size large jacket, it fit one to a hand pocket. I wouldn’t recommend keeping them in there because it rendered the pocket unusable for her hands. Which means for now, mom or dad would have to carry them around. We haven’t had a chance to test them out on the mountain yet, but once we do, I will update this review.

Getting them on:
20220311_164024.jpg

Model Time:
20220311_163915.jpg
20220311_163952.jpg

TS
socalgal

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We were able to test these out in the field recently. The conditions were dry asphalt, with a few puddles to avoid. My daughter was able to put them on herself, while decked out in all her other gear, no problem. As we traversed the parking lot there were a lot of squeals of delight. "I love these!"

At the snow she took them off easily, and we stored them in my husband's jacket pocket. At the end of the day, we repeated the process. Overall these SkiSkootys were a big hit and have earned their place with our gear.

You can really see how the skooty allows for a more natural gait, rather than the typical ski boot plonking.
20220330_090458.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is very cool!

SkiSkootys

SkiSkootys
SkiTalk Sponsor
I just received a new pair of Ski Skootys from SkiTalk.com to be reviewed. These are the youth size edition and just in luck, I happen to have 3rd grader lying around who likes to ski. As the name implies, these boot sole protectors are meant to protect the soles of your ski boots and also provide a more comfortable walking experience. I like the thought of preserving the kiddo’s ski boots, since in the pursuit of keeping costs under control, I try to sell most of her old gear once its outgrown. As for the comfort, anything that makes a ski day easier on her makes it easier for us as parents.

We sized the Skootys against the soles and needed to adjust them smaller. I couldn’t figure it out on my own, mainly because I didn’t want to break the center connector. It initially seemed like that might be a weak point, but is actually quite durable. There was a how-to video on the website which showed the adjustment process. Basically, just pull them apart! It was easy enough once I used some strength, but at 8 years old, it was too hard for my daughter to do by herself. As the Skootys break in, and she eats some more and gets bigger and stronger, I'm guessing she won't need my help too much longer.

However, she was able to independently put each Skooty on. The only problem was a lack of front/back indicators. This caused her to keep getting switched up and it took a few tries to get right. I will probably write a Front/Back in sharpie on each Skooty, but it would have been nice if it came with some type of orientation label.

Here are her thoughts:

• When looking at the Skootys, “They look weird. And are squeeky.”
  • When standing in them, “They make me feel higher, a little rocky (rocking motion) which feels weird.”
  • Once walking, “Ooooooh, its so nice! I love this! And it doesn’t make loud noises like my boot. I can run in them!” (To which I said, DON’T RUN!)
While watching her walk around the house in them, I noticed that her gait was more natural. It was still hard for her to walk up and down stairs. A selling point of the Skooty is that it fits into a pocket for storage when you are skiing. In a kid size medium pants, they didn’t fit in any of the pockets. In a kid size large jacket, it fit one to a hand pocket. I wouldn’t recommend keeping them in there because it rendered the pocket unusable for her hands. Which means for now, mom or dad would have to carry them around. We haven’t had a chance to test them out on the mountain yet, but once we do, I will update this review.

Getting them on:
View attachment 163132

Model Time:
View attachment 163133
View attachment 163134
Thank you so much for the great review. Even though there is no right or left Skooty, we never thought about putting front and back markings on the kids version. Great suggestion!

Sponsor